expect further DRAM price increases - Micron Fab2 was temporarily shut down due to contamination

surce: http://hexus.net/business/news/components/107617-micron-dram-factory-mishap-taiwan-results-fab-suspension/

Micron Technology Taiwan has reportedly shuttered one of its two DRAM fabrication plants in Taiwan. The production lines at Fab-2 were closed down at the beginning of this month after it was found that a nitrogen gas dispensing system had malfunctioned and contaminated both wafers and chipmaking equipment.

The bad news is that the Inotera Fab-2 facility output accounted for 5.5 per cent of worldwide DRAM production (approx 60,000 wafer starts per month) until it closed. With this facility out of action there will undoubtedly be an impact on the balance of demand and supply. You already know it - DRAM prices are set to increase off the back of this news in the coming weeks, if not straight away.

I thank the makers that I managed to get 16GB of DDR4 on 1/2 the price of the same kitt you can buy today

suspect this global DRAM supply problem to last well into 2018 and probably 2019 :|

:(:(:(

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

contaminated both wafers

contaminated BOTH wafers!!!! - ALL TWO OF THEM

those where the last wafers, we are dooomed - DOOOMED

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Fuck.

Well...Monitors are expensive as fvck and its not like there are any GPUs to be had either, so to hell with PCs.  Its more and more a suckers game.

:edit: fake?  Bah.  whatever, I don't even care anymore.

Regarding recent rumours about Micron's fabrication facility in Taoyuan, Taiwan, Micron hereby clarifies that there was no nitrogen leaking incident nor evacuating of personnel,
There was indeed a minor facility event but operations are recovering speedily without material impact to the business

good. Micron can burn. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Oh god :(...

Not the chips, were all doomed without chips and wafers.

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, RotoCoreOne said:

how am i to get rgb ram now?!?! D:

pay more for it.

or actually, just pay the same for it, since it's fake news anyway

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

19 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Fake news Zmeul strikes again

wtf even is hexus, next thing I'll play Starcraft and put down a Nexus and get triggered thinking it's a crappy news site

Glad to hear this is fake/overblown whatever you wanna say.
I really want to upgrade my PC, it is way too long overdue, but these inflated RAM prices make upgrading from a DDR3 PC to 4 cost way too much.

25 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

wtf even is hexus, next thing I'll play Starcraft and put down a Nexus and get triggered thinking it's a crappy news site

Hexus is usually a serious site. Less so in the past 3 months. They jump the gun too often these days.

Well it's still a bad time for buying a PC, there's no Polaris, no ryzen 3, no A320 motherboards, ram and SSDs are expensive, but I'm glad this is fake.

this is a setup to increase prices even further so they can profit off it, its not like all of a sudden the production cost is higher so higher prices means high profits

19 hours ago, Prysin said:

Fake news Zmeul strikes again

Saying fake news with that profile pic is 10/10

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

On 7/5/2017 at 4:47 PM, Jito463 said:

The real question on everyone's mind is, do we still have sufficient dip for the chips?

Not enough, Linus used up the world's supply of Plastidip in one of his videos

/s

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Meh, even if so prices will go down eventually though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |