Paul shows how to install Threadripper CPUs.

So... Can you slide the CPU onto the rails before removing the plastic pin cover?

I just hope the CPUs come with an easy to understand install "guide" (like 4 or 5 pictures showing each steps), because before seeing this, I would've done it the same way I've always installed an Intel CPU and took it out of the orange frame.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

How does this not cause uneven pressure on the pins being installed from an angle? I support making things easier for people to fuck up but its not like installing a CPU was hard as it is.

8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

How does this not cause uneven pressure on the pins being installed from an angle? I support making things easier for people to fuck up but its not like installing a CPU was hard as it is.

keep in mind this is designed for servers and is used only on AMD HEDT for cost savings (not needing to design something different)

the CPU hing doesn't look that ridged so I don't think it messes with it enough to cause uneven pressure. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, Haaselh0ff said:

As long as there are idiots in the world, nothing is idiot-proof.

Nothing can be idiot proof... they are too clever for that.

Looks like both AMD's hedt and Intel's skylake-e need those outer brackets, in order to install the cpu. Skylake-e on the other hand, has the cpu cooler mounted first to the cpu, then the whole thing gets installed onto the socket. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 hours ago, Shimejii said:

That orange thing is going to piss off and annoy a lot of people lol

Should have been red, missed opportunity AMD come on

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

In all seriousness, 3D printing something like a CPU carrier frame is a terrible idea.  Dimensional accuracy can be compromised very easily.

Type of plastic, color of said plastic, printing speed, hotend temperature, and even ambient temperature are all factors at play.

Threadripper's mounting system seems to be superior in every way, except maybe for speed of installation.

Care to elaborate?

That depends on what kind of 3D printing you're using

Crap. He took the video down. I missed it D:

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

i think it looks pretty straightforward i wish amd would send me a sample so i can show people how to install and keep forever 

I can sit here and say "that's a stupid method" with the screws and frame, but really you're only going to install the thing 1 time and be done with it in the vast majority of situations so it's not a big deal.

You should see my installation procedure for screwing down a waterblock on a bare die with no retention mechanism.  Takes me 5 minutes because I have to do it careful and precise.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

8 hours ago, mach said:

That depends on what kind of 3D printing you're using

All FDM printers would have the potential issues that I mentioned.

SLA printers would probably be the ideal choice for dimensional accuracy, but those come with their own bag of worms.

This also doesn't address the potential for the person doing the modeling to have made the part not up to spec.

Even an Ultimaker would have issues with consistent dimensional accuracy.

Edit: Also keep in mind that different plastics have different thermal expansion rates, and even if you successfully print a piece that works, it might not work in a month or two of use.

I saved the video.  I could post a GIF, but i'm not sure if that would break forum rules.

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

It'll be back up in a few days since there is an embargo still in place.

16 hours ago, TetraSky said:

So... Can you slide the CPU onto the rails before removing the plastic pin cover?

I don't see why not.

10 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I can sit here and say "that's a stupid method" with the screws and frame, but really you're only going to install the thing 1 time and be done with it in the vast majority of situations so it's not a big deal.

You should see my installation procedure for screwing down a waterblock on a bare die with no retention mechanism.  Takes me 5 minutes because I have to do it careful and precise.

CPU upgrades are usually not that frequent.

A more robust system that takes an extra 5-10 minutes is perfectly acceptable to me.

9 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

I'm happy to see that the plastic piece on Eypc will be blue.

tumblr_n3aldnaPmY1rjoe31o5_400.gif

59 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I wonder if one could just take the CPU out of the card and just place it directly and close

If the plastic is necessary to help keep tension on the CPU, than no.

Otherwise, I don't see why not.