Suspicious Ads At the Bottom of LTT

TheRuke

I see MrWizard is reading.

How's that new admin tag treating you, T?

It's strange, I look at this admin tag and I see LTT forum with a mushroom cloud over it, sort of like a glimpse into the future... Weird.

<p><a data-ipb="nomediaparse" style="text-decoration:none;!important" href="https://twitter.com/MrWizardLTT"><span style="color:#99ccff;">@MrWizardLTT</span></a>

Nothing! Based on these ads I'm a gay guy who loves to date Thai women. WAT.

I also own a car and am currently looking for 15% on car insurance. At the age of 15.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I also own a car and am currently looking for 15% on car insurance. At the age of 15.

i_know_that_feel_bro_by_rober_raik-d4cxn

Compatible with Windows 95

You know... The ads are at the bottom of the page. You don't actually have to look at them :P

You know... The ads are at the bottom of the page. You don't actually have to look at them :P

People just have to nit-pick and find something wrong with everything :( Just can't seem to make some people happy.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Can't make everyone happy, I think over time people will just except it.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

As much as I wish the entire internet would turn off adblock, I see any contribution to this forum and its community as valuable. 

There is an actual *cost* associated with contributing computing resources, so while it doesn't put any money in Linus Media Group's bank account, it contributes to our reputation as an awesome forum that helps people overall, so I at least see where tmh85 is coming from on this one.

I understand your point but if everyone had adblock and also folded for the LTT team then you guys would still be losing money.

What I am trying (and failing) to say is similar to the concept of Maslow's hierarchy of needs I feel the forum's basic needs should be satisfied before anything else should be worried about.

P.S. Your Admin title is fabulous.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Can't make everyone happy, I think over time people will just except it.

Yeah it's kinda funny how much outrage there is every time we change something small. I think my favourite one was the box dropping intro that I added like 3 years ago. EVERYONE HATED IT. And then when I tried to get rid of it, EVERYONE through a shit-fit.

<3 you Internet... 

I got a google ad about google ads.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I understand your point but if everyone had adblock and also folded for the LTT team then you guys would still be losing money.

What I am trying (and failing) to say is similar to the concept of Maslow's hierarchy of needs I feel the forum's basic needs should be satisfied before anything else should be worried about.

P.S. Your Admin title is fabulous.

Yep, totally get your point. We'd rather have the cash, frankly. We can spend money on equipment, wages, electricity, Internet, and all kinds of awesome stuff. Karma... Not so much.

But balance is good too, and everyone has their own way of helping with something. One approach is never the be-all and end-all.

I don't mind at all, all the ads I see are for headphones so I don't mind.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeah it's kinda funny how much outrage there is every time we change something small. I think my favourite one was the box dropping intro that I added like 3 years ago. EVERYONE HATED IT. And then when I tried to get rid of it, EVERYONE through a shit-fit.

<3 you Internet... 

LOL yeah I remember that. I personally thought the box was a nice touch.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I didn't know there were ads on the site until you folks pointed it out....

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I didn't know there were ads on the site until you folks pointed it out....

Yeah its great how unintrusive they can be. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Exactly, which is why it's awesome that they're there.

I also wouldn't care if they went on the main page on the right hand side, seeing as they wouldn't get in the way.

IMHO, the rules for ad are

1. Be non-intrusive (no pop ups, at all)
  2. Be non-distracting (No bright flashing, highly animated ads)
  3. Be placed somewhere where they don't get in the way (like at the bottom)

If they follow those 3 rules, I couldn't care less if there's ads, especially when the little money that comes from them goes to a good cause. :)

omg i hate the ones that come down from the top of the page and then follow you as you scroll <_>

<3 you Internet...

nyannnnnnn

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I see them when I go down to comment on a post and have an OCD attack. It would also be awkward for my mom to see a Thai dating site ad.

I got a google ad about google ads.

Yo dawg

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

Just curious... Would top be preferable? I don't want to put anything on the top, but it's nice to hear from others.

Well bottom works out well and i actually almost never see it. if you were going to do the top I would almost make those places like squarespace, audible, and stuff like that that are more direct supports or what ever and make the ads yourself or have them make them so they seem far less intrusive. You know like kinda blend with the fourm or something. the bottom one is fine how it is i rarely see it since it below all of the forum stuff.

I know doing adds not through a add service now days is kinda hard and cumbersome but most of the ads look hideous and really impede with the browsing of websites. having them at the top and bottom isnt all that bad but id prefer if the one at the top looked better and maybe got you more money directly if possible as people are far more likely to click on them.

Some of the worst ads are the one in the text on news or review sites or in between posts on the forum. The other kind I quite hate are the ones on the side that follow you down as your scrolling.

I'd prefer vertical ads to ads on the top.

you mean the ones on the sides that make it just down right horrible to anyone with a fullscreen monitor or browsing with a widescreen in portrait?

Oh gods no! The bottom is perfect i never scroll down past the online members anyways lol

I agree and rarly go down there my self, that may not be a good thing for linus though...

It's strange, I look at this admin tag and I see LTT forum with a mushroom cloud over it, sort of like a glimpse into the future... Weird.

There are many ways that that could be taken. I hoping its the one that deals with the Nyan Cat, not than many other much worse things my brain thought up.

If I just saw an ad for how to treat herpes... is google telling me something I don't know?

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

omg i hate the ones that come down from the top of the page and then follow you as you scroll <_>

yes same here and its even worse when your on your phone, even more so than a vertical monitor.

<3 you Internet... 

Ah, those were the days!   :D

My PC specifications are in my profile.

TBH, I didn't even notice there was an ad on LTT until I came across this thread and the OP mentioned it.

If one ad on the bottom of the page means that it will support the forum and keep it going, then keep it there. It's not intrusive whatsoever.

...my 2 cents

TBH, I didn't even notice there was an ad on LTT until I came across this thread and the OP mentioned it.

If one ad on the bottom of the page means that it will suport the forum and keep it going, then keep it there. It not intrusive whatsoever.

...my 2 cents

Yeah, I don't really mind either. I guess this has turned more into a rant about how bad Google adsense is xD

7f22269cf0b0897f502477f26a1952a5.png

Yeah sure, I'll play a video converter.

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

7f22269cf0b0897f502477f26a1952a5.png

Yeah sure, I'll play a video converter.

I got the same ad about an hour ago