Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Effort that shouldn't have to be spent though, bulbs should last at least a couple of years.

I agree, but I just accept that there's only so much you can expect from a halogen bulb. And not like i can just throw anything else in it... so that's the only real option. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Interesting.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Interesting.

Technically and reality are thankfully two different realms.

49 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Technically and reality are thankfully two different realms.

One of my favorite quotes from Adam Savage "I reject your reality and substitute my own" 

It's so funny because it's true. 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

I agree, but I just accept that there's only so much you can expect from a halogen bulb. And not like i can just throw anything else in it... so that's the only real option. 

This picture shows both extremes of about what you can get out of a halogen bulb.   Comparing the stock 1990 era sealed beam to a hellla E-Code H4 Housing upgrading from stock 50/60w bulbs to 90/100w and Rewiring the headlights with 12g wire.  (also shows a left hand drive beam pattern compared to a RHD one)  This headlight upgrade really impressed me and the bulbs surprisingly still work with 200,000km put on the car since.

00Zm0rM.jpg

The LED drop in bulbs are really hit or miss and you really need to do your research on what brand and even model you get.  Some aren't any brighter, other will glare real bad, some will get too hot, some have fans that prevent you from putting the dust caps back on, leading to moisture/condensation issues.  Best bet is to go to a model specific forum and find out what people are having good luck with.  In my one vehicle I replaced the 55w HID kit it had with LED and it made a remarkable difference in glare.

Man. I really need to replace my bulbs. They seem really awful. Have thought about doing a conversion to projectors. Or just throwing in a pair of better H7 bulbs.

6 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

Man. I really need to replace my bulbs. They seem really awful. Have thought about doing a conversion to projectors. Or just throwing in a pair of better H7 bulbs.

Depends on the enclosure, for example on my golf the high beam is basically a glorified flashlight. It does not light far away in a concentrated beam, the lighting image resembles a flashlight. So to the joy of the other drivers i put in a 20000 lumen LED set, its much better now but i have to be careful when using it. Its practically a retina burner.....
LED.jpg

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Which is why they're rightfully banned in Germany and your car loses it's operating licence. Headlamps have to light out the street and not blind other people.

Umm did you missed the high beam part? My low beam is still a regular h7.... (<- dont even ask, manual says h7 so i bought a osram nightbreaker h7) 

/EDIT

And BTW its not rightfully banned, in a projection type headlamp leds are just fine. (Experience with my motorbike, granted those leds are only 5000 lumen....

1 minute ago, Benji said:

IIRC the ex-boyfriend of a relative had those, even those are not allowed here, lol.

Those have the so called E numbers so the local authorities can bugger off within the EU.....

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

So, your country also has one of those systems?

Ours is more like "how we can block any legal modifications". Luckily when a part has a e-approval number they dont have a choice. Once a part gets this approval in one of the member states it will be valid in all member states. Nightbreakers have this approval so the police can go back to eating donuts and drinking coffee...... :old-dry:

Fun fact, i gone through Austria and Germany several times with my bandit, not once i got pulled over for the sports exhaust.....

#YayNewShoes

New tires (all-seasons) are now mounted, balanced and cleaned (2 are in the sun drying from the pressure washer cleaning, and the 2 below just got some tire foam on) ;

Spoiler

IMG_20210413_134437.thumb.jpg.973591983e46cb96a3dea6ee97220606.jpg

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

11 minutes ago, Benji said:

have an ABE number, but the part still had to be passed on through an extra process and only gets a temporary operational licence that has to be renewed every two years together with the main checkup.

Get a lawyer, if its a factory original part that is made for that car they dont have the right to bitch about it.

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

all-seasons

I dont trust in those, got a used steel rim set for the winter tires and change it myself when the time comes. Those things slip on snow like a pig on ice......

7 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

Used to be the Osram Rally 65W H7, it was a rebased H9 since the H7 and H9 share the same filament position. Gave you roughly 2100 lumen from 65W vs about 1500 from 55W. It's sadly discontinued, I think there is a similar Narva bulb available in some markets. I used to run the Rally in my Celica before I swapped in the OEM HID setup. The Rally with a heavier wire harness rivaled the hot spot intensity of almost all OEM HID setups on the road, but lacked the width.

For high beams if you have 9005 you can sub in 9011. I haven't tried any LED in my Celica high beams yet because of the awkward bowl shape I'm not confident I'll get a useful beam from them...and I have to pull the bumper and lights to get at them.

24 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I dont trust in those, got a used steel rim set for the winter tires and change it myself when the time comes. Those things slip on snow like a pig on ice......

I'm in Canada, I can't legally drive on all-seasons tire during winter.

Currently still have the winter tires on the car, but with temperatures getting closer to 20°c it's time to swap, I had to get all-seasons / summer tire (old ones were completely done), went with these as they're close to the Michelin Defender LTX but only half the price ... they're bit more noisy but my SUV isn't well insulated and road noise is already loud IMO.

I have 2 sets of rims and tires ; 1 set for winter, 1 set for the other 3 seasons.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

I'm in Canada, I can't legally drive on all-seasons tire during winter.

Fair enough, i drove a car once that had all-season tires in the summer. Those had an uncomfortable "stretchy" feeling compared to the summer tires on my car.....

54 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Fair enough, i drove a car once that had all-season tires in the summer. Those had an uncomfortable "stretchy" feeling compared to the summer tires on my car.....

Never had proper summer tires, all my previous cars were cheap econobox that I didn't spend much money on, and my current one is a SUV, and local shops only have all-seasons tires for my car (even the better $800 tires (Michelin Defender LTX) that I was looking at are technically all-seasons even though some site classify them as summer tires).

9 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Never had proper summer tires, all my previous cars were cheap econobox that I didn't spend much money on, and my current one is a SUV, and local shops only have all-seasons tires for my car (even the better $800 tires (Michelin Defender LTX) that I was looking at are technically all-seasons even though some site classify them as summer tires).

I had proper summer tires for a while, but it was one of the few times in my life when it iced over here in Texas. It was like driving on bricks, I had to use another car to get to work. Also on some cross-country trips I've run into sub-freezing roads and light ice, so I always keep all-seasons on my car.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

9 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Loved the summer tires when I had my mazda. Didn't like how they found every rock on the road. The dry performance was obviously great, but the wet performance was the most impressive. Never hydroplaned.

Having issues with my passports tires. Feels like flat spotting where its much worse when cold then goes away when they warm up. Thing feels like its gonna vibrate itself apart when cornering at a moderate speed (highway here has a sharp turn where its really bad). I don't think I will ever use conti tires again. Like I said, the summer tires on my mazda were great. They were awful in my civic, and having issues on my passport in less than 2k miles.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I guess it depends what Continental tire you get, I had a set of DWS and now a set of DWS06 on my Mazda and they've been amazing. They're competent in the snow and dry/wet whether it's warm or cold they have plenty of grip. They ride decent, not the most silent tire but it's to be expected with their tread pattern.

The tires that really have blown me away have been the Dunlop Z2 and Z3. For a high performance 200TW summer tire they've been very quiet and comfortable. The Z3 a bit less than the Z2 were. The grip is amazing when the weather is appropriate.

I´m learning, i think i was stupid enough to join the Tesla hype. 

Needed a new car, the Passat were 3 years old, and it was time to do something, all taxes was removed from Electric cars in denmark.. (in a span of value, so REALLY expensive ones still are taxeted) and with the 150% taxation that is quite a saving..

so a Model 3 LR fell from a "taxeted" cost of 760.000Dkkr to 460.000dkkr,  so i jumped on one, a new one delivered here in March..

I don´t get people, i love my car number 2 a Petrol driven 200hp Polo GTI from 2019, i HATE my Tesla..

* assembly quality is piss poor at best, and the fun part is i went through 80 cars on the lot, and all had the same issues, every panel is a bit off, not with the shutlines, which looks fine, but sticking out.

* all bolts that are painted, has been touched at the Freemont plan, there are areas where brackets are, without paint, because the "trunk" was aligned after paint, doors where aligned and all other stuf.

* my car was FILLED with black hands in the white interior, so it had to be deep cleaned by Tesla after delivery

* crooked steering wheel needed a 4 wheel alignment, jumpy ride, got a new tire, and wheel alignment, did not fix it, had to go to an external shop to get it properly fixed.

and so many more small issues, and the thing is.. it seems like i am one of the "lucky" customers that got a good car..

No doubt Tesla has a really great software side, but the automotive part is poor, the fun thing here is, that this is not "lack of" ability to assemble a car, since it is systemic poor quality, it is obvious, that it is a design issue, of to many welds, that make the chassie skew, and generally just a car that is designed without the knowledge on how not to create these issues.

fun the small things you also learn..

* i HATE the navigation, not being able to run POI´s or multiple routes (and the Elon explanation of this is because he know better what "OPTIMAL" route i need to drive than i do, and of course i do not need to see other areas of the world) an example is us driving on vacation, "Elons" route 193KM, motorway 130km/h all the way, 10 minutes faster than the route i wanted to take, that was normal road... 90km/h 191Km .. the fun thing is here, that my route left me with 20% MORE battery left... 

