Can LTT survive on Linux for a week?

firefrazer

I can't really be bothered to reply to every one of those replies, so I'm just gonna go with:

No u 

On 1/27/2019 at 3:17 AM, firefrazer said:

Hi Linus,

This is a challenge for you and your team to use any Linux distro as your daily driver for a week..

Are you upto it?

I know that I wouldn't.

Why? because I already did it...

I like to use new stuff. And the longest I could bear with "alternative OS" was MacOS X...

It was nice in the Beginning but every day it was more painful...

Though I might be able to survive a couple of days on Ubuntu. Haven't tried that yet, only used Mint and OpenSuse so far as Desktop OS, not UBuntu...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 1/27/2019 at 7:51 PM, OnyxArmos said:

Why would anyone use Linux

this is quite possibly the most incompetent thing i have ever seen anyone write...

either the rock which you live under is so big that it engulfs our conceivable universe or you had a brain fart or stroke while writing this....

those are the only two options that i am able to come up with...

and don't think i didn't see those reactions of agree and love @DrMacintosh and @TetraSky

no opereating system is perfect, don't you dare think that your OS is better than others.

windows has it's uselessness from Microsoft, OSX has it's locked down ecosystem, and Linux has it's complexity and weirdness

what you decide to use is your choice and others will have their opinion about that OS, but that is not a reason to shame and disregard other OS's as inferior at all nor is a reason to think yours is better cause it looks better or something like that.

thats extremely closed minded, i have friends who use OSX as their main OS and others who use linux yet they don't fight over which one is better.

each OS has it's strong points

OSX has the ease of use that it's been working on since the 80's, windows has it's compatibility with other applications and long time business users, and linux has it's extremely excellent configuration of it's systems and settings and other crap that it has.

just because your OS is different doesn't mean that yours is better.

*knock knock*

wait one sec, i've got someone at the door...

helloooooh shit!!!

*masked figure kills him*

*masked figure unleashes mask to reverse himself to his victim*

*it's wendel from LV1Techs*

linux is the savior of our earth, it will become all....

*wendel runs away hissing*

(three days later)

*friend walks in*

he's dead again?

god damnit salv...

*gives me 1-up mushroom*

GASP!!!!!!

now thats a funny skit!

*canned laughter effect plays*

*role Seinfeld credits*

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

1 hour ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

this is quite possibly the most incompetent thing i have ever seen anyone write...

either the rock which you live under is so big that it engulfs our conceivable universe or you had a brain fart or stroke while writing this....

those are the only two options that i am able to come up with...

and don't think i didn't see those reactions of agree and love @DrMacintosh and @TetraSky

no opereating system is perfect, don't you dare think that your OS is better than others.

windows has it's uselessness from Microsoft, OSX has it's locked down ecosystem, and Linux has it's complexity and weirdness

what you decide to use is your choice and others will have their opinion about that OS, but that is not a reason to shame and disregard other OS's as inferior at all nor is a reason to think yours is better cause it looks better or something like that.

thats extremely closed minded, i have friends who use OSX as their main OS and others who use linux yet they don't fight over which one is better.

each OS has it's strong points

-snip-

just because your OS is different doesn't mean that yours is better.

-snip-

Eh, I do agree that Linux has its use and it's great for what it can do.

But.
I wouldn't see the mainstream user on it, especially people who don't know much about computers.

To me, Linux is that OS you use for a few reasons, like
-Work reason, on servers or programming.
-Genuinely love Linux for some reason.
-Curious about what it is and a desire to learn.

-Cheapskate that doesn't want to pay for Windows.

Among others. (Don't bring Android into this, just isn't the same experience)
It's just not an OS for the general public, for as long as it keeps heavily relying on the Terminal to do mundane tasks. Such as installing the latest version of a particular piece of software that isn't available in the Software Repository... Or installing a software from source code because whoever made it didn't bother making an installer file for it...

I liked that post from a mainstream point of view, the kind of people who don't have time(or will) to read up how to use the terminal or do whatever other things on Linux...
For someone who doesn't know how to use Linux, doing something as simple as finding the setting to change the resolution can take a while.(It took me about 2 minutes to find that option when I last tried Linux... which is 1m50s too long)
Linux is simply NOT a user friendly OS.

Windows certainly has its flaws, but compared to Linux it's much easier to use and if you need help with something, you'll usually find an answer quickly on Google and if you can't, well the community tends to be more welcoming than the Linux community who will just tell you RTFM or maybe link you to a wiki page if you're lucky. That's just how toxic the Linux community is.

But maybe don't call others closed minded or incompetent next time just because you don't agree with their opinion, eh? Because that makes you closed minded for being unable to see where they are coming from.
Also try to avoid assuming things, like how you say they are shaming and disregarding other OSs.
Nowhere did they say that. If anything, taking their post at face value, it was a question asking for answers as to why anyone would use Linux.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Linux is simply NOT a user friendly OS.

*cough*

https://itsfoss.com/best-linux-beginners/

*cough*

Nowhere did they say that.

check DrMacintosh's post history, not once have i seen him diss his daily driver OSX... yet he will talk about how it's better than other's

hell i roasted him and corrected him here: 

as did others because the amount of bullshit he was spouting was insane, things like

CUDA? Apple would rather people use OpenGL and programs on macOS don't use CUDA acceleration.

which is COMPLETELY INCORECT, so many programs on OSX use CUDA due to it's performance benefits as i explained in the post.

there is a difference between opinion and console peasantry (or in our case, OSX peasantry, ha ha...), where console peasantry is where the user will outright deny facts about his console that state that it's inferior to other ones and still think that it's better than others even though the evidence is correct (to a degree), he doesn't want to listen to it and instead live in "his" world

and...

actually no, i don't need to explain opinion...

anyways, he is being a console peasant where he will ignore or try and nullify anything bad about his OS, while agreeing with others saying good things about it in a way that resembles an old fashioned Reddit circle jerk

that is flat out closed minded...

not

But maybe don't call others closed minded or incompetent next time just because you don't agree with their opinion, eh?

i can disagree with someone elses opinion (in the non-comunist countries, this is know as free speech)

while the incompetent thing was a bit harsh i admit, that doesn't mean i can't speak my mind and challenge their opinion.

if you didn't challenge an opinion things like racism would still exist as it was false facts based on belief, stereotype and opinions, overtime people challenged this it started to become wrong to be racist against a group.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Eh, I do agree that Linux has its use and it's great for what it can do.

