Paul shows how to install Threadripper CPUs.

I have to say, I really like the installation method.

x399 motherboards might not have many RMAs for bent pins after all.

Edit: Paul stated a few things after re uploading his video.

** TWO FINAL NOTES ABOUT INSTALLATION ** 1. You can leave the final protective pin cover on the socket until the very last second -- installing the CPU into the middle carrier tray first would be best practice. 2. At the end of installation you can tighten the 3 Torx screws "all the way", but the included Torx tool is geared for the exact right amount of torque and will click when you hit it. The amount is labeled on the tool if you're wondering -- 1.5 N.m / 15 Kg-cm / 13.3 In-lb / 18 Ft-oz THANKS FOR WATCHING EVERYONE!

4 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

That orange thing is going to piss off and annoy a lot of people lol

I mean not too much of it is showing when the CPU is installed, AMD should have definitely made it a better color though. Either way I'm interested to see if it affects thermals at all, because you know someone's going to find a way to install TR4 CPUs without it.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

5 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

I don't think that you will even see it after a cooler is installed.

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

ye lol, why not make it black? :D

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Just now, Kukielka said:

ye lol, why not make it black? :D

Orange is easy to see, AMD may have thought that the bright color would help with installation.

Or simply that orange is Ryzens color theme, and you will have orange in your build whether you like it or not.:P

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

Is the orange piece on Threadripper orange on Epyc too?

I'm not sure if anyone knows yet.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Someone's going to 3d print them and make loads of money.  @CableMod hint?

Brilliant!  I own a 3D printer, and know how to model.  I'll be swimming in cash in no time!:P

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Someone's going to 3d print them and make loads of money.  @CableMod hint?

The Asus X99 installation tool was very similar to this and in some cases had slight deformations or burs causing improper CPU mounting. I wouldn't trust replacing a CPU mounting component with a 3rd party 3D printed mod as the accuracy will likely not be good enough.

Just now, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Brilliant!  I own a 3D printer, and know how to model.  I'll be swimming in cash in no time!:P

Will you provide warranty in the event that the CPU and/or Motherboard dies due to a manufacturing defect on the installation tool resulting in improper mounting pressure?

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Will you provide warranty in the event that the CPU and/or Motherboard dies due to a manufacturing defect on the installation tool resulting in improper mounting pressure?

Hell no!  Replace at your own risk!

tenor.gif

You do realize that i'm not being serious, right?

3 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Hell no!  Replace at your own risk!

Well, I guess I will take my non-existent business elsewhere.

You do realize that i'm not being serious, right?

Yes.

Considering how I have a lump in my throat everytime I install an Intel LGA CPU because I'm afraid of damage to the pins I actually would like this on all CPUs.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

7 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Well, I guess I will take my non-existent business elsewhere.

Yes.

In all seriousness, 3D printing something like a CPU carrier frame is a terrible idea.  Dimensional accuracy can be compromised very easily.

Type of plastic, color of said plastic, printing speed, hotend temperature, and even ambient temperature are all factors at play.

13 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

Considering how I have a lump in my throat everytime I install an Intel LGA CPU because I'm afraid of damage to the pins I actually would like this on all CPUs.

Threadripper's mounting system seems to be superior in every way, except maybe for speed of installation.

7 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

lol...... just... lol

Care to elaborate?

Has anyone unboxed a retail threadripper yet? He has the box beside him and he does take it out of the last "step" of the packaging but I want to see the whole threadripper unboxing.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Care to elaborate?

I think its too complicated for a damn cpu mounting... its like you're installing an engine... no idea how people used to bend the pins before on am3 or fm2, I cant see the reasoning behind this thing...

3 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Has anyone unboxed a retail threadripper yet? He has the box beside him and he does take it out of the last "step" of the packaging but I want to see the whole threadripper unboxing.

I know Steve at Hardware Unboxed is going to do a Threadripper unboxing in an upcoming episode of Unboxing Boxes, if somebody doesn't beat him too it maybe check that video out.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Just now, Swatson said:

Has anyone unboxed a retail threadripper yet? He has the box beside him and he does take it out of the last "step" in the packaging but I want to see the whole threadripper unboxing.

Same here, those boxes look easy to reuse for other purposes.

1 minute ago, Darel321 said:

I think its too complicated for a damn cpu mounting... its like you're installing an engine... no idea how people used to bend the pins before on am3 or fm2, I cant see the reasoning behind this thing...

Really?  I could have sworn that installing an engine is just a tad more complicated.

717913e38b5a56a659aa2c4a1eaa761c--diy-ca

3 screws and a few tabs, while more complicated than Intel's installation method, isn't unacceptable.

Especially if the risk of bending pins is much lower as a result.

Also, you don't need a cherry picker to lift it.

It's easy install, just more steps. It's way safer with slide in rail mechanism to keep CPU safe when inserting it into socket. Not dropping it on motherboard and such. It's also secure with last screws too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, Shimejii said:

I looks like it would be easy to take the CPU off it and paint it black (or what ever color) but you can barely see it when it is installed.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc