Apple HomePod smart speaker - stains your furniture permanently

GoodBytes
Message added by Energycore

This is the last warning. Keep the thread civil and without accusations, insults or trolling; lest it be locked.

32 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

not Apple fault if people still buy tables with such an obsolete material as wood in 2018. Ever heard of aluminium and glass?

wood is nice !

I just hope they compensate (as in, compensate for the damage, not some meaningless ammount of money)
to the people it affects.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I think it is expected to do this. It is, for Apple, to have a way to sale an accessory for it. You'll need to buy the 19.99$ Apple Pad for it to protect your table.

Yeah I really doubt that....especially since anyone could just put a piece of paper underneath it. It's surely just an oversight. 

10 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Looking at their sig,I doubt they're somehow not joking. rofl :D

Well still,I'm just saying this shouldn't be happening with a $350 freaking speaker. Though seems like untreated wood since its easily stained,yet shouldn't be by silicone or decent rubber.

It shouldn't be happening, but it's also something that's stupidly easy to overlook, so I wouldn't blame Apple if it wasn't realized in testing. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

17 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yeah I really doubt that....especially since anyone could just put a piece of paper underneath it. It's surely just an oversight.

Was just doing a silly joke :)

27 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

wood is passé !

fixed it for you

Yes,to be part of the glorious apple ecosystem you must replace everything wood in your home with glass,aluminum and white marble.

Never mind those uncultured peasants still using wooden surfaces,it's 2018, filthy plebs.  /s

28 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It shouldn't be happening, but it's also something that's stupidly easy to overlook. 

Overlooked because they didn't bother to fully test it.  No other speaker is having this problem? It's inexcusable for a $350 mono speaker,but Apple can never do no wrong,just put a sheet of paper under the speaker.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Overlooked because they didn't bother to fully test it.  No other speaker is having this problem? It's inexcusable for a $350 mono speaker,but Apple can never do no wrong.

I'd be willing to bet no competing device was heavily tested on various surfaces. The fact is that it's a very odd issue that likely wasn't expected by anyone and is only a problem here because they decided to do something out of the norm. It's an issue, but not one that would likely have been caught by any company that chose to use the same materials/fabrication method/whatever is causing it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

38 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It was literally released a few days ago and the issue was just recently reported. Maybe give them more than a day to address the situation before starting with the attacks.

For a product that was supposedly worked on since 2011 (according to the fella below) I still don't get how this should be a thing. I mean, I seriously doubt that they hadn't placed this thing on a wooden table during all these years of development and testing. You don't expect little odd issues like this from a company that charges you a pretty penny for their products. Especially when software and usability wise, it's beyond underwhelming so the only saving grace for this thing would've been its design and build quality. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

For a product that was supposedly worked on since 2011 (according to the fella below) I still don't get how this should be a thing. I mean, I seriously doubt that they hadn't placed this thing on a wooden table during all these years of development and testing. You don't expect little odd issues like this from a company that charges you a pretty penny for their products. Especially when software and usability wise, it's beyond underwhelming so the only saving grace for this thing would've been its design and build quality.

I'm sure it was used on a wood table at some point, but what kind of wood causes a problem, raw/treated, polished/unpolished, stained/unstained, etc....? At this point we know virtually nothing. So it's easily possible to have not tested the correct combination. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Isn't it only the cheapest and shittiest of rubber that reacts chemically with wood like that?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm sure it was used on a wood table at some point, but what kind of wood causes a problem, raw/treated, polished/unpolished, stained/unstained, etc....? At this point we know virtually nothing. So it's easily possible to have not tested the correct combination. 

Fair enough. But still, can't imagine having to think about this when purchasing a speaker. :P 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

I am a bit worried about the generic advice to clean it with manufactures recommended oil.   If they aren't absolutely sure they know what is causing the stain there is a good chance rubbing oil over it will simply protect the stain and make it impossible to remove without a full sand down.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I am a bit worried about the generic advice to clean it with manufactures recommended oil.   If they aren't absolutely sure they know what is causing the stain there is a good chance rubbing oil over it will simply protect the stain and make it impossible to remove without a full sand down.

