Can LTT survive on Linux for a week?

firefrazer

Hi Linus,

This is a challenge for you and your team to use any Linux distro as your daily driver for a week..

Are you upto it?

They would have to ditch Premiere... And for a company which more or less relies on using it... That's not a great idea. Like at all.

Hell, the time they would have to invest into just getting all their editing machines set up for Linux and likely Resolve is not worth it, especially when they just have to unfuck that mess in the end.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Considering that they heavily rely on Adobe CC and probably Office 365, probably not. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Not unless they give their editors and graphics design people the week off.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, OnyxArmos said:

Why would anyone use Linux

*cough* For Education, for Software development, Android and Chrone OS is Linux, ~99% of all Servers of the Interwebs is run on Linux, Smartwatch OSs are based on Linux, Smarthome gadgets and IoT is run on Linux, Kitchen appliances run on Linux, Supercomputer run on Linux, Cars run on Linux, NASs, Routers, Switches and other Network gear run on Linux and of course all of the Linux distributions are Linux !, Raspberry Pis, Ardrinos etc etc... *cough* *cough*

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

if what you do is make money by producing content on regular schedule, no.

if what you do is toying around like druaga1, why not?

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

5 hours ago, Pascal... said:

99% of all Servers of the Interwebs is run on Linux, Smartwatch OSs are based on Linux, Smarthome gadgets and IoT is run on Linux, Kitchen appliances run on Linux, Supercomputer run on Linux, Cars run on Linux

Those variants of Linux have little resemblence to the OS family the FOSS community champions.

And half of those things are true only due to strict technicality.

6 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

Masochism or because you can't afford to upgrade from your archiac POS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

They would have to ditch Premiere... And for a company which more or less relies on using it... That's not a great idea. Like at all.

Hell, the time they would have to invest into just getting all their editing machines set up for Linux and likely Resolve is not worth it, especially when they just have to unfuck that mess in the end.

They can learn kdenlive

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 hours ago, Fetzie said:

Not unless they give their editors and graphics design people the week off.

They can learn gimp and kdenlive which are good enough. I have seen people doing content creation with VERY primitive tools. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

upgrade from your archiac POS.

bUt WiNdOwS xP eXiStS

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

6 minutes ago, wasab said:

They can learn gimp and kdenlive which are good enough. I have seen people doing content creation with VERY primitive tools. 

And by the time they figure out how to switch part of their workflow over to linux the week is over.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

7 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Android and Chrone OS is Linux

If you want to stretch it that far, then macOS is also technically Linux. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 hours ago, Pascal... said:

*cough* For Education, for Software development, Android and Chrone OS is Linux, ~99% of all Servers of the Interwebs is run on Linux, Smartwatch OSs are based on Linux, Smarthome gadgets and IoT is run on Linux, Kitchen appliances run on Linux, Supercomputer run on Linux, Cars run on Linux, NASs, Routers, Switches and other Network gear run on Linux and of course all of the Linux distributions are Linux !, Raspberry Pis, Ardrinos etc etc... *cough* *cough*

Also this is why people get turned off by looking into Linux. Anytime someone asks what is good about Linux they get a sermon, when all people want is just a list of benefits that they get by using it compared to macOS or Windows. aka "What's in it for me?"

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

Because Linux is the superior Operating System and is only used by highly intellectual individuals.

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If you want to stretch it that far, then macOS is also technically Linux. 

Android uses the linux kernel, MacOS uses the BSD kernel IIRC.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Also this is why people get turned off by looking into Linux. Anytime someone asks what is good about Linux they get a sermon, when all people want is just a list of benefits that they get by using it compared to macOS or Windows. aka "What's in it for me?"

i just tell people the benefits

1. it's free

2. it doesn't spy on you

3. it has SO MUCH potential if you have the technical knowledge to set that stuff up. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i just tell people the benefits

1. it's free

2. it doesn't spy on you

3. it has SO MUCH potential if you have the technical knowledge to set that stuff up. 

That’s the same as MacOS though :( 

Just now, RorzNZ said:

That’s the same as MacOS though :( 

nah. iirc you can't do VFIO passthrough to game using a VM and then Looking Glass so you can view it on the host on macOS. or have a rolling-release update model.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

nah. iirc you can't do VFIO passthrough to game using a VM and then Looking Glass so you can view it on the host on macOS. or have a rolling-release update model.

But you don’t need a VM to game and updates are installed automatically?  :/

Just now, RorzNZ said:

But you don’t need a VM to game and updates are installed automatically?  :/

you do for Windows games.

also do you know what a rolling-release update model is? it means that i can install the OS and it will get continued support. there is no version 1 or version 2. there is one version that receives continued support. that saves you the trouble of downloading a 4 to 6gb update once or twice a year. also all your software and stuff is always the latest version. 

you do sacrifice some stability with an update model like this, but i've never had issues with a rolling-release distro due to updates. and i keep good backups anyway. if it bricks i can reinstall the OS and then reinstall all my software with one line in terminal that i can just copy-paste. 

She/Her

27 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

- No OS-level spyware,

- Full control over what's going on on your hardware aka no weird updates at the worst moment and stuff like that,

- No virus (that's mostly due to the fact that the Linux community is relatively small so as a virus developer it's not viable to invest your time)

- Very lightweight (which is why it's used for doing complex treatments in machine learning and stuff while reducing resource consumption)

- Native support for most tools advanced users might need (support for all file systems and not just NTFS like Windows, FTP/SSH client...). No crappy CLI.

- Android-like package management (You can install all the tools you need by downloading from an approved depository and in a super straightforward way.).

- etc.