Noctua's New NT-H2 Thermal Compound & NA-CW Cleaning Wipes

The Benjamins

noctua_nt_h2_10g_6_678x452.jpg

Noctua has today unveiled its new NT-H2 thermal compound as well a new cleaning solution with the NA-SCW1 cleaning wipes. The NT-H2 looks to improve upon the already existing NT-H1 thermal paste with a new chemical structure and zerocuring time.

The new Noctua NT-H2 thermal compound builds upon the previous success of the NT-H1 material with a new blend of metal oxide microparticles for an improved and lower thermal resistance. The lower bond-line thickness with conventional mounting pressures allows for less air cavity concentration which should provide better thermal conductivity between the heatsink plate and the heat spreader. As with the Noctua NT-H1 compound, the new NT-H2 doesn't require a curing period and Noctua state that an application of NT-H2 can be used effectively for up to 5 years on a CPU.

Noctua, as per their own in-house testing, determined that the NT-H2 operates up to 2°c lower than NT-H1. The NT-H2 is also non-corroding and non-conductive so there's no risk of short-circuiting components and is suitable to use with all types of heatsinks including copper, aluminium and nickel plated.

The new Noctua NA-SCW1 cleaning wipes are designed to clean CPUs, GPUs and the contact surfaces of heatsinks. Each individual wipe is moistened with a custom detergent mixture for enhanced cleaning capability, but Noctua hasn't highlighted which materials have been used. Noctua's NA-CW cleaning wipes are available seperately in packs of 20.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13907/noctua-new-nt-h2-thermal-compound

https://noctua.at/en/products/thermal-grease

https://noctua.at/en/noctua-introduces-new-thermal-compounds-and-cleaning-wipes

noctua_na_scw1_1_4_575px.jpg

Who doesn't love some brown wipes!!

Nice to see a improvement of a product, I prefer to use Noctua thermal paste, and fans.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Nice to see.

I always found Noctua thermal paste that comes with their heatsink to be pretty good.

Great heat transfer and lasts a very long time.

As for the cleaning wipes, I have used ones in the paste (which I can't find anymore) and I found to be better to clean thermal paste new or old than using 99% alcohol method. That said, it's not this infomercial hyperbole better or Nvidia RTX on/off.  So if the cost is very low it can be neat if it is good.

Hopefully NT-H2 is as nice as NT-H1 to work with

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

can be used effectively for up to 5 years on a CPU

Hm. I never take the CPU-cooler off or change the paste unless there's some specific reason to do so; some of my PCs have 10 years old paste still in them..

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If this will be shipping with new Noctua coolers, great. But how many people actually go out of their way to buy Noctua thermal paste alone? There is like high end stuff like Kryonaut or MasterGel Nano from CM or GC Extreme and all the rest is basically just some "generic" stuff. It'll do, but it's pretty much just that. It'll do. I'll never understand people cheaping out on stuff like thermal paste and not going for best of the best. If you have a high end CPU and high end cooler, placing a limiting factor in between sounds like a silly thing to do. Especially considering even expensive thermal paste at 20€ is cheap considering it'll be top performing and that syringe will last you almost a lifetime. But oh well.

with a new blend of metal oxide microparticles for an improved and lower thermal resistance.

new NT-H2 doesn't require a curing period 

NT-H2 operates up to 2°c lower than NT-H1.

The NT-H2 is also non-corroding and non-conductive so there's no risk of short-circuiting components and is suitable

If its actually non conductive and performs better than Kryonaut, then it will be the paste to beat!

Considering I literally just changed the thermal paste on my CPU this news comes too late. It was 100% dried up after 7 years.

Funnily enough, the tube of said paste was still good so I reused it. (I did have to soften it up a bit by putting the syringe in boiling hot water... but I also had to do that when I first bought it in order to apply it... it was a tube of "Shin-Etsu X23-7783D")

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Considering I literally just changed the thermal paste on my CPU this news comes too late. It was 100% dried up after 7 years.

Funnily enough, the tube of said paste was still good so I reused it. (I did have to soften it up a bit by putting the syringe in boiling hot water... but I also had to do that when I first bought it in order to apply it... it was a tube of "Shin-Etsu X23-7783D")

you fell for the shin-etsu meme. if you have to boil it to use it no wonder it dried up after 7 years :P

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 hours ago, TrigrH said:

If its actually non conductive and performs better than Kryonaut, then it will be the paste to beat!

It really bothers me that they don't show the W/mk rating on Notcua's website for NT-H1 or the new version.

If I remember correctly Kryonaut is at 12.5 W/mk, with the higher the number meaning it's more thermally conductive.

27 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

you fell for the shin-etsu meme. if you have to boil it to use it no wonder it dried up after 7 years :P

Eh, the only reason I had to change it, was because I decided to do a full cleanup of my computer by removing everything. It wasn't overheating or anything, heat was still being conducted just fine. Which isn't bad for 7 years of usage.
The boiling thing was just to get it soft enough to spread it. Strange, but it works.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

wait... theres actual "better" or "worse" thermal paste??

...wow

really?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

36 minutes ago, mxk. said:

really?

really what?

✨FNIGE✨

Just now, SlimyPython said:

really what?

I was making sure I wasn't getting wooshed about how you didn't know that all thermal paste is different.

It's a known fact that Intel's paste is absolute garbage, and some compound that Linus reviewed wasn't super good compared to more expensive options for sale.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

2 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I was making sure I wasn't getting wooshed about how you didn't know that all thermal paste is different.

It's a known fact that Intel's paste is absolute garbage, and some compound that Linus reviewed wasn't super good compared to more expensive options for sale.

I was thinking they were all made similarly, I never knew that innovations can happen for thermal paste and "better" versions

✨FNIGE✨

Just now, SlimyPython said:

I was thinking they were all made similarly, I never knew that innovations can happen for thermal paste and "better" versions

Yup. The chemical compounds and elements/compounds used in the paste can greatly impact heat transfer. That's why liquid metal is so good for higher temps compared to some of the shitty paste.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

8 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Yup. The chemical compounds and elements/compounds used in the paste can greatly impact heat transfer. That's why liquid metal is so good for higher temps compared to some of the shitty paste.

nice to know...

✨FNIGE✨

Damn... Bought a tube of NT-H1 not too long ago for my PC, now I'm gonna be missing out on those extra 2 degrees :(

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

8 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Hm. I never take the CPU-cooler off or change the paste unless there's some specific reason to do so; some of my PCs have 10 years old paste still in them..

It does dry up over time.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

17 minutes ago, AkatsukiKun said:

Does this taste any better than the old one?

As a beta tester of it, it is a different taste the old one tasted more cake like and this on tastes more icecream

2 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

To be specific outside of pushing the overclock as high as possible the difference between anything above the lowest quarter of performers is largely irrelevant.

1 hour ago, AkatsukiKun said:

Does this taste any better than the old one?

I wouldn't know about the taste, a matter of preference I guess, but it makes my teeth whiter...