Facebook says they're sorry AGAIN, this time for compromising your photos

AlTech

ArsTechnica reports that Facebook says they're sorry again. This time the social media company has said a bug has compromised a number of photos.

They claim that Up To 6.8 Million users could be affected and that Up To 1500 apps had access to the photos.

Another day, another privacy issue with Facebook.

The company announced Friday morning that a photo API bug might have resulted in millions of people having their private photos become improperly accessible by up to 1,500 apps for a period of 12 days in September 2018.

As Facebook described it in a blog post by Tomer Bar, a company staffer:

When someone gives permission for an app to access their photos on Facebook, we usually only grant the app access to photos people share on their timeline. In this case, this may have affected up to 6.8 million users and up to 1,500 apps. The bug also impacted photos that people uploaded to Facebook but chose not to post. For example, if someone uploads a photo to Facebook but doesn't finish posting it—maybe because they've lost reception or walked into a meeting—we store a copy of that photo so the person has it when they come back to the app to complete their post.

"We're sorry this happened," Bar concluded.

OOof. Another "Facebook screws up and data is compromised" situation? Damn. If it hasn't already been turned into a meme then it really should at this point ?.

I'm feeling even better about not using Facebook ?.

And GG to everybody still using Facebook. Oh wait, that's like over 2 Billion people.... RIP.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, LordOTaco said:

Yep willingly...the NSA would be proud...

Sad but true. And the number of people using Facebook Messenger -_-.....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

They need to rebuild their permission system.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

23 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

People still use Facebook?

Yes. 

This is a tech forum where social interactions are not a thing. Most the population still uses facebook.

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Yes. 

This is a tech forum where social interactions are not a thing. Most the population still uses facebook.

Social interaction. Facebook is not a social interaction. It's a pretentious bullshittery with extreme privacy risk that no one of the normies is aware of. It's actually frightening to know what's going on with no way of telling dumb masses what they are doing and to prevent it.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Social interaction. Facebook is not a social interaction. It's a pretentious bullshittery with extreme privacy risk that no one of the normies is aware of. It's actually frightening to know what's going on with no way of telling dumb masses what they are doing and to prevent it.

Please show me on the doll where Mark touched you.

People use it to stay in touch so yes, its social interaction. How about tone your arrogance down.

9 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Please show me on the doll where Mark touched you.

People use it to stay in touch so yes, its social interaction. How about tone your arrogance down.

My arrogance lol. It wasn't my photos that got leaked to unauthorized people. For the second time because of Facebook's incompetence XD But hey, because they are so big they are untouchable. And because people are dumb, they just continue using their garbage despite numerous cockups that put everything they have at risk.

Just now, RejZoR said:

My arrogance lol.

Just now, RejZoR said:

And because people are dumb

My case rest.

hey just continue using their garbage despite numerous cockups that put everything they have at risk.

Info that people put on facebook is public and most people know that. This is not just a facebook problem as almost every site is leaking info and data breaches. There are worse sites putting more important info at risk that your photo you put on facebook. 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

My case rest.

Info that people put on facebook is public and most people know that. This is not just a facebook problem as almost every site is leaking info and data breaches. There are worse sites putting more important info at risk that your photo you put on facebook. 

I's not public when you have it set to Private and yet 3rd party people you didn't specifically approve have access to it because Facebook has no clue what the hell they are doing anymore becasue everything go so big. But go on excusing Facebooks incompetence. And yeah, people are dumb. That's not me mocking people, it's just a fact. Otherwise Facebook wasn't used by billions of people all willingly uploading their most private things.

I's not public when you have it set to Private and yet 3rd party people you didn't specifically approve have access to it because Facebook has no clue what the hell they are doing anymore becasue everything go so big. But go on excusing Facebooks incompetence. And yeah, people are dumb. That's not me mocking people, it's just a fact. Otherwise Facebook wasn't used by billions of people all willingly uploading their most private things.

If you are uploading to social media, its public. I am not excusing Facebook's incompetence but shit slips through. I mean you are clearly smarter so you should take over and fix it. 

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

And yeah, people are dumb. That's not me mocking people, it's just a fact. Otherwise Facebook wasn't used by billions of people all willingly uploading their most private things.

Everyone is dumb except you huh. I mean as you said its a fact. Wonder why I brought up arrogance?

People are will to upload a lot of things but a majority still has competence not to upload incredibly private photos. 

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

If you are uploading to social media, its public. I am not excusing Facebook's incompetence but shit slips through. I mean you are clearly smarter so you should take over and fix it. 

Everyone is dumb except you huh. I mean as you said its a fact. Wonder why I brought up arrogance?

People are will to upload a lot of things but a majority still has competence not to upload incredibly private photos. 

It's not public if system presents it to the user as "Private". If that wasn't the case, why even bother having these controls. Why even have passwords to login? Why not just have it all public entirely then? Eh?

You think it has to be a photo of you naked to be considered "private"? You posting a selfie of you with your name is a huge privacy risk already and people don't even realize how much one can abuse that "little thing" alone. And info with that like time, location and so on. And what's even worse, people uploading photos of people who don't even want to be seen publicly on the internet and who aren't even using Facebook.

Just assume that anything you put on the internet is public, and you don't have to worry about this shit.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

*faceplam* 

That's also one of the reasons why I don't have any "Social Media*, except this Forum. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

49 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's not public if system presents it to the user as "Private"

Posting to social media whether marked private or not as long as its accessible is still public. 

52 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If that wasn't the case, why even bother having these controls. Why even have passwords to login? Why not just have it all public entirely then? Eh?

Not even close to what I was trying to say. But whatever.

53 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

You think it has to be a photo of you naked to be considered "private"? You posting a selfie of you with your name is a huge privacy risk already and people don't even realize how much one can abuse that "little thing" alone. And info with that like time, location and so on. And what's even worse, people uploading photos of people who don't even want to be seen publicly on the internet and who aren't even using Facebook.

I didnt mention and context of the photo. And sure, posting a photo with your name removes privacy but you are obviously ignorant with public info before social media. 

But risk is decreasing over time with technology built to fight it. Sure you could get my info on my location for today, I was getting gas at 7am then drove to x,y for breakfast then to x,y to go to work. You might have a heart attack but little could be used for this. So what if facebook tracks my location when I took at selfie at the Grand canyon, 100 other fucking people were there too so my public location was known. 

So you can keep calling people who use facebook retards but there is a point where you are shutting out your social life just because "what ifs"

3 hours ago, myselfolli said:

I am so glad I deleted my account way before all of this stuff went down

Assuming accounts get actually deleted and that Facebook doesn't keep shadow accounts of those that don't use/stopped using facebook

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 hours ago, myselfolli said:

I am so glad I deleted my account way before all of this stuff went down

I'm so glad I never got on the facebook bandwagon and didn't like it well before it was cool... (everyday I realize how much of a hipster I actually am)

Oh no, pics of my pc build and some shuddy pictures I took from google images. What will I do?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you