But.
I wouldn't see the mainstream user on it, especially people who don't know much about computers.

Thing is for those Linux is not too bad, if you choose the right distribution.

And if there is the Updater not killing your system (wich it shouldn't usually on non rolling release distributions)

But what really pisses me off is that garbage OSX UI ripoff with the Dockbar rotated by 90°...

That's just absolute horse shit that makes no sense. 

Whoever decided that shit should be fired...

Don't get me wrong, It isn't the worst idea, if it would be an option. But its not an option. Its the DEFAULT!

thing is though that nobody from the MacOS enviroment will ever switch voluntarily and they are like 3% on Steam. The other like 90% of Desktop users are Windows Users and those are the ones you want to target as many want to try something new and move to something else with all the M$ fuckups...

But then you kick them in the balls with the OSX ripoff shit...

And that is one of the Problems of the "Open Source" community, as well as other nonsense horse shit that has NOTHING to do with coding and making the Programm/code they are responsible for better.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 1/27/2019 at 12:10 PM, Pascal... said:

*cough* For Education, for Software development, Android and Chrone OS is Linux, ~99% of all Servers of the Interwebs is run on Linux, Smartwatch OSs are based on Linux, Smarthome gadgets and IoT is run on Linux, Kitchen appliances run on Linux, Supercomputer run on Linux, Cars run on Linux, NASs, Routers, Switches and other Network gear run on Linux and of course all of the Linux distributions are Linux !, Raspberry Pis, Ardrinos etc etc... *cough* *cough*

Lol, no.That's like saying we're all hamsters because we share 98% of DNA with them... That's how much all of the listed is "Linux". They may all be based on Unix, but they aren't Linux. Might be nitpicky distinction, but an important one.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Lol, no.That's like saying we're all hamsters because we share 98% of DNA with them... That's how much all of the listed is "Linux". They may all be based on Unix, but they aren't Linux. Might be nitpicky distinction, but an important one.

You know what I mean, have a nice day.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

17 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

*knock knock*

wait one sec, i've got someone at the door...

helloooooh shit!!!

*masked figure kills him*

*masked figure unleashes mask to reverse himself to his victim*

*it's wendel from LV1Techs*

linux is the savior of our earth, it will become all....

*wendel runs away hissing*

(three days later)

*friend walks in*

he's dead again?

god damnit salv...

*gives me 1-up mushroom*

GASP!!!!!!

now thats a funny skit!

*canned laughter effect plays*

*role Seinfeld credits*

What is this cringe 

I'm not sure how much multi-positioning the crew at LMG does, so this may be unrealistically simplified.

Accounting, bookkeeping, etc. could be done on Linux.  I don't know which specific package they have in use, but I've run my business at first in LibreOffice Calc and then in Quickbooks online via a Linux machine.  My business is a lot smaller than LMG, so grain of salt.

Script writing shouldn't be much of a problem.  I've never done that job, but I'm envisioning word processing, research via web browser, office productivity via Slack or Trello or some such...depending on the writer they might miss AutoHotKey or something, and while AutoKey is equivalent in functionality it's different to use, so I wouldn't expect them to get up to speed in a week.  I'd like to hear from a LMG writer to maybe complete my understanding of their job.

Video editing at the scale and grade used at LMG straight up isn't going to happen on Linux.  I very strongly doubt there's even a codec that can handle footage from those Red 8k cameras they use.  OpenShot or kdenlive are good enough for amateurs like me, but they straight-up won't handle LMG's workload.  Lightworks is your best chance there; it's a full on professional grade video editing package that is natively supported on Linux.  Several Hollywood pictures were edited with Lightworks.  I would be interested to see an LMG editor attempt to use Lightworks on Linux and give some impressions, but I wouldn't expect a week's productivity out of them.

Photo editing:  GIMP plus extensions can get every job done that Photoshop can, but it's got the UE of a kidney stone.  I'm envisioning the guy who has a separate keyboard just for PS macros chewing his own ears off within a few hours with GIMP.  On a related note, my personal favorite image editor is CLI-based; take that for what you will.

Testing, benchmarking, gaming related, etc. are impractical to do on Linux, though they've made the occasional Linux focused video in the past, and probably have more to come in the future.  I would personally like to see Ubuntu run on a custom-built desktop PC just to see any issues with graphics or whatnot; a lot of the information out there--and all of my personal experience--is about running Linux on laptops. What about custom desktops?

I wouldn't be surprised if they've got some Linux machines in daily service for IT use; I know a couple of their servers run CentOS. 

LMG could easily do it, if they put the effort forward. Linux does anything Windows can. For anything they need specific Windows applications for, they can run Windows in KVM with PCIe passthrough to a GPU for video editing. It's not the fault of Linux that Premier doesn't run in Linux. It's the choice of Adobe for not providing support. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

On 1/29/2019 at 9:15 AM, RejZoR said:

If you want to be nitpicking and try to correct others, you really shouldn't say Linux is "based on Unix".

Linux is not Unix, and products from all the things listed exist which runs Linux.