Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

31 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Why did they stick the Montego front end on it?

Not sure myself.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Anyone following Rob Dahm? That's a crazy car.

I have been watching not every video but every now and then.

really impressive car. It’s just so much work it feels like it’ll never end lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 10/27/2020 at 10:34 AM, TheGreatCalCom said:

Tough Question. Is The new Hummer EV a truck or a car? I

am arguing for Car because it beats most liquid fuel powered cars in it's price range on the 1/4 mile strip, That includes Hydrogen fuel cell EVs. Not Tesla 

I'd say it's an efficient truck rather than a car with a bed. 

I'm usually as lost as you are

3 hours ago, SilveradoGuy052 said:

I'd say it's an efficient truck rather than a car with a bed. 

It's whatever GM wants to classify it as. Remember the PT Cruiser? Light truck according to the EPA and federal crash standards.

The PT Cruiser is a front-wheel drive 5-passenger vehicle, classified as a truck in the US by the NHTSA for CAFE fuel economy calculations but as a car by most other metrics.

41 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Remember the PT Cruiser? Light truck according to the EPA and federal crash standards.

Oh I didn't know that. You learn something new every day it seems :) 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 hours ago, 3 Lions said:

Oh I didn't know that. You learn something new every day it seems :) 

Rumor has it they wanted to put a diesel in there but while it would physically fit, due to the shape of the engine bay it would have to be removed from the vehicle for pretty much any basic services beyond oil changes and they quickly realized that this would be a nightmare for dealers and owners and create a vehicle that would rack up insane charges under warranty and then leave owners horribly upset after warranty, so thankfully they nixed it. Ford however, never caught on to that idea (Navistar Diesel and the DPS6 trans prove this point).

that feeling when the body shop rushes you to get your car in and says they want to get it in and out and not have it sit.... then proceed to sit on it a week without touching it.

.... its infuriating.... cause i had plans that day and they said if i didnt get it that day and around that time then they couldnt do it for a few weeks.... so i scrambled to get a towtruck which is A DAYUM 2 HOUR MIN WAIT CAUSE FOR SOME REASON MYRTLE BEACH SUCKS...MEANWHILE MY MECHANIC HAS LIKE 12K WORTH OF PARTS JUST TAKING UP HIS SPACE WAITING ON THIS CAR TO SHOW UP..... ok im venting 

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

On 10/25/2020 at 1:10 PM, chaozbandit said:

@JoaoPRSousa Sky Sports says portugal is most known for its golf courses

Not exactly, no... Maybe to the rich british cucks who can't afford nice weather up there lmao

Ngl, I was expecting the F1s to be quieter than they actually are. Still, the Revolution cars that were also racing with a Ford V6 still sounded better.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Never thought Id call a yaris cool, yet here we are

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Tomorrow will be the coldest day I've driven the Celica with the Dunlop Z3 tires, a frigid high of 57F, however I'm driving her to the train station (like 2 miles) in the morning when it'll be about 30F. Technically I don't think I'm supposed to drive on them below 32F but I had my old Z2's out a few times in very low temps and other than being able to spin them easily until they warmed up nothing bad happened.

I wish for a hydraulic car lift for christmas.... That would be sweet.

Getting there... been a problematic journey to get the car approved. Just one final brake hose left to change now and the car should be good for approval.

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

Tomorrow will be the coldest day I've driven the Celica with the Dunlop Z3 tires, a frigid high of 57F, however I'm driving her to the train station (like 2 miles) in the morning when it'll be about 30F. Technically I don't think I'm supposed to drive on them below 32F but I had my old Z2's out a few times in very low temps and other than being able to spin them easily until they warmed up nothing bad happened.

as long as it's dry you're prob fine

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

as long as it's dry you're prob fine

Eh, gf isn't feeling well (has a cold, not the covid) so plans cancelled for today. I might go for a spin later maybe.

