pubg creator copycat concerns

porina
4 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

so the guy who made a mod for dayz and later ported that mod as standalone

(by buying a truckload of unity assets and throwing it out there in early access charging 40$ for it)

now goes around complaining about people copying an idea ? 

Bildergebnis für what

Therein lies the major problem, it's not even his idea. Battle Royale was used by the WWF in the 80s to describe their Royal Rumble events and I'm sure the concept goes back even further than that.

Edit

So I did some googling and it turns out that the term Battle Royale was in use as early as the 17th century and is thought to have originated in the world of cockfighting though no one is 100% sure where the phrase originated from. The first time it was written in literature was in a play in 1672.

So yeah Mr "but they're copying my idea", turns out "your idea" is 350 (ish) years old.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I mean if were going way way back, we used to do battle royales in Everquest on my server. all of Greater Faydark was the BG.  

19 hours ago, Brehohn said:

PUBG came from Infestation Stories. So... who's the copycat now? 

Yes, I know. The developer behind that went on to make PUBG. But regardless, it's based off the same thing. 

They can't complain about their game being "copied" when Fortnite released for FREE and runs completely fine on console and PC. Meanwhile, PUBG struggles to even perform well.

The fortnite map is literally 1/4 of the size of the Pubg map.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

This is a problem with getting big during early access, other people can take your genre and finish their product before you do.

If game devs don't like it then they should stop relying on the early access crutch. It can become a real liability when other people can put out a similar game before you even start optimization yourself.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Therein lies the major problem, it's not even his idea. Battle Royale was used by the WWF in the 80s to describe their Royal Rumble events and I'm sure the concept goes back even further than that.

Edit

So I did some googling and it turns out that the term Battle Royale was in use as early as the 17th century and is thought to have originated in the world of cockfighting though no one is 100% sure where the phrase originated from. The first time it was written in literature was in a play in 1672.

So yeah Mr "but they're copying my idea", turns out "your idea" is 350 (ish) years old.

And it wasn't even he who kickstarted it. It all started with Survivour Gamez, competition hosted on twitch featuring popular streamers. He saw the demand when this became popular and made it an automated mod. And he has expanded on it severely so I'm grateful for his work but this is bs

... so you saying a man, who milk ~$1B out of milions of people by copy-pasting the same game over and over again now wanna IP on "his" product? LuL

He's salty cause he sold way too many copies under early access rather than retail pricing.

*makes unoriginal game

*worries there may be similar games 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 12/14/2017 at 2:58 PM, michaelocarroll007 said:

Maybe its not illegal but if a movie had the exact same lines and plot or a book had been copied 50% of the words and the other 50% just changed up a little bit  it would still be

Replace book by "another movie" and you basically have Hollywood, where the scripts are pulled out a drawer, search&replace character names, print for "new" movie...

On 12/14/2017 at 4:48 AM, porina said:

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42320076/pubg-creator-says-games-need-better-protection-from-copycat-titles

Now here's a tricky one, and not limited to gaming. How similar does something need to be to something else for it to be a copy? Battle Royale as a concept (outside gaming) has existed for a very long time. It was first made famous to me by the Japanese film from 2000 of that name, but it goes back much further than that. So I'd argue the general idea in itself isn't new even if pubg is the first to bring it to the mainstream in gaming. 

I wonder if we can look at fps games as a whole for comparison. It is a long time ago now, but I look back at (90's versions of) Wolfenstein, Doom, later Quake and various spinoffs using the same engine... I don't really recall the mechanics changing that much early on. Go somewhere, kill everything, repeat. Occasionally open a door or push a button. Looking at games today, there are more mechanics variation, and storyline has become a much bigger part, along with multiplayer focused games. As someone not into the genre, they still look pretty similar to me...

Um, it can be very debatable about pubg bringing battle royal main stream, at most the game re brought that game mode back to being popular.  I think the only way a dev would get in trouble is if they copy all the way down to damage and handling mechanics that pubg uses.  Otherwise, I don't think one could sue over a game mode.  It would be kind of like an artist suing over an art style....

Heck, it would be like Blizzard suing someone over the the game mode that turn into a genre for games:  MOBA that derived off the RTS genre.  ....I would call a dev straight up stupid to sue over the basic foundation of a genre or game mode.

Also, I have no doubt there some peeps lurking around who remember doing You Only Live Twice in GoldenEye back on the N64.  That mode is kind of like last man standing, in its case, you only have two lives and the last person standing wins.  So, a battle royale style mode for sure.

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

*makes unoriginal game

*worries there may be similar games 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep, the same nutty stuff I see even in the art community too.  I see artists get in a fit because another artist does a similar style.  Wop Di Do.  Peeps need to get over it.  Because, I one time had to straighten one artist out when they accused me of stealing their style. Um, I don't think you can own the art style called Art Nouveau.  Talk about having to get a younger artist attitude straightened out.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

if PubG creator sue those creator, Just cause 2 multiplayer9_9 and other game creators should sue PubG creator.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:43 AM, Eroda said:

didnt H1Z1 have a battle royal feature similar to pubG only it came out eay earlier?

If I recall pubg creator created that mode for them