i3 8350K Coffee Lake on a Z170 Motherboard

Mecatronico

They should have gone the different socket route if they wanted to be assholes. Then again, they did that with LGA775 and 771, and even my P5K-VM was able to be modded to run anything Socket 771.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

They should have gone the different socket route if they wanted to be assholes. Then again, they did that with LGA775 and 771, and even my P5K-VM was able to be modded to run anything Socket 771.

They should have,  at least then half the people complaining wouldn't have battered an eyelid.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Oh boy, you're one of those people, eh? So you must like having Intel's hand up your ass and forcing you to buy into a new platform if you have the itch to upgrade but don't want to go AMD or HEDT? Or how about having to buy a Z-chipset board for a Pentium because Intel are sitting with a thumb up their ass pushing the H and B chipset boards?

No I just dont care about having to buy another fucking board after 2-3 years of use. And then people bitch about the board and say "im going AMD instead" and go buy a new fucking board! 

Also this article doesnt prove shit until I see if run a 8700k. Running the lowest end chip on a socket redesigned around power delivery is not proof that this works or intel is just fucking us. 

16 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

No I just dont care about having to buy another fucking board after 2-3 years of use. And then people bitch about the board and say "im going AMD instead" and go buy a new fucking board! 

Also this article doesnt prove shit until I see if run a 8700k. Running the lowest end chip on a socket redesigned around power delivery is not proof that this works or intel is just fucking us. 

Well have fun with spending more money than is actually necessary for basically jack shit additional features.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

"Works" can be misunderstood, and shouldn't be used without the context of "how well?" Does it work as intended, with stability and longevity? The ethusiast side of me is intrigued that they got it to work, similar to 775 and 771. That being said though, I know many cases of those not being stable and having compatibility issues with voltage regulation, amongst other things.

1 hour ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Sorry I read the title and went into autopilot mode. 

1 hour ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

The title :)

The critical issue here is that you apparently believe that posting without ever reading the first post is a valid way to operate on any kind of forum.

12 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

"Works" can be misunderstood, and shouldn't be used without the context of "how well?" Does it work as intended, with stability and longevity? The ethusiast side of me is intrigued that they got it to work, similar to 775 and 771. That being said though, I know many cases of those not being stable and having compatibility issues with voltage regulation, amongst other things.

I liken the situation to driving a 4 sec drag car on an urban street, yes you can do it, but crashing and burning are real possibilities depending on the specific street.  If Intel had some viable way of testing/validating the motherboards thent we might have seen a different outcome. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Running the lowest end chip on a socket redesigned around power delivery is not proof that this works or intel is just fucking us. 

Its already been proven, asus said it themselves, 8 core coffeelake is coming. Whilst the 6 core doesn't need it, an 8 core will noticeably benefit from the better power delivery.

2 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

I want to know if 6 core 8th gen chips can still work though. I mean, 8350k is just a renamed i5-7600k.

it's not . spec wise , it may seem that way , but it's a completely different die . The 8350k uses the same 6C , 150mm² die as the 8700k.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

32 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

it's not . spec wise , it may seem that way , but it's a completely different die . The 8350k uses the same 6C , 150mm² die as the 8700k.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i3/i3-8350k  126mm sq.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8700k 149mm sq.

I dont think so.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Its already been proven, asus said it themselves, 8 core coffeelake is coming. Whilst the 6 core doesn't need it, an 8 core will noticeably benefit from the better power delivery.

Yes, but ASUS is still only one of many motherboard manufacturers for Intel. Unless all manufacturers come out with the same statement and we see user modifications getting these boards running 6 core, not 4 core Coffee Lake chips, I'm taking all of this information with a grain of salt. The fact that everybody is so quick to attack Intel over a quad core chip running on a motherboard that supports quad cores of a very similar architecture is quite sad.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

8 minutes ago, Suika said:

Yes, but ASUS is still only one of many motherboard manufacturers for Intel. Unless all manufacturers come out with the same statement and we see user modifications getting these boards running 6 core, not 4 core Coffee Lake chips, I'm taking all of this information with a grain of salt. The fact that everybody is so quick to attack Intel over a quad core chip running on a motherboard that supports quad cores of a very similar architecture is quite sad.

Not only that, but if we read exactly what asus said, not much has been proven at all except to verify the reasoning Intel has given.

While the i3 8350K does not work flawlessly, lacking the ability to use its integrated GPU or the motherboard's first PCIe slot, the CPU does boot into Windows.

Those are kind of important. I'll pass.

Its not reallty the chipsets fault (because it does support the processor after all - made clear by booting) but rather the boards fault for not supporting the GPU or PCI-e - which is understandable to say the least since the manufacterer can't support it anyway. It just makes Intels point a bit clearer that they want to distance coffee lake away from the older generations. They wanted a bigger change to compete with Ryzen but they won't get it to feel different when they haven't had much time.

7 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Well this obviously proves this wrong.

Only it doesn't, realistic speaking nobody is going to do this and there probably are reasons because of so, to begin with it required heavy modding on a high end motherboard, it is safe to say that motherboards  in their greatest majority will not meet the necessary conditions even with the heavy modding to them.

Just because a minority of specific high end motherboards with a lot of work that nobody would've bother doing realistic speaking managed to boot windows on the rebranded i5 7600k it does not automatically prove that any i5 and i7 Coffee Lake 6 cores actually works  by any means.

This proves nothing but what one could expect from extended savvy research, it does not represent real world one bit therefore Coffee Lake only works on Z370 stands.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Not much of a surprise, we knew that Covfefe works on 100 and 200 series mobos, but Intel are greedy a-holes that use excuses of power delivery to force people who already bought a 100 or 200 series mobo to buy a new one. Cause:

Yeah, you know money that thing a massive company like Intel needs to survive. It's called Capitalism.

@seon123 Ah yes a classic laugh from seon, keep it up buddy boy. :)  I would prefer a rebuttal my good man, but clearly you cant argue my point because you know i'm right :) 

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

4 minutes ago, Douglas The Duck said:

Yeah, you know money that thing a massive company like Intel needs to survive. It's called Capitalism.

There's a difference between capitalism and just being greedy for the sake of being greedy.

Just now, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

There's a difference between capitalism and just being greedy.

Do you really think motherboard sales impact's Intel. It's like a grain of sand in the desert.

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

2 hours ago, Douglas The Duck said:

Do you really think motherboard sales impact's Intel. It's like a grain of sand in the desert.

Considering Intel's market share that grain of sand is actually the desert.

8 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Considering Intel's market share that grain of sand is actually the desert.

Not really. Intel makes maybe $5 per chipset. It's motherboard makers getting most of those profits.

9 hours ago, Mecatronico said:

Here is the source:

https://videocardz.com/74298/z170-motherboard-modded-to-support-intel-core-i3-8350k

The motherboard used for this mod is definitely not a cheap one. MSI’s Z170A Xpower Titanium could probably even support 8700K, thanks to modified power delivery for overclocking.

The modder has successfully booted into Windows OS with i3-8350K processor installed on Z170 motherboard. BIOS modifications and microcode changes were necessary to make this work. However, saying that this mod works flawlessly is probably an overstatement. The integrated GPU is not available. In fact, even the primary PCI-Express slot is not working, but those might just be motherboard/driver specific issues. Further modifications could probably resolve such problems.

Intel claims that power delivery modifications for Coffee Lake-S LGA1151 socket made backward compatibility impossible. However, few weeks ago Adrew Wu from ASUS confirmed that the decision to disable CFL-S support for Z170/270 was dictated by Intel, while older motherboards could easily support them. This custom modification is just a confirmation of this claim.

I was anticipating something like that ever since i heard that coffee lake was gonna use LGA 1151

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

I don't think it's all that surprising or interesting: we know overbuilt premium motherboards are well, overbuilt and can handle voltages far beyond the specification. In fairness to intel I would expect all premium z170 and z270 board to have robust enough power delivery and such.

The real test would be one of the lower end boards capable of handling it, or an 8700k.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Can I also point out that to my knowledge Intel have never actually said 8000 CPUs couldn't work on older chipsets, they said that it won't but they didn't say it couldn't.

It was a few individuals from this forum telling everyone it wouldn't work because pin changes and power delivery issues and that got parroted back so much it became an internet fact. A little bit like how the 9000 series having 8 cores has already been mentioned in this very thread like it's a fact when at this point it's nothing more than a single unverified source rumour.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)