i3 8350K Coffee Lake on a Z170 Motherboard

Mecatronico
52 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Can I also point out that to my knowledge Intel have never actually said 8000 CPUs couldn't work on older chipsets, they said that it won't but they didn't say it couldn't.

It was a few individuals from this forum telling everyone it wouldn't work because pin changes and power delivery issues and that got parroted back so much it became an internet fact. A little bit like how the 9000 series having 8 cores has already been mentioned in this very thread like it's a fact when at this point it's nothing more than a single unverified source rumour.

IKR,  Unfortunately when people read something that supports their feels they take it to the level of fact and we spend an eternity debunking.  It is the internet equivalent of old wives tales. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Considering Intel's market share that grain of sand is actually the desert.

I hope you realise what you just said was stupid. Intel as a company, not your pc building bubble. Intel make some of the most expensive processors and servers in the world for big company's. Most of the time there not cheap. Artificial intelgance research isn't cheap. So what if you have to buy another motherboard, people on AMD's platform are probably going to but x470 when it comes out. Also do you even know what the market share is AMD mostly like doesn't  even have 30%.

............................................________ 
....................................,.-'"...................``~., 
.............................,.-"..................................."-., 
.........................,/...............................................":, 
.....................,?......................................................, 
.................../...........................................................,
................./......................................................,:`^`..
.............../...................................................,:".........
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../ ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../ 
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/ 
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....} 
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../ 
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../ 
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-" 
............/.`~,......`-...................................../ 
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__ 
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-, 
.....`=~-,__......`,................................. 
...................`=~-,,.,............................... 
................................`:,,...........................`.............._
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==`` 
........................................_..........._,-%.......` 

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

17 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Not much of a surprise, we knew that Covfefe works on 100 and 200 series mobos, but Intel are greedy a-holes that use excuses of power delivery to force people who already bought a 100 or 200 series mobo to buy a new one. Cause:

giphy.gif

In other words intel is a "business"

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

In other words intel is a "business"

I really hope your joking. 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

3 minutes ago, Douglas The Duck said:

I really hope your joking. 

you're*

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

you're*

So your that type of guy, huh.

Just now, Douglas The Duck said:

lol, what the type of guy who spells correctly?

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

lol, what the type of guy who spells correctly?

Tell me, why wouldn't Intel be a "business"

11 minutes ago, Douglas The Duck said:

Tell me, why wouldn't Intel be a "business"

I think you're misunderstanding

I'm saying that the original description,  

"greedy a-holes.. force people who already bought... to buy a new one."

basically defines modern business, especially when it comes to tech/hardware.

My quotations were not meant to be satirical.

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I think you're misunderstanding

I'm saying that the original description,  

"greedy a-holes.. force people who already bought... to buy a new one."

basically defines modern business.

My quotations were not meant to be satirical.

Intel may be greedy to some, but I think people fail to realise that Intel really doesn't profit a lot from motherboard sales. 

Me personally I'll spend money on a new board every year. However I'm going to wait till ice lake (10th gen) because like I said before, I rather get a quality product, because weather people like it or not, Intel makes quality. Heck they pioneered the processor.

So many anti-Intel evangelists in here, too many damn targets and fighting over a high-end board working with a quad-core. In other news, Pentiums are now hyper-threaded!

I don't see why we're making this a big deal. Asus can say whatever they want, but they aren't making any strides to change the BIOS to accept CFL on Z170/270 boards. I'd also like to see these guys get the hexa-cores up and working or at least getting the PCIe slot and iGPU working with the quad-core, unless we're settling for the "I told you so [asterisk] *May or may not be fully functional as designed"... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

17 hours ago, mr moose said:

Doesn't anyone read anything anymore?

I didn't even read this reply.

Kappa.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

29 minutes ago, Douglas The Duck said:

Intel may be greedy to some, but I think people fail to realise that Intel really doesn't profit a lot from motherboard sales. 

Me personally I'll spend money on a new board every year. However I'm going to wait till ice lake (10th gen) because like I said before, I rather get a quality product, because weather people like it or not, Intel makes quality. Heck they pioneered the processor.

I agree, basically the point of my original comment.

The truth is that AMD would use the same business tactics but they can't because they have to use anything they can as a selling point to stay afloat in the market.

I don't particularly dislike AMD but the idea that they aren't greedy or just another business is ridiculous.

28 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

So many anti-Intel evangelists in here, too many damn targets and fighting over a high-end board working with a quad-core. In other news, Pentiums are now hyper-threaded!

I don't see why we're making this a big deal. Asus can say whatever they want, but they aren't making any strides to change the BIOS to accept CFL on Z170/270 boards. I'd also like to see these guys get the hexa-cores up and working or at least getting the PCIe slot and iGPU working with the quad-core, unless we're settling for the "I told you so [asterisk] *May or may not be fully functional as designed"... 

not to mention nothing said on turbo boost and all instructions and extensions working also which is what makes intel cpu an intel cpu

22 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

All Coffee Lake CPU's  have to have a 300 series chipset board for it to work. 

That, clearly, is not true...

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 hours ago, Douglas The Duck said:

I thought they said Ice Lake would be 9th gen?

5 hours ago, Douglas The Duck said:

You're*

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I didn't even read this reply.

Kappa.

where's the snarky self informed rebuttal?  xD

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The seemingly impossible (as per Intel) has happened: an Intel Z170 motherboard was made to support Intel's latest Core i3-8350K. This news comes after various reports and counter reports went for and against this being actually viable, according to motherboard socket pin count and function allocation. That this happened not on a Z270 motherboard, but on a Z170, really does serve to open our eyes as customers to what sort of games might be being played by tech companies in product refreshes and new motherboard chipsets.

A Baidu user has posted some picture of their MSI Z170 motherboard successfully running a Intel Core i3 8350K coffeelake CPU. The process was achieved by using a modified bios and changes to the microcode. While the cpu does work on the Z170 chipset, the modified bios still have some bugs like primary PCIe slot and integrated graphics are not working.

wnkSAu8RQ9FYOP76.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/239399/msi-z170a-xpower-titanium-modded-supports-intel-core-i3-8350k

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Interesting... and well done.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Wake me up once a user gets a six core running on these boards, otherwise there's no new information and everybody is just going to start hate mongering.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

If an i7-8700k can work on a Z170 board, it might be my future CPU here in a few years to save money from upgrading mobo ect. 

That is, unless Zen+ or the next lineup of Intel CPUs are really good

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

successfully running 

is a bit of a stretch.

as such, there are some bugs still to iron out, such as the IGP not functioning, and the primary PCIe slot being unavailable

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, VegetableStu said:

wait, if the x16 slot doesn't work and the IGP doesn't work, how does one use a monitor off that setup? o_o

It mentions the primary x16 slot doesn't work. You can choose another X16 slot or use X1 etc.

That's great... but we need 6 cores for this to matter at all

That's an F in the profile pic