Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

9 hours ago, vetali said:

We get paid 100% up front. Basically they are the middle man

Yes, we also would have gotten the 100% up front but they were pushing hard how with the high interest rates they charge we would get a cut of that as residual income and that we could 'tier up' and get better rates but that if they skipped payments we didn't get out cut anymore. It's like they were trying to get us to do their collections for them or something. The other one was less shady but the terms were still super terrible for the customer as they required a bank account and a contract that allowed them to setup ACH payments to automatically debit the amount each month. We did sign up with one but never used it, mostly because the front counter woman at that time was technologically challenged and it was 'online'. Probably a good thing in hindsight!

Saved the office from catching on fire yesterday too, new girl (ok been there a year and an old friend of mine lol) wanted the AC plugged in, but needed to move the wall wart for the security cameras. Moved that to an extension cord off the computer power strip. Plugged the AC in and it didn't go. Bumped the cord and it went but it popped and spit in the socket. Pull it out and look, thing has been roasted, pins are all crooked in the plug from melting in the rubber and shifting, copper blades are all rough and pitted and browned with little shiny spots where it had been arcing. That could have ugly.

On 4/4/2021 at 2:03 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Lol I’ve done this once and was actually mad at myself for being too risky knowing I could of messed it up lol

Me too. I'm usually farther away.

Anyway, here's the old daily driver Mazda muffler. So quiet now.

That's the old plate I used to cover the hole. I had spackled the top side with muffler cement a few years back when it was starting to leak some.

IMG_20210408_134410.jpg

IMG_20210408_134551.jpg

Eh, kinda dig it 

Screenshot_20210408-195850_Gallery.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Just now, iDeFecZx said:

Eh, kinda dig it 

if you did some more parts in blue it works  like skirts maybe 

Just now, Bitter said:

if you did some more parts in blue it works  like skirts maybe 

I was thinking mirror caps, door handles and calipers, then long run have a blue cage and do the dash strips

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

9 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

I was thinking mirror caps, door handles and calipers, then long run have a blue cage and do the dash strips

i think the blue would go better if you added more blue stuff but also change the silver to a light grey with less reflectence

1 hour ago, FakeFBI said:

i think the blue would go better if you added more blue stuff but also change the silver to a light grey with less reflectence

If im gonna change the colour of the whole car im gonna do it something interesting. Main idea in my head is respray in Midnight Purple

Anyone have a car with a clutch delay valve delete? Been reading a lot about them and how they make modern manuals suck, but I'm not sure how much of the herky jerkies are my own noob driving.

ASU

8 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Anyone have a car with a clutch delay valve delete? Been reading a lot about them and how they make modern manuals suck, but I'm not sure how much of the herky jerkies are my own noob driving.

I helped remove one off a 528i (I believe) years ago. I was not a fan of the thing, it makes it almost impossible to find the engagement point. There was an aftermarket kit for that car, basically just a tube if I remember correctly.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I just noticed that Newegg is now selling automotive parts.

hopefully they vet them better than the garbage knockoff tactrix cables they have been selling for a few years now...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

5 minutes ago, Sarra said:

hopefully they vet them better than the garbage knockoff tactrix cables they have been selling for a few years now...

I'm not sure if they're still doing this, but at one time they were selling street-legal scooters, dirt bikes, and maybe even small-displacement motorcycles. All brands you've never heard of, but could be titled and insured.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

51 minutes ago, Sarra said:

That's so weird, I imagine there'll be a lot of garbage though.

Gonna be looking at something with a pretty rare, expensive option

dba0a792625d453a9fea7388eb8b180e.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

6 hours ago, Sarra said:

I just hope its better than amazon's terrible automotive section.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

8 minutes ago, vetali said:

I just hope its better than amazon's terrible automotive section.

I usually find the part #'s for what I want either on OEM part sites or rockauto and then order it from wherever has the best deal lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Gonna be looking at something with a pretty rare, expensive option

Crab steering? :omegathunk:

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

56 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I usually find the part #'s for what I want either on OEM part sites or rockauto and then order it from wherever has the best deal lol

Yeah thats exactly what I do.... because filtering by vehicle results doesn't typically show OEM parts. I get why, but it should be a requirement if you list a part on amazon that you list what it fits. Ebay is really good about that.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

5 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

4 hours ago, vetali said:

Yeah thats exactly what I do.... because filtering by vehicle results doesn't typically show OEM parts. I get why, but it should be a requirement if you list a part on amazon that you list what it fits. Ebay is really good about that.

Ditto, I cross shop all three but I'm wary of knock off parts on both ebay and amazon. Spark plugs and oxygen sensors are a common one, so usually I can find them the same price from a local retailer with ship to store pickup, even if it's a couple dollars more it's worth it to me to be more assured I got legit parts. I don't need a spark plug coming apart at 8000 rpm mid apex on tail of the dragon.

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ditto, I cross shop all three but I'm wary of knock off parts on both ebay and amazon. Spark plugs and oxygen sensors are a common one, so usually I can find them the same price from a local retailer with ship to store pickup, even if it's a couple dollars more it's worth it to me to be more assured I got legit parts. I don't need a spark plug coming apart at 8000 rpm mid apex on tail of the dragon.

Yeah there are some parts I try not to buy off fleabay and scamazon. I bought some plugs for someones dakota off amazon last year when I was laid off and doing side work. They looked fine. The plugs in the truck were auto lites, but were replaced like 20 years ago. So I figured its when auto lite was a decent brand... nah. Plug on cylinder 8 dropped the porcelain and went for a ride. Was covered in oil and nasty looking. Told the guy the motor is probably screwed. He didn't care as long as it didn't miss.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Autolite....the Fram of spark plugs.

haha. The "I want the cheapest thing you have" at the counter

I actually use Fram filters.. the XG ones. Only thing I'll use from them.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Yes, I still want a touraeg. 

Yes, they are still overpriced.

Yes, I'm frustrated with this economy

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

yes their parts are crazy price

Speaking of spark plugs, I really like the Denso Twin Tip Iridiums. They run really nice in my Celica and wear like iron in every car I've pulled them from to change plugs at like 100-120K they still have a gap that's in spec. Fine Iridium center electrode tip and a platinum wire on the ground strap. That eliminates the weakness in most Iridium plugs, the plain ground strap wears out long before the Iridium center electrode. My expensive Iridium IX's in the Celica only lasted about 45K miles before they were done. The Ir centers were near pristine but the ground strap was eroded in half which doubled the gap. Denso sells them in Japan under the 'Super Ignition Plug' or SIP and has been using them there for a long time. They come OE on a lot of newer Toyota, don't think I've seen them in Honda though. They're not even more expensive than other plugs which don't last as long!

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Ok, but only if you get the V10 TDI.