From 2022 every new car sold in the EU will be fitted with an automatic speed limiter, assisted braking and lane keeping assistance technology

Master Disaster
11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Good thing Trains can in most cases replace trucks

Not in the US.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Takes up too much room.

The only modern trucks that do this that dramatically are the EcoBust F150 and towing over listed capacity. Otherwise you might see a 20MPG truck dropping to 16, whereas we've seen electrics drop by half.

At the cost of range.

Either at the cost of range or the cost of size.

that doesn't answer the question though.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

that doesn't answer the question though.

Yes, it does. There are things that electrics just can’t do that ICEs and hybrids can. And some people (like me) would rather have the option available.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not in the US.

It can replace a lot of the transport. Doesnt need to take all of it. 

And it depends heaviky on how much you lay train tracks.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yes, it does. There are things that electrics just can’t do that ICEs and hybrids can. And some people (like me) would rather have the option available.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

A lot of your points can become equal. we have no stats on up and coming EV systems.

and that did not answer the question at all.

27 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

but my point/question is if a EV truck matches all your needs and has lower cost per mile would you still not buy it?

So if a EV matches all your needs of a ICE car, but has some advantages like cost per mile. would you buy a EV or still buy the less capable ICE?

8 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

1. fair point, but in theory you could add a second battery pack

Adding a second battery pack would decrease the towing capacity, and if it would go in the truck bed then you couldn't haul anything in the back.

2. you could use the batter or bring a hydrogen generator (keeping it eco friendly)

Using the battery would decrease range which would be important if you're towing stuff, a hydrogen generator would be expensive.

3. EV systems can have this too.

Using the EV system as an inverter would also hurt the range.

4. their range drops, they can go from 20 MPG to 5MPG. (IDK which would drop more) 

but my point/question is if a EV truck matches all your needs and has lower cost per mile would you still not buy it?

It depends on the truck, most newer trucks will still get around 15mpg with a trailer, and you can't always stop working and wait for the vehicle to recharge.

Because pickup trucks are very expensive as it is,and an EV truck would probably cost more so lower cost per mile wouldn't really matter.

Edited by Blademaster91

13 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

So if a EV matches all your needs of a ICE car, but has some advantages like cost per mile.

If there weren’t deal breaking downsides, like batteries breaking down over time and use. But for me, an ICE is cheaper per mile.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Millions of lives could be saved if the air is clean but the EU doesn´t care

don't make assumptions like that without any research, Eu has done a lot to reduce the impact of humanity on to our planet.

Most of the pollution is not made in the Eu but in china, India, and other countries.

just as an example electricity i use is around 40% renewable, all business that use watter to clean things like cars have to filtrate and purify the water before releasing it to the sewage system, cars before 2000 i believe can't enter our main cities, and like those there are hundreds more.

Me after reading this news:

♫♫ And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free. ♫♫♫♫ 

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

I believe pure combustion will be phased out in favor of hybrid and full electric vehicles. 

Which is what i mean by 2025. 

one thing we have to keep in mind is the effect that this will have on our electrical system, there is a fairly good chance that we will need to increase its energy output by a LOT, and unless we stop being haters and get more nuclear power plants working the costs will sky rocket ("insert molten salt reactors publicity here")

to be honest i think we could go much further pollution wise by making stuff last longer and keep the cars for longer, dont know if there is any study done on this, but things like changing phones every 2 years is a good way to increase pollution.

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

by 2022 every new car must be fitted with a speed limiter.

i'm so happy. I hate people who speed.

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

But the AA said "a little speed" helps with overtaking or joining motorways. 

why would you need to overtake anyone if they are all going the same speed?

@"BUT MUH FREEDOM" people
I rather give up my freedom to drive recklessly than to be dead due to a reckless driver.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

Lorries and tractors rarely do the same speed as normal traffic.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Adding a second battery pack would decrease the towing capacity, and if it would go in the truck bed then you couldn't haul anything in the back.

Using the battery would decrease range which would be important if you're towing stuff, a hydrogen generator would be expensive.

Using the EV system as an inverter would also hurt the range.

It depends on the truck, most newer trucks will still get around 15mpg with a trailer, and you can't always stop working and wait for the vehicle to recharge.

Because trucks are very expensive as it is,and an EV truck would probably cost more so lower cost per mile wouldn't really matter.

adding a second tank to a truck does the same,

using the gas for a generator does the same

using a inverter on a truck does the same

the only real, important metric is efficiency on each of those tasks.

if a extra tank gives more range per mile added then ICE is better

If a generator has higher fuel to electricity efficiency then a battery pack then ICE is better

and so on, but their is nothing truly holding EVs back besides battery tech and motor efficiency.

over time and demand we will improve these metrics just like how we improved ICEs over time.

15 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Lorries and tractors rarely do the same speed as normal traffic.

well if they are going much slower than the rest of the traffic, it should be easy to pass.

Update: They were discussing this on the radio while I was on my way to work and there was some interesting points made.

Apparently the speed limiter will work by a combination of GPS and cameras which read road signs and will physically limit the vehicle from breaking the speed limit.

Small bursts of speed above limits will be allowed by the software in certain zones though they didn't go into detail on how that will work.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

adding a second tank to a truck does the same,

Only if you’re running a toy fueler. Otherwise the tank fills void space that isn’t available on electrics.

11 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

using the gas for a generator does the same

using a inverter on a truck does the same

The loss for a generator motor is minimal and inverters are pulling power from an electric system that is producing excess.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

39 minutes ago, poochyena said:

@"BUT MUH FREEDOM" people
I rather give up my freedom to drive recklessly than to be dead due to a reckless driver.

its a slippery slope, in a few years you wont be able to do anything, 

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

its a slippery slope, in a few years you wont be able to do anything, 

good. Less humans driving cars on the highway the better.

Just now, poochyena said:

good. Less humans driving cars on the highway the better.

:| 

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Sure, it's even more expected from big and expensive brands, but the point of this tech is to help, not be 100%. Seatbelts and airbags are there to help, but expecting them to 100% safeguard you, it's a bit silly. Brake assist is the same. It's meant to prevent running over kids when reversing, prevents you from hitting other cars at low speeds in city because you got distracted a bit or when parking and tries to predict collisions depending on speed and assumed distance and applies brakes if it thinks you won't apply them in time or with enough force to stop before collision. I think that's really cool stuff. But you shouldn't just assume they'll do the work instead of you, which is why I don't trust auto pilots. They just don't work yet. I take all this tech as "I'm still the driver, if something will really go horibly wrong, it might save me or someone else" and not as babysitting feature I'd actively rely on.

Break assist always scares me. What happens if there is some after me and I need to run them over? Now my car is going to stop me?

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Break assist always scares me. What happens if there is some after me and I need to run them over? Now my car is going to stop me?

what do you mean?

6 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

A wise man once said "Speed has never killed anyone.  Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you".

A hard limiter is okay only if it exceeds the maximum speed limit.  So for instance 140km/h if the speed limit is 120.  That gives you the ability to accelerate out of trouble even when you're driving at the speed limit. 

The problem then is that people will still be able to do 140 in a 30 zone ... except if you put GPS in every car and have a map with all the correct speed limits.  Seeing as these limits may change (they can be lowered as a result of bad weather or road works), that means that every car would need to regularly pull that data from a central server, which is an issue in itself (potential for tracking, what if someone hacks into the server and changes the limit to 5km/h nation-wide, etc)

You also need an option to disable it altogether in emergencies (sometimes you may need to get someone to a hospital and can't wait for an ambulance).  

Personally I'm okay with cars reporting to the authorities when they are speeding excessively.  If you have a valid excuse for speeding no judge will fine or convict you. 

As for automatic braking and lane assist etc, I have a feeling that most people will use those mainly as excuses to browse Facebook on the phone while driving.

Cocaine can definitely kill ?

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Guy has a gun. You try and run him over. Car automatically stops for you. You are left in a bit if a pickle. 

ohh i get what you mean, my father had to do that a few years back

If you can't keep to your own lane, you probably shouldn't be driving. Likewise, if you need help braking a car. Both of these factors are from driver attention, which I think mobile and infotainment use are probably the two highest factors. I see people driving around, looking at their laps constantly.

Pretty sure a speed limiter isn't going to help idiots doing 50mph in 30 zones either.

Putting in laws to help reduce the vehicle being the problem still isn't solving the problem of people being total fking idiots. I see people that should be banned or without a licence on a daily basis, the problem is peoples attitude and not enough policing/monitoring resources.