Last night I fixed my r/f side marker LED bulb that had been on the fritz for a few years, the solder joints from the bulb legs to the bulb had broken. I managed to solder them back onto the tiny circuit board, pop the bulb back together, and then have it fall out of the socket into the housing as I tried to reinstall it. Took like 20 minutes to fish it back out, but it's bright as ever now and should keep working for a long time. First caught it wasn't working from a Killboy photo from the dragon a couple years ago which I didn't notice it not working in until this year while I was lamenting no dragon trip this year. Ran the bulb for a couple hours and no failure so I bought some replacements which aren't quite as bright or good, fixed this one, put the replacements I bought in her 16 Escape side markers so they're bright AF and I'll swap the other spare pair into her lower parking lights.

My project truck has been in the chassis shop all summer... All I wanted done was to have the suspension seats installed, firewall sealed, headers coated and air intake fabricated. Its almost as if he wants me to get mad at him and come get the truck. Where I just want him to do what he says he can do (you going to talk the walk you better be able to walk the talk) This project has been the bane of my existence since 2013. I want it done so I can be free of it!

How is this still happening in this day and age, honestly.

Please be safe and courteous out there, or there's a darwin award free of charge.

Potentially NSFL

Spoiler

https://twitter.com/680NEWStraffic/status/1321950316129124353

image.thumb.png.dc6b23275a7e19453e10dc88d58117c2.png

Explanation:

Spoiler

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/jl6jqp/yesterday_i_witnessed_a_fatal_collision_on_the/

It happened at Markham Rd in the Westbound express lanes. I was in the collectors and saw it happen just ahead of me. There was a white SUV travelling at a high rate of speed in the express. I watched it pass a sedan on the right shoulder, then continue ahead and attempt to pass a dump truck, again on the right shoulder. Before the driver could overtake the truck, it seemed to clip something and lose control causing it to to careen out of control into the center divider and flip a few times. It was a very brutal collision, and the driver of that SUV sadly passed away according to the OPP.

"Ontario provincial police say the man, who was not wearing a seatbelt, crashed his car into a commercial truck. The vehicle he was in then rolled over."

Update: a 52 y.o. man from Ajax has died, after striking a commercial vehicle then rolling his vehicle. The man was then ejected from the car due to no seatbelt use. #Hwy401 reopened at 11:45 p.m. ^dh

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

3 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Please be safe and courteous out there, or there's a darwin award free of charge.

Potentially NSFL

GG Guy. He earned his award.

Anyone here would know how to revert the ACC in my dads ‘14 A6 to normal cruise control? Bit of an odd thing to do so no wonder I can’t find much about it? 

i would think it could be done in VCDS if you tell all the modules that normal CC is installed rather than automatic. 

The camera behind his rear view mirror isn’t working, on top of that he’d prob have to get it recalibrated after and it’s expensive on that car. So what he’d rather do is just go back to normal CC and then fix that whenever he goes to get rid of the car (if it’s worth doing then). Kinda annoying the car doesn’t revert back to normal CC if the ACC isn’t working anyway? 

I tried a few things today but I didn’t get it to work. Changed the “coding” (i had never done this before but apparently it’s just hex numbers that signify different items installed on the diff modules? Kinda neat) in the steering wheel, engine, and the can gateway modules. Still was getting prompted on the dash that ACC was unavailable so I reverted everything.

i wasn’t sure how to get to the module in the software that the camera was connected to. I suspect until I do that and make the car think that camera doesn’t exist, it’ll still say that. 

@vetalitalk me out of this xD 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Anyone here would know how to revert the ACC in my dads ‘14 A6 to normal cruise control? Bit of an odd thing to do so no wonder I can’t find much about it? 

i would think it could be done in VCDS if you tell all the modules that normal CC is installed rather than automatic. 

