pubg creator copycat concerns

porina

"Look at movies, Armageddon came out then 20 other comet disaster films came soon after," Brendan Greene explains.

He claims elements of his game, Player Unknown's Battlegrounds (PubG), have been ripped off by other titles and he wants better protection from copycats.

Newly released on the Xbox One, PubG almost singlehandedly created a new genre, the Battle Royale game.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42320076/pubg-creator-says-games-need-better-protection-from-copycat-titles

Now here's a tricky one, and not limited to gaming. How similar does something need to be to something else for it to be a copy? Battle Royale as a concept (outside gaming) has existed for a very long time. It was first made famous to me by the Japanese film from 2000 of that name, but it goes back much further than that. So I'd argue the general idea in itself isn't new even if pubg is the first to bring it to the mainstream in gaming. 

Speaking to the Radio 1 Gaming Show, Brendan says: "I want this genre of games to grow.

"For that to happen you need new and interesting spins on the game mode.

"If it's just copycats down the line, then the genre doesn't grow and people get bored."

I wonder if we can look at fps games as a whole for comparison. It is a long time ago now, but I look back at (90's versions of) Wolfenstein, Doom, later Quake and various spinoffs using the same engine... I don't really recall the mechanics changing that much early on. Go somewhere, kill everything, repeat. Occasionally open a door or push a button. Looking at games today, there are more mechanics variation, and storyline has become a much bigger part, along with multiplayer focused games. As someone not into the genre, they still look pretty similar to me...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Can only get so diverse with the basic concept being a number of people, 50, 100, 200 whatever, get put into an area, they get stuff and last one standing wins. Fortnite does a good job being different from PUBG for example.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Oh man, if we start to claim basic game concepts under copyright, a LOT of good games will go under because they weren't the first lol. OW, Paladins, R6S would all get rekt by Valve for example xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Understand the guy, he's starting to realize he is so screwed compared to "copycats" because said copycats can basically make the exact same game, but make it run properly on console and on most pc', and therefore he could lose it all because they haven't fixed the mess that is performance in his game. To protect himself from being punished from that, he wants to keep a tight exclusivity.

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Understand the guy, he's starting to realize he is so screwed compared to "copycats" because said copycats can basically make the exact same game, but make it run properly on console and on most pc', and therefore he could lose it all because they haven't fixed the mess that is performance in his game. To protect himself from being punished from that, he wants to keep a tight exclusivity.

So, uh, test servers aren't running at 60FPS at 1080p on my R7 360? People aren't getting 120-140FPS on 7700ks and 1080s on test servers? The game isn't releasing in 6 days likely with further optimizations and fixes?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

One would sort of think they'd have to get the rights to make a game that's more or less based on a book before claiming any kind of ownership of the IP.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

didnt H1Z1 have a battle royal feature similar to pubG only it came out eay earlier?

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Ahhh brings me back to the days when people got amused by running around in COD with just a knife, collecting tags. Funny for 5 mins and then boring thereafter xD

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

21 minutes ago, Eroda said:

didnt H1Z1 have a battle royal feature similar to pubG only it came out eay earlier?

It is made by the same guy.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

When PUBG was released, there were only 3 real options for battle royale style games (Arma Battle Royale, H1Z1: KoTK, and PUBG) and all 3 were created by PlayerUnknown (Brandon). Now that he doesn't have a monopoly on the genre, is he getting worried?

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

So, uh, test servers aren't running at 60FPS at 1080p on my R7 360? People aren't getting 120-140FPS on 7700ks and 1080s on test servers? The game isn't releasing in 6 days likely with further optimizations and fixes?

Are you actually arguing pubg being poorly optimized?

Im sick of these copy right laws. Im sorry but if someone makes a game with better mechanics, graphics, optimization....etc....then too fucking bad. Survival of the fittest, how about PUBG steps up and optimizes their shit game. 

2 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

People getting those framerate have to go to low at 1080p to get those. For cpu-cards combos that can push those 120 framerate at medium/high at 1440p on GTA V, it's not impressive no.

3 hours ago, asus killer said:

at it's core PUBG is a shooter copy cat on other shooter, an open world copy cat on other open worlds. The battle royal idea can hardly be his brainchild. This is just plain stupid to me.

Yeah i mean that is true But the Blantant EXACT ripoffs especially on mobile is crazy. They legit Copy it to a T at so many points its a bit weird.

So many have identical wepons  Exact same looks to them same exact scopes, drinking redbull to heal bandages health kits. they even follow all the exact same healing of these items and damage. to the same exact "Blue Wall"  white wall where next is and Dashed line to it.  Along with the same HUD same mini map type ect ect.

The exactness just gose on and on with some of them its insane. I the idea and Genre of battle royal is Open for anyone and other games will bring improvements to the idea hopefully.  but honestly these people are not copying the Idea there just copying the game.  Half of them even use battlegrounds in the titile. Maybe its not illegal but if a movie had the exact same lines and plot or a book had been copied 50% of the words and the other 50% just changed up a little bit  it would still be

35 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Im sick of these copy right laws. Im sorry but if someone makes a game with better mechanics, graphics, optimization....etc....then too fucking bad. Survival of the fittest, how about PUBG steps up and optimizes their shit game. 