I still think this is a heat stain. Take an iron, a towel and set the iron to steam and place it on the towel over the spot. Cleans it right up with no damage or oil.

RingGate

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I still think this is a heat stain. Take an iron, a towel and set the iron to steam and place it on the towel over the spot. Cleans it right up with no damage or oil.

It'd want to get quite hot for it to be a heat stain only.  My bet is on the feet material becoming soft and working into the grain.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i really like my hardwood tho, not that id ever consider one of these devices anyway though

I like me hardwood as well, in fact so does my mother meaning over 75% of our furniture is hardwood :P

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Looks like heat stains. Do they really get that hot? 

Wouldn't it just look like burnt wood though if it was a heat stain?

14 minutes ago, impledob said:

No heat stains just are white spots due to heat or moisture buildup that changes the finish. Like the times you leave a pizza box on the table and it turns white underneath. 

This would have been a great feature if the stain was an apple logo.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

3 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Never understood how some reviews thought the HomePod was "surprisingly good". A mono only speaker that only works with Apple Music and iPhones with no other external connectivity. This "revolutionary" device can be all yours for the "low" price of 350 USD. btw it'll stain your furniture

It sounds to me like someone didn't buy the Apple book, ending up with no choice but to place the speaker directly on the table. Of course, Apple was incapable of predicting that level of misalignment in purchase preferences, and reasonably assumed everyone would have an Apple book resting on the surface where the speakers would be placed.

Wanna bet none of this know-it-all journalists tested the rubber feet for chemical reactions on the Apple book's cover?

Only Apple would be able to design something as simple as a speaker to overheat ... :/ 

It's actually a feature so you know where you left it last for the best optimum sound when first installed.

So it only happens to oil treated wood, and Danish oil at that. That's not very common at all; and I haven't seen reports of it happening to normal wood surfaces.

Rather odd little issue; but oil and rubber/silicone do not play nice together.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I think it is expected to do this. It is, for Apple, to have a way to sale an accessory for it. You'll need to buy the 19.99$ Apple Pad for it to protect your table.

j/k

Damn too bad they already used the term iPad..... Unless....

5 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Never understood how some reviewers thought the HomePod was "surprisingly good". A mono only speaker that only works with Apple Music and iPhones with no other external connectivity. This "revolutionary" device can be all yours for the "low" price of 350 USD. btw it'll stain your furniture

ive actually heard pretty decent things about it, even that it competes with some speakers 3 times its price. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/reddit-audiophiles-test-homepod-say-it-sounds-better-than-1000-speaker/

i actually considered getting one until i found thats it bound to the apple ecosystem, which means im never going to touch it.

4 hours ago, impledob said:

nope, ive got a handful of these stains on my dining room table from setting bowls and plates on it that were too hot. 

that being said, they probably use silicone polyacrylate on the base since it works to dampen vibrations, and it isnt uncommon for that to leave marks on wood.

some lemon pledge should clean it right up

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

To be fair to Apple, when you are making a smart speaker the last thing on your mind is probably whether is stains the table or not

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

ive actually heard pretty decent things about it, even that it competes with some speakers 3 times its price. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/reddit-audiophiles-test-homepod-say-it-sounds-better-than-1000-speaker/

i actually considered getting one until i found thats it bound to the apple ecosystem, which means im never going to touch it.

nope, ive got a handful of these stains on my dining room table from setting bowls and plates on it that were too hot. 

that being said, they probably use silicone polyacrylate on the base since it works to dampen vibrations, and it isnt uncommon for that to leave marks on wood.

some lemon pledge should clean it right up

Sound quality wise it's alright though some complained it being terrible in mid-frequencies. Certain genres of music just outright sound terrible. I believe Rolling Stones was an example used that didn't sound good on this thing. 

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Sound quality wise it's alright though some complained it being terrible in mid-frequencies. Certain genres of music just outright sound terrible. I believe Rolling Stones was an example used that didn't sound good on this thing. 

that makes sense. i admit i havent had a chance to do extensive research on it yet, or actually look at the reddit thread linked in the arstechnica article.  i gave up on it completely when i saw its not useful to me.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.