* And apprently i need to be a part of the TESLA "CULT" where i do not complain. 

Trying to get rid of the car, and get a A6 55 TFSE. simply just hate it. 

1 hour ago, RasmusDC said:

- snip -

Ah, so good to finally see someone talk truthfully about Tesla cars.

All you really need to think about is: Tesla is a "new" company to the car world and they are trying to make their cars (electric cars at that) available to everyone, it's obvious that they're going to make compromises. And they've been shown left, right and center.

Ever since I saw the Model S' interior for the first times I was like "this is so bland, so plain" and that's not necessarily a bad thing but does show the lack of effort in that regard (compromise). They're simple cars, they're goal is to sell electric cars, not Mercedes-Benz grade well built cars.

Now I'm wondering how a Renault Zoe would fare against those :ph34r: it's probably better built than the 3's KEKW

That's not to say all Teslas are bad cars, the Model 3 is in fact the most affordable one, which brings its drawbacks, just as you exemplified.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Hi friends. I'm new here but I'm a master tech if anyone needs my help in diagnostics! I specialize in Powerstroke but can fix anything that moves!

Happy to help.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi6)\\Ryzen 3 3100 OC 4.5GHz @1.26V\\Corsair H60\\G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 CL19\\WD Black SN750 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe\\WD 1TB Storage HDD\\EVGA 600B\\Power Color Radeon RX6600 XT 8GB\\ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8" IPS 144Hz@1080p\\Corsair 220T RGB\\Corsair K55 RGB Pro\\Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

43 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Ah, so good to finally see someone talk truthfully about Tesla cars.

All you really need to think about is: Tesla is a "new" company to the car world and they are trying to make their cars (electric cars at that) available to everyone, it's obvious that they're going to make compromises. And they've been shown left, right and center.

Ever since I saw the Model S' interior for the first times I was like "this is so bland, so plain" and that's not necessarily a bad thing but does show the lack of effort in that regard (compromise). They're simple cars, they're goal is to sell electric cars, not Mercedes-Benz grade well built cars.

Now I'm wondering how a Renault Zoe would fare against those :ph34r: it's probably better built than the 3's KEKW

That's not to say all Teslas are bad cars, the Model 3 is in fact the most affordable one, which brings its drawbacks, just as you exemplified.

i actually like the simplicity, i feel the Tesla model 3 is a nice interior, i am okay with that.

and the inteior "quality" feel is actually "decent" there is a lot there also. like aluminium lists that are crooked, and panels that does not fit even in each side.. 

the fun thing is VW is also piss poor in quality, but that is mostly mechanical, have had dsg box issues on my VW passat from new (dry clutch issues, which is just the standard on a VW) card that took in water, creaky noises all around (the same with the GTI) the GTI also has water in the FULL LED Headlights, but "WITHIN" VW´s tolerances..

But this is just.. SO much, and on such an expensive car, and only cheap because of the savings with taxation, because before tax, it is the same price in DK As a Mercedes E class well equipped model, with a decent engine. 

Should have gone A6 or BMW.. just not ready for this.. 

38 minutes ago, Benji said:

That's wrong, that's just the "standard" on the small, low-torque DQ200 gearbox. Everything above that has wet clutches.

i know. i know the whole MICROSLIP issue, especially in damp areas like Denmark, been trough all that, the microslip was BAD on my VW Passat 200-300rpm when just going straight at 80km/h without accelerations, like just ALL the time, until the car got hot enough (30mins of driving) VW´s first solution was to say. "just shift really often manualle for the first 10 min, then it goes away) waited for the new revision of clutch with a more grippy material, got it at 27.000km at it had nearly 0 microslip, but shifts were a lot less smooth, it never was a good gearbox the DSQ200, and that is the fun thing with VW.. they always say.. that it is a great product, but funny that they whent to the wet systems, the same with there chain systems on smaller engines.. (IT IS THE BEST SOLUTION) and then they had like a LOT of smaller 1.0 TSI and 1.2 jumping a toothe and wreaking a chain.. (STILL THE BEST SOLUTION) even though all newer cars were back to being belt driven.

But it is just more of an mechanical issue... Tesla is just poor engineering, i wish you could point towards "poor" assembly staff, but it is just design really poor, with lots of spot welding, just wierd design solutions where "gabs will be visible" and then not "hiding" adjustment points, many cars gets adjustments, on the line. but they either hide the points behind plastic elements, or do not "paint" the bolts. so adjustments are not visible.