50 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

Are you actually arguing pubg being poorly optimized?

2 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Yeah The Launch on the 20th  is actually pretty optimized and can be finally run at 144fps and 60fps on high with pretty weak PCs. Pubg has come a long way in optimization. This last update to the test server which will be the full game not early acess in 6 days  actually improved my FPS by 30 / about 50%  more then i was getting went from 60s to 90s 

14 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

People getting those framerate have to go to low at 1080p to get those. For cpu-cards combos that can push those 120 framerate at medium/high at 1440p on GTA V, it's not impressive no.

if you haven't tried the new test server this is no longer true and will be offically launched on the 20th with these improvements to anyone playing live servers. 

id recommend re checking it out if thats what stopped you from playing it, if you never have played it then you really havent personally seen how far the game has come for this launch and that this statement is pretty untrue or at least to the degree people think that dont play it. 

This is really stupid in my opinion. Aside from the fact that the game isn't even technically out yet (what, did you think we'd forget that PUBG?), which will make IT the copycat if we want to be as pedantic as they are being, if developers cried every time they popularize a genre then nobody other than id software would be allowed to make a first person shooter to begin with. Instead of whining, give people a good reason to play your game over the others, otherwise your product clearly has no value.

32 minutes ago, Tedny said:

wait, BBC is trusted source? 

Is the report wrong?

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

When PUBG was released, there were only 3 real options for battle royale style games (Arma Battle Royale, H1Z1: KoTK, and PUBG) and all 3 were created by PlayerUnknown (Brandon). Now that he doesn't have a monopoly on the genre, is he getting worried?

"""released"""

And yes he is, because they clearly aren't capable of delivering a product of higher quality than a janky mod in due time. So they resort to whining about "copycats".

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Eroda said:

Same Guy Created the H1Z1 and Arma Battle royal games as Pubg cant really complain about copying yourself lol Though one could Argue sony Owns the H1Z1 and not the person who made it? idk nothing legally will actually happen imo but a lot of the copies are pretty scummy,

At least something like fortnight has a lot of differences compared to the real rip offs. i find fornight to play completely different and the building aspect changes it greatly also.

Tell you what Pubg creators: When you actually optimize your fucking game and leave early access, I will try very, very hard to give a fuck about it, but not before that ever happens you fucking scammers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

This is really stupid in my opinion. Aside from the fact that the game isn't even technically out yet (what, did you think we'd forget that PUBG?), which will make IT the copycat if we want to be as pedantic as they are being, if developers cried every time they popularize a genre then nobody other than id software would be allowed to make a first person shooter to begin with. Instead of whining, give people a good reason to play your game over the others, otherwise your product clearly has no value.

Is the report wrong?

"""released"""

And yes he is, because they clearly aren't capable of delivering a product of higher quality than a janky mod in due time. So they resort to whining about "copycats".

If you designed a product and were starting to manuf it  but say Money was holding it back or something so another competitor copied it and beat you to the market that does not make you the copy cat.... 

Clearly no Value? Game sold 24 million copies on PC only...... 

He also in there stated he wants and is good with Battle royal games from other developers but wants them to not Directly copy come out with your own versions/ spins on the genre.

Due time? Game launches in 6 days and was in EA for what 7-8 months? thats really short for an EA game i mean hell i would wager most dont ever leave EA

40 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Tell you what Pubg creators: When you actually optimize your fucking game and leave early access, I will try very, very hard to give a fuck about it, but not before that ever happens you fucking scammers.

Alright this is my last post ( Besides if you respond LOL) cause i really dont want to look like a shrill & ect but its just facts and jesus everyone seems so butt hurt but has the wrong info. a Game in early access for 7-8 months and there Fucking scammers?  what did the game do to you to piss you off this much? lol 

The Game leaves Early Access on December 20th in 6 days from now and will Run pretty well and a huge amount better then in the past ( Test Servers are up for the Full game now to try it and its a huge Improvement) 

You cannot own a genre and acting like they do is a dick move tbh, especially because H1Z1 did it first  

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

All the fame is going to his head and he's worried he's not the top dog anymore, his interview was a disaster as he knows nothing about law nor IP protection, as called out by TotalBiscuit

17 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

If you designed a product and were starting to manuf it  but say Money was holding it back or something so another competitor copied it and beat you to the market that does not make you the copy cat....

If they copied the code or artwork you'd be right, but a "game mode" doesn't count as a product they designed.

18 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Clearly no Value? Game sold 24 million copies on PC only......

It was a retorical statement, the point being that the game should be able to sell based on its merits and not just because of a single game mode idea.

20 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

He also in there stated he wants and is good with Battle royal games from other developers but wants them to not Directly copy come out with your own versions/ spins on the genre.

So... how does he define "directly copy"? From what I've seen the "copycats" HAVE put their own spin into it and some even added it on top of a preexisting game.

18 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

The Game leaves Early Access on December 20th in 6 days from now and will Run pretty well and a huge amount better then in the past ( Test Servers are up for the Full game now to try it and its a huge Improvement) 

I'll believe it when I see it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*