Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GabenJr

Linus visits the SKETCHIEST sites on the Web

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks to Bitdefender for sponsoring this video! If you're new to Bitdefender and want to try it for yourself you can get six months of Bitdefender Total Security service FREE at https://www.bitdefender.com/GetTotalSecurityLy

What happens when Linus throws caution to the wind and visits some of the sketchiest sites on the internet?

Anthony @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP             

I'm a handsome man with a charming personality. - Gabe Newell

1 minute ago, GabenJr said:

Thanks to Bitdefender for sponsoring this video! If you're new to Bitdefender and want to try it for yourself you can get six months of Bitdefender Total Security service FREE at https://www.bitdefender.com/GetTotalSecurityLy

What happens when Linus throws caution to the wind and visits some of the sketchiest sites on the internet?

This is going to be great!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Tell Linus to get some Antivirus software anyways, because stuff still happens, websites get hijacked, ISPs still get infected, malware these days can often be spread by reliable sources, like for instance the incident a while back where Crunchyroll got hijacked by some hackers into downloading ransomware onto your PC via their Windows App. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Also they don't have TPSC break their protection, because they know he can do it quickly an easily. Also Ransomware is stronger than ever it just isn't making the media anymore.

But does BitDefender block you from installing Bonzi Buddy?

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Windows 10 Home  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 250GB WD SATA | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 7 Ultimate | Kali Linux

Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 (8.0) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) 

So I downloaded and installed it from your link. It is giving me an expiry date of 31 days from now. I thought it would be 6 months from now?5b1d80d73f9e2_BitDefenderexpirydate.PNG.6dbe2c79755698b0d737907e63497786.PNG

I don't even have my PC's connected to the internet very often (cellular is my primary internet), so I don't tend to bother beyond the stock protection in Windows.

If I was Linus's sister though, I'd probably be kicking the brother's butt for being made an example of...

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

It seems like linus and many other people think "common sense" is enough to keep you protected...which is 100% incorrect.

Literally any program that is on your computer could install malware or viruses through the automatic updates distributed from the host servers.

This can happen in the background, completely silently, and you would never realize it unless you go and manually read the hundreds of thousands of system and program files, if you even knew what to look for.

Remember when one of the most popular screenshot programs got it's update servers hacked and automatically installed an infected 'update' on hundreds of thousands of computers?

Remember when a linux download server got hacked and tens of thousands of people downloaded an OS with malware?

An antivirus is literally the only way to catch these types of things.

"Common sense" can't keep you safe when a program or download you trust becomes malicious.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, coonwhiz said:

So I downloaded and installed it from your link. It is giving me an expiry date of 31 days from now. I thought it would be 6 months from now?5b1d80d73f9e2_BitDefenderexpirydate.PNG.6dbe2c79755698b0d737907e63497786.PNG

Bitdefender uses the dd/mm/yyyy date format, so the subscription actually ends on the 7th of December ;)

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It seems like linus and many other people think "common sense" is enough to keep you protected...which is 100% incorrect.

Literally any program that is on your computer could install malware or viruses through the automatic updates distributed from the host servers.

This can happen in the background, completely silently, and you would never realize it unless you go and manually read the hundreds of thousands of system and program files, if you even knew what to look for.

Remember when one of the most popular screenshot programs got it's update servers hacked and automatically installed an infected 'update' on hundreds of thousands of computers?

Remember when a linux download server got hacked and tens of thousands of people downloaded an OS with malware?

"Common sense" can't keep you safe when a program or download you trust becomes malicious.

"Common sense" is merely one layer in security. AntiVirus is another layer (or several), as is a good configuration (using a non-admin account, 2fa for email, etc), and file backups (in the event a reinstall is necessary). Robust security relies upon a multitude of layers to achieve maximum effectiveness, certainly not limited to what I listed.

Reducing your attack surface (aka, "common sense") is helpful, but it should by no means be the sole layer of security as trusted applications and sites can be compromised. Some hacker or rogue employee could very well stick malicious code into thjs site or an ad here, and many here would be in danger.