The camera behind his rear view mirror isn’t working, on top of that he’d prob have to get it recalibrated after and it’s expensive on that car. So what he’d rather do is just go back to normal CC and then fix that whenever he goes to get rid of the car (if it’s worth doing then). Kinda annoying the car doesn’t revert back to normal CC if the ACC isn’t working anyway? 

I tried a few things today but I didn’t get it to work. Changed the “coding” (i had never done this before but apparently it’s just hex numbers that signify different items installed on the diff modules? Kinda neat) in the steering wheel, engine, and the can gateway modules. Still was getting prompted on the dash that ACC was unavailable so I reverted everything.

i wasn’t sure how to get to the module in the software that the camera was connected to. I suspect until I do that and make the car think that camera doesn’t exist, it’ll still say that. 

@vetalitalk me out of this xD 

If its not working it likely has a fault and disabled cruise control completely Honda does this and its pretty annoying... had a loaner that I took to training and as soon as I began the 3 hour trip home the dash lit up like a christmas tree and disabled cruise control. So basically if theres a fault, CC wont work.

Otherwise there should be an option in the cars settings itself to disable ACC. Thats in a normally functioning system though.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

10 minutes ago, vetali said:

If its not working it likely has a fault and disabled cruise control completely Honda does this and its pretty annoying... had a loaner that I took to training and as soon as I began the 3 hour trip home the dash lit up like a christmas tree and disabled cruise control. So basically if theres a fault, CC wont work.

Otherwise there should be an option in the cars settings itself to disable ACC. Thats in a normally functioning system though.

yeah they do that, and also yes it does have a fault. it's for the camera not working behind the mirror. Which normally isn't even included in the car without ACC. 

Which is where i got the idea to just code it out of the car and make the car think it just has normal CC and nothing else, then we can put it back later if he wants to fix, or when he gets rid of the car, or whatever. He didn't buy the car FOR that, just a nice to have really.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah they do that, and also yes it does have a fault. it's for the camera not working behind the mirror. Which normally isn't even included in the car without ACC. 

Which is where i got the idea to just code it out of the car and make the car think it just has normal CC and nothing else, then we can put it back later if he wants to fix, or when he gets rid of the car, or whatever. He didn't buy the car FOR that, just a nice to have really.

I really don't think you could. The system normally works in tandem with other modules and systems. To code it out, you would have to do it to each of those modules as well. I just think if you tried, you would kill CC all together.

Have you tried clearing the code to see if it returns instantly? Also looked up part costs for that unit. Thats insane. On a Honda you could buy both the multipurpose camera and radar for less than the price of one of the distance sensors on that audi, and theres 2. I had to replace a rain/light sensor on my car. That was pretty spendy. Nearly 500 dollars.

6 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Potentially NSFL

You'd be surprised how many people I see rolling in the shop with dummy buckles in new cars.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

8 minutes ago, vetali said:

I really don't think you could. The system normally works in tandem with other modules and systems. To code it out, you would have to do it to each of those modules as well. I just think if you tried, you would kill CC all together.

Have you tried clearing the code to see if it returns instantly? Also looked up part costs for that unit. Thats insane. On a Honda you could buy both the multipurpose camera and radar for less than the price of one of the distance sensors on that audi, and theres 2. I had to replace a rain/light sensor on my car. That was pretty spendy. Nearly 500 dollars.

You'd be surprised how many people I see rolling in the shop with dummy buckles in new cars.

Only people I see with them are lawn enforcement in their personal vehicles, the ONE set of people who should absolutely know better.

As always, aftermarket carbon bits never fit quite as easily as you'd hope. So, bumper off to try to get it fitted, came off surprisingly easy. 

IMG_20201101_111246.thumb.jpg.2d542ee6bfdb9ae1a258903a23f73f22.jpg

IMG_20201101_111156.thumb.jpg.eae38c16cba23901946a0807982da017.jpgIMG_20201101_111145.thumb.jpg.a1ffb3a38c17a71c749babb2f228568d.jpg