10,000 Hour Theory

So recently my guitar teacher brought up the 10,000 hour theory. For those of you who don't know. If you work for 10,000 hours at something you've officially mastered it. So one day in math class I was thinking. "Have I spent 10,000 hours in school?" So I whipped out my calculator and did the math. Going to a standard American public school I spend 8 hours a day at school. We'll define this variable as H. Then there are 5 days a school week. (D) 36 weeks in a school year.(S) And being a 6th grader by the end of the year I will have spent 7 years in school.(Y)  So if you do the math.

H*D*S*Y

(8*5*36*7)

Equals 10,080 hours of being a student. So by the end of the year if we account for the 10 or so days I've missed I will have spent 10,000 hours being a student. So technically I'm a master at being a student. 

Post in the comments down below what you guys are technically masters of!

I am a master of sleep as well :P

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

That would make me a master at a few things then.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Nope, I have put more than 10,000 hours of effort in to somethings (napkin math) but I know I am not a master.  Guitar being one,  I can play but I would not call myself a master by any stretch of the imagination.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

a master requires a genetic predisposition to the subject as well as the time put in

otherwise you just good at it

12 hours ago, Mindersteve said:

Equals 10,0080 hours of being a student. So by the end of the year if we account for the 10 or so days I've missed I will have spent 10,000 hours being a student. So technically I'm a master at being a student. 

Well... That's not really how the rule works.

It has to be deliberate practices of a single thing. Like playing chess, or the piano.

Probably worth mentioning that it's just a rule to achieve "world-class expertise", and there are several people saying it's not true.

5 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

I am a master at breathing.

You're so good at it that you don't even have to think about it... Except right now.

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

Nope, I have put more than 10,000 hours of effort in to somethings (napkin math) but I know I am not a master.  Guitar being one,  I can play but I would not call myself a master by any stretch of the imagination.

You sure you put 10K hours into guitar practice? Not just playing, but actually focused and practice it.

If it takes 10,000 hours to master something that means I've mastered not sleeping and being a C#nt

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

There is another saying along the lines of an expert is someone who has done something once. You don't have to be good at it, but you can tell others you've done it... like most posts on forums!

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You sure you put 10K hours into guitar practice? Not just playing, but actually focused and practice it.

Yep, if not, then close enough to know that not everyone can become a master at just anything.    I could fill in for a song or two in a pub gig and half the audience probably wouldn't notice, but if I sit in a studio the engineer will know straight up I am not cut out for it. 

Let me rephrase for those who like absolutes:

There probably is some truth to the saying for people who already have a disposition or for certain fields, but master musician is a very big claim for just 10,000 hours and many people simply do not have the innate talent to master an instrument.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

well shit, I am only 1/10th of the way to being a master at Europa Universalis 4, I better get to work 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

18 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

That would make me a master at a few things then.

Dude, sick! We don't want to hear about that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

23 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

When you're a student, you're not usually allowed to focus only on a specific topic, but a bunch of stuff. In my high school, for example, I had portuguese, english, math, history, geography, biology, physics, chemistry, p.e., arts (music, plastic arts, threatre), sociology, philosophy and religious education. In the end, everybody ends up knowing almost nothing about everything instead of learning something useful. :/

Until you go to college. The point of school is increasing levels of specificity.

Elementary school is very broad strokes: Here's how to count, here's the alphabet, here's how you add and subtract. 
High school is slightly finer strokes: Here's how to play a clarinet, here's how to do algebra, here's some classes you can choose one from.
Junior college is slightly finer still: Here's some classes geared specifically towards your area of expertise, but you'll also be taking "core" classes.
University is pretty darn fine strokes: Here's some classes that have to do with your degree.
Graduate school is extremely fine strokes: I'm self studying this one specific aspect of my field.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

So no one has been played their favorite game for 10k hours just yet?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Just now, Hiya! said:

In one sitting? Believe it or not, no.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

32 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Until you go to college. The point of school is increasing levels of specificity.

You're still not a master after said schooling, you only become a true master after doing it for 10,000 hours of practice. Basically a true master of anything useful for work at the age of 18 one would require 4 hours a day Mon-Fri 8 hours Sat/Sun 52 weeks of the year and started at the age of 12 years and 8 months.

I'm a master of nothing, due to getting bored of doing it before 10,000 hours. The closest i have gotten next to work, is Runescape... which i dont play any more

18 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

In one sitting? Believe it or not, no.

wha? of course not.

That would be absurd but awesome at the same time.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

wha? of course not.

That would be absurd but awesome at the same time.

You should be more clear.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

21 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You should be more clear.

Its 10.000 hours (-__-")

Its clear enough drak3

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

Its 10.000 hours (-__-")

Its clear enough drak3

You don't know, maybe one of us is an elaborate AI that has been let loose to validate the Turing test.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

45 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Most I've put into one game is 3.5k hours. :(

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

didn't this whole this get disproved as just another stupid myth right up there with humans only use 10% of our brains? 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333