Edit: Spectre and Meltdown also exist, so VMs won't provide absolute protection either.

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You have a point here but these things are NOT as common as other ways like clicking on everything etc. And windows defender does a decent job of keeping things safe "enough"

The slow downs caused by antivirus softwares, being annoying etc are why I avoid them

9 minutes ago, Klenex said:

Bitdefender uses the dd/mm/yyyy date format, so the subscription actually ends on the 7th of December ;)

935e0c1c8bae077cad4cf1c1b8e35dc5.png.f9fba8bfb12dab516b9ab5f983a37381.png

They don't o.O

Edit: I'm guessing it has to do with the link in the description as when I clicked it it said the code was invalid.

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

"Common sense" is merely one layer in security. AntiVirus is another layer (or several), as is a good configuration (using a non-admin account, 2fa for email, etc), and file backups (in the event a reinstall is necessary). Robust security relies upon a multitude of layers to achieve maximum effectiveness, certainly not limited to what I listed.

Reducing your attack surface (aka, "common sense") is helpful, but it should by no means be the sole layer of security as trusted applications and sites can be compromised. Some hacker or rogue employee could very well stick malicious code into thjs site or an ad here, and many here would be in danger.

Yep but most of PC users already have "windows defender" which is kinda good so "common sense" + "windows defender" are good enough is u ask me + windows defender is free

Should have tested memez virus smh

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Original Config

CPU: i5 6500, Graphics Card:  ASUS dual gtx 1070, Case: thermaltake core v21, PSU: EVGA 600B, Motherboard: msi b150m bazooka, HDD: WD blue 1tb, SSD: Sandisk z400s 250GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 8gb (x2)

I need to ask something about anti viruses in general, wouldn't it slow down the computer?
I have had bitdefender before and it tanked my CPU and RAM. Also do I really need anything more than Microsoft's defender?
Note: I do know how to keep myself from obvious scams and viruses.

--The one who knows but doesn't knows--

When I was very young and new to the internet I remember getting an ad saying I won a free iPad and I tried so hard to get my parents to fill out the info but they were trying to say they didn't believe and I couldn't believe they would just throw away the opportunity to get a free iPad. I cringe just thinking about how un-smart I was with tech back then.

Razer Blade Stealth | i5-7200u | 8GB DDR3 1866

Ryzen 1700X [3.9GHz OC] | 16GB DDR4 2400 [2667 OC]Sapphire R9 Fury 4GB [CrossFire]

Phone Pixel 3 || Android - 9.0

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing" - John Powell

Common sense + virus protection still won't stop a madar chod and his ben chod from doing a syskey on you through a remote connection, or if that connected PC got the MEMZ. 99.99% of people DON'T HAVE the know how or set up to run a VM.

Unfortunately, gpedit has it's limits on what executables you can block from running and physically pulling the Ethernet cord takes time. A more elegant solution would be to have the remote session default to only VIEW your screen, instead of handing over control to your keyboard/mouse. Alternatively, a hotkey paired with a script to disable the Ethernet (or wireless) adapter would be a good thing to set up in Windows as well.

running that av is like constantly running chrome with 20 youtube tabs playing at the same time

I wrote a blog post about why I fucking hate video games.

Spoiler

ASUS X470 PRO - R7 1700 - MSI RX 480 8G Xfire - Corsair DP 16GB @2933 - EVGA 750 G2 - Crucial MX500 250GB - WD 4TB - Corsair 730T

Scrap server: Intel D5400XS ♦ 2x Xeon E5205 ♦ GeForce 6200 ♦ 4x1GB Samsung FBDIMM ♦ 160GB WD + 4x2TB WD Blue ♦ 550W Modded PSU ♦ Sentey GS6300

I've actually used those Freemake Video Downloader and Converter programs he showed as changing secured stuff. They served me well and I've seen other people recommend them. Anyone else have issues with it or know any more about how this could be hazardous?

Common sense, hm...weren't you a victim of social engineering?

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Blood Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 5TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors