Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

47 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

for your second point about breaking traction, can't you just have awesome Traction control so you get the absolute limit of acceleration at any given speed (up until the motor can't do it anymore)? 

I thought that was like the whole idea. Otherwise the fast teslas would be doing burnouts off the line too

If you can just mash the throttle and let the car sort it out, it takes away skill and involvement and therefore fun. And sometimes it's fun to break traction, especially on corners. It's a great solution for most cars, but not lightweight sports cars which should be playful, rather than chasing the fastest 0-60 time, or fastest lap. It's like the RWD vs 4WD and the manual vs automatic (let's not restart that one, it's just an example) discussions. 

Just because something is measurably better, doesn't mean it's more fun.

6 hours ago, Sport Driver said:

I approve the choice of the car. Father just swapped his Laguna III for descendant of your 407, 508 II. 

Anyway, yesterday it was summer set cleaning day, the are now back in the storage for about 6 months 😞

<snip>

I really do love the look of the new 508s. Nice car.

1 hour ago, Monkey Dust said:

If you can just mash the throttle and let the car sort it out, it takes away skill and involvement and therefore fun. And sometimes it's fun to break traction, especially on corners. It's a great solution for most cars, but not lightweight sports cars which should be playful, rather than chasing the fastest 0-60 time, or fastest lap. It's like the RWD vs 4WD and the manual vs automatic (let's not restart that one, it's just an example) discussions. 

You’re right 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

I have to disagree that less involvement in the process means less fun.

That instant surge of EV torque is delightful from what I've experienced (not much, but I have), and there's something grand to knowing it's easily accessible at all times. You can mash the accelerator in short bursts rather than waiting for a chance to row the gears; you don't need to worry about RPM and ideal torque bands. It's the fun you can have during virtually any commute rather than waiting for a country backroad jaunt, and you don't have to develop expertise to enjoy it.

I suppose part of this is my philosophy behind... a lot of purchases, really. I like cars, watches, and other products where I can appreciate their value every time I use them, rather than having to save them for special moments. It pains me when people spend a small fortune on a car they either drive only seldomly or have to use gently. If you're afraid to use it, why did you buy it?

fun after owning my Saab for a year I finally got to the magical point where I need an oil change lol

Because I don't drive it that much although that's changing.

So I have a synthetic oil change and filter replacement scheduled at a dealership right by my other work on Monday mid morning.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

fun after owning my Saab for a year I finally got to the magical point where I need an oil change lol

Because I don't drive it that much although that's changing.

So I have a synthetic oil change and filter replacement scheduled at a dealership right by my other work on Monday mid morning.

Mr 2000 mile oil changes @Real_PhillBert just died a little inside

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Spoiler

Thought this was a nice hashtag combo

CAP_0331 (1).JPG

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

On 11/7/2020 at 2:20 PM, RTX 3090 said:

Just a question of mine : Why do all car enthusiasts hate electric cars. If it doesn't make enough noise, just get one with a noise generator. They even have faster 0-60 the petrol cars, so why are they hated so much

I would love an EV but for me the biggest hurdle is the price.

Used you can get a fun sporty car for $5,000 to $15,000 no problem with new easily being $25,000 to $35,000.

EVs tend to start at the top end of those price ranges and those are the low end, bear bones daily commuters.

1 hour ago, Snadzies said:

bear bones daily commuters.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd that means it can't be fun to drive... why?

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd that means it can't be fun to drive... why?

Nothing in principle means they can't be fun to drive because they're daily bare-bones commuters...but the simple fact of the matter is that nobody builds an electric equivalent of a Mazda MX-5 or Suzuki Swift Sport. There's no electric car offering in the marketplace which is both comparatively cheap to buy and designed to be fun to drive.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

3 hours ago, Snadzies said:

I would love an EV but for me the biggest hurdle is the price.

Used you can get a fun sporty car for $5,000 to $15,000 no problem with new easily being $25,000 to $35,000.

EVs tend to start at the top end of those price ranges and those are the low end, bear bones daily commuters.

they are still pretty new. $5-15k cars are usually much older than even some of the older electric cars. 

2 hours ago, HM-2 said:

Nothing in principle means they can't be fun to drive because they're daily bare-bones commuters...but the simple fact of the matter is that nobody builds an electric equivalent of a Mazda MX-5 or Suzuki Swift Sport. There's no electric car offering in the marketplace which is both comparatively cheap to buy and designed to be fun to drive.

chevy bolts i hear are actually decent autoX cars. Model 3 performance as well (though that's a lot of money).

still not as good as a true lightweight for that sort of thing. but still fun. as others said good != fun. You can have fun autocrossing a pickup truck 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, HM-2 said:

And this is my point exactly. People care more about 'performance features' instead of just enjoying driving.

There should be a Tesla model 2 coming out at about 25k with hopefully the performance of a Model 3, without the bells and whistles. Not comparable, but it's something.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

And this is my point exactly. People care more about 'performance features' instead of just enjoying driving.

I think you sum it up the best tbh. 

you can have fun in any object that you made move. No matter how fast it moves, if it moves at all, it can be fun. Lol

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

I think you sum it up the best tbh. 

you can have fun in any object that you made move. No matter how fast it moves, if it moves at all, it can be fun. Lol

No it's gotta be QUIRKY and SPUNKY

The coolest looking van ever...

Unsung heroes : Commer/Dodge Spacevan - AROnline

The Dodge SpaceVan is pretty much just a facelift of the original Commer FC from the 1960's. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commer_FC

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 11/10/2020 at 12:32 AM, AlwaysFSX said:

That's the kind of statement you read on car enthusiast forums/thread, not what you actually see in dealership when the ones paying for brand new cars are going shopping ;)
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for performance vehicle. That's why I'm a die hard motorcycle fan 😅 but when I look at all my friends, what they care about is the look, the comfort, all the new gadgets and of course how the model/brand is perceived in general (ie: buy a german car to look cool). The engine and chassis come dead last in the priority list unfortunately.

I'm in a pretty wealthy country where it is not uncommon to have young workers (25 to 35) buying new cars and you would be surprised to see how many mid sized diesel sedan we've got on the street driven by this population. At the same age in the 80s my father was dreaming about a 205GTI, Golf GTI and alike. Now my friends are dreaming of a 1.6L 110HP diesel A Class with leather seats and apple connectivity ;(

I bought a new car last year and when I picked it up the guy spent 30min talking me through the phone connectivity ... Not a word on the engine.

1 hour ago, McBUrn said:

That's the kind of statement you read on car enthusiast forums/thread, not what you actually see in dealership when the ones paying for brand new cars are going shopping ;)
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for performance vehicle. That's why I'm a die hard motorcycle fan 😅 but when I look at all my friends, what they care about is the look, the comfort, all the new gadgets and of course how the model/brand is perceived in general (ie: buy a german car to look cool). The engine and chassis come dead last in the priority list unfortunately.

I'm in a pretty wealthy country where it is not uncommon to have young workers (25 to 35) buying new cars and you would be surprised to see how many mid sized diesel sedan we've got on the street driven by this population. At the same age in the 80s my father was dreaming about a 205GTI, Golf GTI and alike. Now my friends are dreaming of a 1.6L 110HP diesel A Class with leather seats and apple connectivity ;(

I bought a new car last year and when I picked it up the guy spent 30min talking me through the phone connectivity ... Not a word on the engine.

People care about cars now more in the sense that they are like houses but with pre installed furniture and electronics now

Spoiler

On 11/7/2020 at 9:20 PM, RTX 3090 said:

Just a question of mine : Why do all car enthusiasts hate electric cars. If it doesn't make enough noise, just get one with a noise generator. They even have faster 0-60 the petrol cars, so why are they hated so much

@RTX 3090 Because they're more or less forced upon us. I like em, but nothing beats a RWD lightweight manual for me

Wi RoZ

12 hours ago, McBUrn said:

Well the basis of this discussion was "Why don't car people like EVs?"

And the answer to that is because they're full of themselves when it comes to enjoying driving, imo. They don't enjoy driving, they enjoy circle jerking over 'performance.'