Suspicious Ads At the Bottom of LTT

TheRuke

Well LTT does not benefit from you contributing Boinc or folding. If you want them to not die a financial death then donate or uninstall adblock. I confess I uninstalled it recently but I have adapted and my favorite content creators are helped by me doing it.

They are not going to go into "Financial Death" They are far from it, they are doing just fine right now with all the support they are getting, adblock makes life easier by not having stupid popups and intruding ads I don't have ad block just because I don't want to help LTT I have it to make my life easier...  Now saying that if I don't donate 5 dollars they are going to go into financial death is one of the most incorrect statements I have ever heard.

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

I'd be fine with them if they were not as sketchy.

xeE27HN.png

I am a straight teen male. Why the fack are dating sites showing up? (and for men too(on primarily male forum))

Its funny how on every single dating site ad I always see the guy in the farthest right

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Well their provided by google and I dont think there is a sketch factor slider in the settings :P

I edited my post. Sum hawt guise r lookn fo som o dissss

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I don't really have too much to say about this other than this:

People need to understand that monetizing a forum is not just a way of breaking even on the costs of running a forum. Linus Media Group's goal this year is to grow. I want to add employees, and I want to make more/better videos. This isn't a one-man show, and for any of those things to happen, Linus Media Group needs money.

We are always experimenting with different ways to monetize our content. When people are okay with stuff, we stick with it. When people get upset (like with integrations in the middle of videos for unrelated stuff like Audible) we change. 

Last year we ran almost no ads and we did a single contribution campaign (first blood) that pretty much covered the bare costs of running the forum for the year (if we don't factor in any money for me, Luke, or 3rd party developers...). That was fine for the time, but it's not the only way to monetize a website.

We'll never know how much revenue Google ads can generate until we try it, so now we're experimenting with that. Personally I think right now we're on the generous side of "fair" by delivering only one ad impression per page, and putting it at the very bottom. It's likely you'll actually see us add more impressions per page if we can do it without making them obnoxious.

Another thing we'll likely alter is adding more banner spots for people who aren't signed in versus people who are signed in. It'll all be dynamic until we've settled on something that's fair for everyone though.

No? Why?

Because. You are in no way supporting LMG. You are using their forum, which they pay for for free. Besides, the ads aren't even intrusive.

Wow, I never even know there were ads on the bottom of the page xD

It's new. That's why I'm posting about it.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

I'd be fine with them if they were not as sketchy.

xeE27HN.png

I am a straight teen male. Why the fack are dating sites showing up? (and for men too(on primarily male forum))

they're google ads. What did you search for/what sites have you visited that makes google think this ad is relevant to your interests?

Well LTT does not benefit from you contributing Boinc or folding. If you want them to not die a financial death then donate or uninstall adblock. I confess I uninstalled it recently but I have adapted and my favorite content creators are helped by me doing it.

As much as I wish the entire internet would turn off adblock, I see any contribution to this forum and its community as valuable. 

There is an actual *cost* associated with contributing computing resources, so while it doesn't put any money in Linus Media Group's bank account, it contributes to our reputation as an awesome forum that helps people overall, so I at least see where tmh85 is coming from on this one.

they're google ads. What did you search for/what sites have you visited that makes google think this ad is relevant to your interests?

That's why I'm confused. Right now I have a power distribution ad which may be showing up because I was using some LTC Calculators. And I haven't been looking for car insurance at the age of 15.

All I ask is that you dont put anything on the right or left of the screen as you will my vertical monitor viewing pleasures.

All I ask is that you dont put anything on the right or left of the screen as you will my vertical monitor viewing pleasures.

Just curious... Would top be preferable? I don't want to put anything on the top, but it's nice to hear from others.

There's nothing wrong with this one small unobtrusive ad in the bottom. Besides, it helps @LinusTech pay his bills! :)

(and pay @Slick.....maybe....on a good day  :ph34r: )

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

That's why I'm confused. Right now I have a power distribution ad which may be showing up because I was using some LTC Calculators. And I haven't been looking for car insurance at the age of 15.

Google just gives you ads relevant to what you search.

I seem to only be getting Rackspace ads (hosting), probably because I've been doing alot of stuff around web hosting lately.

Also, depending on the ad, you can click a little x at the top right of the ad, and Google will filter out those kind of ads.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

OK this is getting ridiculous!

4yaRzEa.png

Just curious... Would top be preferable? I don't want to put anything on the top, but it's nice to hear from others.

I'd prefer vertical ads to ads on the top.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Google just gives you ads relevant to what you search.

I seem to only be getting Rackspace ads (hosting), probably because I've been doing alot of stuff around web hosting lately.

Also, depending on the ad, you can click a little x at the top right of the ad, and Google will filter out those kind of ads.

But these have absolutely nothing to do with me!

Car Insurance

Interest in Men

Interest in Thai Women

DOC > PDF Converters

Click Here ads

Oh gods no! The bottom is perfect i never scroll down past the online members anyways lol

But these have absolutely nothing to do with me!

Car Insurance

Interest in Men

Interest in Thai Women

DOC > PDF Converters

Click Here ads

The ads are based off your search history :P Maybe someone's been using your computer or using a computer that you're signed into (if you have a Google account).

Click the little x at the top right of the ad and Google will try and filter them out.

15" MBP TB

As much as I wish the entire internet would turn off adblock, I see any contribution to this forum and its community as valuable. 

There is an actual *cost* associated with contributing computing resources, so while it doesn't put any money in Linus Media Group's bank account, it contributes to our reputation as an awesome forum that helps people overall, so I at least see where tmh85 is coming from on this one.

The only reason most of the internet uses adblock is because of these websites filled with pop up "update your flash player" ads and pages filled top to bottom in ads.

I don't mind ads, I prefer them like this:

9VXkkEB.png

As long as they are well designed and relevant, I actually prefer the presence of them, I like the GeForce ads at the side of Scan.co.uk and their banners (especially the steambox one, their steambox looks epic.

I dislike google ads generally because they are intrusive. I keep getting them for anti-balding lotions and other irrelevant stuff.

Compatible with Windows 95

I see MrWizard is reading.

How's that new admin tag treating you, T?

Im beginning to think hes turning into a bit of a sell out. 

Really, not selling out? When he made the forum he said no stupid ads, then we said, ones from real sponsors are ok. and here we are with ads. then he says that he wont ask for money on the forum. and what does he do? make donations. Hes a sell out. 

You don't have to be here man. The ads aren't hurting you. They are helping us have a site to come back to and a little more. He isn't asking for money. He didn't make me spend the money. I did it on my own free will and I'm thrilled to help out with my hard earned cash.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

What have you been looking at?

Nothing! Based on these ads I'm a gay guy who loves to date Thai women. WAT.