Linus visits the SKETCHIEST sites on the Web

Thanks to Bitdefender for sponsoring this video! If you're new to Bitdefender and want to try it for yourself you can get six months of Bitdefender Total Security service FREE at https://www.bitdefender.com/GetTotalSecurityLy

What happens when Linus throws caution to the wind and visits some of the sketchiest sites on the internet?

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

1 minute ago, GabenJr said:

Thanks to Bitdefender for sponsoring this video! If you're new to Bitdefender and want to try it for yourself you can get six months of Bitdefender Total Security service FREE at https://www.bitdefender.com/GetTotalSecurityLy

What happens when Linus throws caution to the wind and visits some of the sketchiest sites on the internet?

This is going to be great!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Tell Linus to get some Antivirus software anyways, because stuff still happens, websites get hijacked, ISPs still get infected, malware these days can often be spread by reliable sources, like for instance the incident a while back where Crunchyroll got hijacked by some hackers into downloading ransomware onto your PC via their Windows App. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Also they don't have TPSC break their protection, because they know he can do it quickly an easily. Also Ransomware is stronger than ever it just isn't making the media anymore.

But does BitDefender block you from installing Bonzi Buddy?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

So I downloaded and installed it from your link. It is giving me an expiry date of 31 days from now. I thought it would be 6 months from now?5b1d80d73f9e2_BitDefenderexpirydate.PNG.6dbe2c79755698b0d737907e63497786.PNG

So how many of you use antivirus softwares these days?? I mean windows defender is kinda good enough for techy ppl like us but i'm interested to see how many of u guys use these softwares 

I don't even have my PC's connected to the internet very often (cellular is my primary internet), so I don't tend to bother beyond the stock protection in Windows.

If I was Linus's sister though, I'd probably be kicking the brother's butt for being made an example of...

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

It seems like linus and many other people think "common sense" is enough to keep you protected...which is 100% incorrect.

Literally any program that is on your computer could install malware or viruses through the automatic updates distributed from the host servers.

This can happen in the background, completely silently, and you would never realize it unless you go and manually read the hundreds of thousands of system and program files, if you even knew what to look for.

Remember when one of the most popular screenshot programs got it's update servers hacked and automatically installed an infected 'update' on hundreds of thousands of computers?

Remember when a linux download server got hacked and tens of thousands of people downloaded an OS with malware?

An antivirus is literally the only way to catch these types of things.

"Common sense" can't keep you safe when a program or download you trust becomes malicious.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, coonwhiz said:

So I downloaded and installed it from your link. It is giving me an expiry date of 31 days from now. I thought it would be 6 months from now?5b1d80d73f9e2_BitDefenderexpirydate.PNG.6dbe2c79755698b0d737907e63497786.PNG

Bitdefender uses the dd/mm/yyyy date format, so the subscription actually ends on the 7th of December ;)

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It seems like linus and many other people think "common sense" is enough to keep you protected...which is 100% incorrect.

Literally any program that is on your computer could install malware or viruses through the automatic updates distributed from the host servers.

This can happen in the background, completely silently, and you would never realize it unless you go and manually read the hundreds of thousands of system and program files, if you even knew what to look for.

Remember when one of the most popular screenshot programs got it's update servers hacked and automatically installed an infected 'update' on hundreds of thousands of computers?

Remember when a linux download server got hacked and tens of thousands of people downloaded an OS with malware?

"Common sense" can't keep you safe when a program or download you trust becomes malicious.

"Common sense" is merely one layer in security. AntiVirus is another layer (or several), as is a good configuration (using a non-admin account, 2fa for email, etc), and file backups (in the event a reinstall is necessary). Robust security relies upon a multitude of layers to achieve maximum effectiveness, certainly not limited to what I listed.

Reducing your attack surface (aka, "common sense") is helpful, but it should by no means be the sole layer of security as trusted applications and sites can be compromised. Some hacker or rogue employee could very well stick malicious code into thjs site or an ad here, and many here would be in danger.

Edit: Spectre and Meltdown also exist, so VMs won't provide absolute protection either.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You have a point here but these things are NOT as common as other ways like clicking on everything etc. And windows defender does a decent job of keeping things safe "enough"

The slow downs caused by antivirus softwares, being annoying etc are why I avoid them

9 minutes ago, Klenex said:

Bitdefender uses the dd/mm/yyyy date format, so the subscription actually ends on the 7th of December ;)

935e0c1c8bae077cad4cf1c1b8e35dc5.png.f9fba8bfb12dab516b9ab5f983a37381.png

They don't o.O

Edit: I'm guessing it has to do with the link in the description as when I clicked it it said the code was invalid.

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

"Common sense" is merely one layer in security. AntiVirus is another layer (or several), as is a good configuration (using a non-admin account, 2fa for email, etc), and file backups (in the event a reinstall is necessary). Robust security relies upon a multitude of layers to achieve maximum effectiveness, certainly not limited to what I listed.

Reducing your attack surface (aka, "common sense") is helpful, but it should by no means be the sole layer of security as trusted applications and sites can be compromised. Some hacker or rogue employee could very well stick malicious code into thjs site or an ad here, and many here would be in danger.

Yep but most of PC users already have "windows defender" which is kinda good so "common sense" + "windows defender" are good enough is u ask me + windows defender is free

Should have tested memez virus smh

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I need to ask something about anti viruses in general, wouldn't it slow down the computer?
I have had bitdefender before and it tanked my CPU and RAM. Also do I really need anything more than Microsoft's defender?
Note: I do know how to keep myself from obvious scams and viruses.

-- BSOD : ( --

When I was very young and new to the internet I remember getting an ad saying I won a free iPad and I tried so hard to get my parents to fill out the info but they were trying to say they didn't believe and I couldn't believe they would just throw away the opportunity to get a free iPad. I cringe just thinking about how un-smart I was with tech back then.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Common sense + virus protection still won't stop a madar chod and his ben chod from doing a syskey on you through a remote connection, or if that connected PC got the MEMZ. 99.99% of people DON'T HAVE the know how or set up to run a VM.

Unfortunately, gpedit has it's limits on what executables you can block from running and physically pulling the Ethernet cord takes time. A more elegant solution would be to have the remote session default to only VIEW your screen, instead of handing over control to your keyboard/mouse. Alternatively, a hotkey paired with a script to disable the Ethernet (or wireless) adapter would be a good thing to set up in Windows as well.

running that av is like constantly running chrome with 20 youtube tabs playing at the same time

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I've actually used those Freemake Video Downloader and Converter programs he showed as changing secured stuff. They served me well and I've seen other people recommend them. Anyone else have issues with it or know any more about how this could be hazardous?