Apple HomePod smart speaker - stains your furniture permanently

GoodBytes
Message added by Energycore

This is the last warning. Keep the thread civil and without accusations, insults or trolling; lest it be locked.

Apple HomePod is a smart speaker system that act like the ones from Google, Amazon and Microsoft, with the attempt to provide digital assistance to homes.

Beside the fact that the unit only works best with Apple streaming music service or your purchased music, and only works with iPhones (has no Bluetooth), and doesn't support multi-users nor multi-room audio or stereo pairing.

It has been reported that if you put the Apple HomePod on a wood table, a chemical reaction takes place with the rubber layer at the bottom of the device, staining a white circle on it, ruining your expensive furniture.

DWAqZeKUMAAGu7y.jpg

The Verge says:

Apple’s HomePod is a great sounding but ideologically flawed speaker, but it turns out there’s another major problem with the smart speaker aside from its lack of support for Spotify: apparently the silicone base of the HomePod can damage wooden furniture, with multiple outlets (including The Wirecutter and Pocket Lint) reporting that leaving the speaker on top of wooden surfaces can cause a white ring to form.

Apple have confirmed the issues, and says:

The marks can improve over several days after the speaker is removed from the wood surface. Try cleaning the surface with the manufacturer’s suggested oiling method.

However, the company shares no additional information on repair, replacement, or reimbursements of any kind, beside to not put the speaker on soft material.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/14/17012382/apple-homepod-white-ring-wooden-table-staining-issue-problem

Were you planning on getting this speaker? If so, are you still going to get it?

[Update]

This news made people to check their other speakers on their wood table.

It would seem that a or some Sonos models have been doing the same, at a much lesser extent

A closer inspection revealed that the Sonos One speaker, which also has small silicone feet, had made these marks on my cabinet. Looking around the top of the cabinet, I noticed a bunch of little white marks, all left from the Sonos Ones as I moved them around. So, they will damage your wood furniture, too. We're awaiting comment from Sonos.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS81

Source: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sonos-one-damages-wood,news-26628.html

Do you have face similar problem with your smartspeaker (if you have any)?

not Apple fault if people still buy tables with such an obsolete material as wood in 2018. Ever heard of aluminium and glass?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Looks like heat stains. Do they really get that hot? 

The Rubber chemicals is my guess I Doubt they Get hot enough to do this.

I Feel like this sucks for anyone who bought one but also anyone spending $350 for a speaker from apple im sure this damage isnt breaking there bank. They obviously have a lot of expendable cash or are just bad with $

1 minute ago, mawv said:

/s? Please be/s...

It isn't. Or is it?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

not Apple fault if people still buy tables with such an obsolete material as wood in 2018. Ever heard of aluminium and glass?

Wood looks nice in apartments also have you ever heard of BUILT IN SHELVES that are built into the structure itself, quit trying to justify apples fuck ups by saying NO ITS YOUR fault.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

as been reported that if you put the Apple HomePod on a wood table, a chemical reaction takes place with the rubber layer at the bottom of the device, staining a white circle on it, ruining your expensive furniture.

Apple have confirmed the issues, and says:

However, the company shares no additional information on repair, replacement, or reimbursements of any kind, beside to not put the speaker on soft material.

Screw you apple, why is making a rubber compound so hard? You literally invented an entire generation of smart devices.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Wood looks nice in apartments also have you ever heard of BUILT IN SHELVES that are built into the structure itself, quit trying to justify apples fuck ups by saying NO ITS YOUR fault.

soooo last year. ever heard of glass?

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Or they could just buy a white table, which seems to be rather common nowadays :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

soooo last year. ever heard of glass?

i

your taste in furniture shouldn't determine wether or not you can own a fucking speaker.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Never understood how some reviewers thought the HomePod was "surprisingly good". A mono only speaker that only works with Apple Music and iPhones with no other external connectivity. This "revolutionary" device can be all yours for the "low" price of 350 USD. btw it'll stain your furniture

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Or they could just buy a white table, which seems to be rather common nowadays :P 

it better be made out of glass, or aluminium. none of that last century painted wood stuff. This is a clear sign of Apple trying to push the industry forward like they did with when the ditched discs. 

8 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Not surprising that apple messes up again by cheaping out on their devices but can't admit it's their fault with at least reimbursing people for ruined tables/shelves.

Apple needs to sell a $99 iCoaster for homepod use on a wooden surface.

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

your taste in furniture shouldn't determine wether or not you can own a fucking speaker.

if you don't have the right environment you shouldn't own that speaker, it would be wasted 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

i really like my hardwood tho, not that id ever consider one of these devices anyway though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Not surprising that apple messes up again by cheaping out on their devices but can't admit it's their fault with at least reimbursing people for ruined tables/shelves.

It was literally released a few days ago and the issue was just recently reported. Maybe give them more than a day to address the situation before starting with the attacks.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

2 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Damn Son you dont get sarcasm do you. 

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

LMAO This is great. 

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

It was literally released yesterday. Maybe give them more than a day to address the situation before starting with the attacks.

I'm not even attacking anything, it's like Apple didn't even test it on more than just a white or glass surface before release.

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

if you don't have the right environment you shouldn't own that speaker, it would be wasted 

An environment ? the only thing you really need for this to be viable option for you is to be a heavy user of the apple ecosystem, and whether I own wood tables or ceramic shouldn't matter 

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'm not even attacking anything, it's like Apple didn't even test it on more than just a white or glass surface before release.

Does it happen on all wood tables? Just some? Which specific types of wood? What if it's laminated? What about an unpolished table? What about a stained table? Treated table? 

You don't even know what specifically is the issue and yet somehow the only conclusion is that Apple only tested on a white glass surface. There is an extremely large number of combinations of possibilities to test. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Damn Son you dont get sarcasm do you. 

LMAO This is great. 

Have my doubts that was actual sarcasm, and I have a pretty monotone voice so people think I'm always sarcastic when I'm actually serious. 

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Does it happen on all wood tables? Just some? Which specific types of wood? What if it's laminated? What about an unpolished table? What about a stained table? Treated table? 

You don't even know what specifically is the issue and yet somehow the only conclusion is that Apple only tested on a white glass surface. There is an extremely large number of combinations of possibilities to test. 

Well still,I'm just saying this shouldn't be happening with a $350 freaking speaker. Though seems like untreated wood since its easily stained,yet shouldn't be by silicone or decent rubber.