10,000 Hour Theory

12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not. It's, at best, a hypothesis.

the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/Submit
noun
a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained

He's making a guess, based on evidence, so it can be classified as either, but it really doesn't matter which you call it, because whatever it is, he's making a guess

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

sleeping

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

On 12/11/2017 at 2:09 AM, Mindersteve said:

So recently my guitar teacher brought up the 10,000 hour theory. For those of you who don't know. If you work for 10,000 hours at something you've officially mastered it. So one day in math class I was thinking. "Have I spent 10,000 hours in school?" So I whipped out my calculator and did the math. Going to a standard American public school I spend 8 hours a day at school. We'll define this variable as H. Then there are 5 days a school week. (D) 36 weeks in a school year.(S) And being a 6th grader by the end of the year I will have spent 7 years in school.(Y)  So if you do the math.

H*D*S*Y

(8*5*36*7)

Equals 10,080 hours of being a student. So by the end of the year if we account for the 10 or so days I've missed I will have spent 10,000 hours being a student. So technically I'm a master at being a student. 

Post in the comments down below what you guys are technically masters of!

Can you really class reception (To Americans that would be Kindergarden) as a year in school though? as really you're not learning anything that would be accustom in school

But also to poke a slight hole in the 10,000 theory although it maybe true (i've heard this from my guitar teachers to) doesn't mean you're playing what ever it is 'correctly' to quote a famous YouTube teacher by the name of Justin Sandercoe; "Practice makes permanent not perfect"

42 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/Submit
noun
a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained

He's making a guess, based on evidence, so it can be classified as either, but it really doesn't matter which you call it, because whatever it is, he's making a guess

It's a hypothesis. A theory is not a guess. It's a conclusion based on all evidence available. A theory is the accumilation of tasting and data collecting.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10,000 hours of doing something wrong isn't conducive to becoming a master of it.

But tbf, you know when you're good at school when you're introducing unnecessary algebra into your life.

I spent 18.5 thousand hours in school, and 1.1 k hours in uni and I haven't mastered anything.

35 minutes ago, Mug said:

10,000 hours of doing something wrong isn't conducive to becoming a master of it.

It's conducive to being a master of doing it wrong.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 12/14/2017 at 1:59 AM, Leshya said:

Actually, very few do. S1mple, with one of the highest hours in top tier CS has around 7K. And again, no CS pro has 10K hours in say grenade throwing or pure aiming or jump mechanics etc. It's similar to school, a little about a lot.

When you say he has 7k hours, are you including hours from previous CS games? It’s likely he had lots of hours in 1.6/source, and if you have a lot of skill in those 2 games it’s likely that that skill will somewhat transfer over to GO.

On 13/12/2017 at 4:18 PM, IrwinAllen13 said:

This is kind of along the same lines, but similar...

Thanks for the link.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:10 AM, hconverse02 said:

the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/Submit
noun

Except that his guess is not based on evidence, as  the evidence says otherwise.  Therefore he can't be stating a theory, he can at best be proposing that a condition that is contrary to the evidence be true.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 12/10/2017 at 6:09 PM, Mindersteve said:

So recently my guitar teacher brought up the 10,000 hour theory. For those of you who don't know. If you work for 10,000 hours at something you've officially mastered it. So one day in math class I was thinking. "Have I spent 10,000 hours in school?" So I whipped out my calculator and did the math. Going to a standard American public school I spend 8 hours a day at school. We'll define this variable as H. Then there are 5 days a school week. (D) 36 weeks in a school year.(S) And being a 6th grader by the end of the year I will have spent 7 years in school.(Y)  So if you do the math.

H*D*S*Y

(8*5*36*7)

Equals 10,080 hours of being a student. So by the end of the year if we account for the 10 or so days I've missed I will have spent 10,000 hours being a student. So technically I'm a master at being a student. 

Post in the comments down below what you guys are technically masters of!

I think that theory actually states that 10000 hours is the MINIMUM required to be a master of something. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

Jesus Christ I was just posting a kinda interesting thing. Then everyone's just all like, "Nope."

1 hour ago, Mindersteve said:

Jesus Christ I was just posting a kinda interesting thing. Then everyone's just all like, "Nope."

These types of things always spiral into a binary position.  Also some of us don't like to be reminded that even with 10,000 hours up our sleeve we are still shit. :S

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 hours ago, Mindersteve said:

I agree it's interesting but it boils down to an attempt to quantify mastery, which really can't be done. 

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666mhz memory

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 
2x 1tb WD Black HDD's (raid 0)

18 minutes ago, zasker55 said:

I agree it's interesting but it boils down to an attempt to quantify mastery, which really can't be done. 

very true

After doing some research on this topic, it turns out that there is somethings that have been missed.

When the hypothesis first came out by Anders Ercisson, he stated that as a general rule one will need a average of 10,000 hours of "Deliberate Practice" to be considered "World-Class" with any skill. Deliberate Practice is defined as practicing in a way that pushes your skill set as much as possible, pretty much being challenged. The key word in this statement from Ericsson is "Average". When he first performed his study back in 1993, he stated that people who are naturally "Gifted" may require less to become a master of something.

The idea is that it takes an average of 10,000 hours to Master an entire skill. This is the original paper if anyone is interested. https://www.gwern.net/docs/psychology/writing/1993-ericsson.pdf

On 12/14/2017 at 2:59 AM, Leshya said:

And again, no CS pro has 10K hours in say grenade throwing or pure aiming or jump mechanics etc. It's similar to school, a little about a lot.

This is kind of reach on debunking the statement. You can have the same idea about a chess player. No one chess player will have 10K hours in using his Bishop to checkmate someone. Also, in regards to school, does anyone really even consider attending school to even be a skill?

19 hours ago, IrwinAllen13 said:

After doing some research on this topic, it turns out that there is somethings that have been missed.

I think people just aren't interested in bolstering up outdated theories.