What is the weirdest solution that has fixed a PC issue you have been dealing with?

Go to solution Solved by MoonlightSylv,
2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Parents and teachers will be like "Its broken" and Ill walk over and it works fine

Oh lol, that's happened to me before.

Doesn't necessarily HAVE  to be a PC issue, it can be anyone dumb troubleshooting that has helped you fix a technological issue :P

Leave the battery out all night (Galaxy S4) and throw it at a wall (anything). 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, WereCat said:

Giving up on solving the issue when it suddenly repairs itself.

Yeah had that happen to me on Friday 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Giving up on solving the issue when it suddenly repairs itself.

Damn, that is so annoying when that happens! Keeps you thinking.

hitting something a few times seems to work.

who said violence doesn't solve problems?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

a friend and I were messing with his pc, it wasn't turning on right. fans only spun for a second then  stopped. Unplugged 4 pin connector near cpu, turned it on again and everything started working.

Hitting a tablet screen for it to start back responding from what i could recall

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

A couple, power button wasn't working on my old iPhone.  Slammed it against the desk, no scratches, cracked screen, nothing, and the power button started working again.

Computer was acting funky one time.  Programs weren't loading games properly, I got frustrated and kicked it, everything just started working.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I have 2 actually, sort of.

Weirdest solution, move the PC downstairs fixed it. Same house, same parts, just moving the pc from the attic to downstairs fixed it.

I did figure out what was the issue. The plug in the attic wasn't grounded while the plugs in the rest of the house were so that was the issue.

When i did my internship in a local IT shop a dude there was doing a build in this case: http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RV05&area=en

He worked there for over a year already so he was experienced with pc builds.

Day 1: Did the build, checked everything, powered it on, psu instantly died. It smelled bad.

Assuming the PSU is DOA, he replaced it, powered it back on, instantly died AGAIN.

Day 2: took everything out of the case, build it piece by piece and tested everything outside the case, all worked fine.

Put the system in the case, powered it on, psu instantly died, AGAIN. (yes 3 psu's died by now)

After another few hours, cause was found!

The case has a fan controller and you can plug some of the connections for it onto the motherboard, turns out that shorts something out and kills the psu.

I still don't understand how a 4-pin fan header can cause 3 dead psu's and survive without any damage to itself but apparently it can.

By then day 2 was over and the system could finally be installed on day 3...

It's by far the worse case ever made...

edit: if you are wondering what psu's he blew up, it were three corsair RM550 psu's.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Speakers built in my monitor stopped working. Cables etc were all good, so I started hitting the monitor a few times. After the third hit, it started working again.

1 minute ago, MkaiL said:

Speakers built in my monitor stopped working. Cables etc were all good, so I started hitting the monitor a few times. After the third hit, it started working again.

Haha, sounds ridiculous! I've had a few dumb issues with monitors in the past that were fixed by doing dumb stuff.

We had a ghost computer in a repair shop once. Put it on a certain shelf and plug into the socker nearby - doesn't turn on. Elsewhere it turns on. Other appliances and computers work on that socket. Using any other socket solves the issue.

I guess this is a weird problem than a weird solution >P.

56 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

iPhone had shit battery and storage, lack of poweruser apps. Sold it

And I tried installing Android on it first... (The very first iPhone).

Drive died 

Tried putting it in other systems and giving it the good old whack on the side, nothing 

Left it overnight 

Came back the next day, gave it one more shot 

Drive alive 

Ran diagnostics 

Presumably killed drive further 

Never got a chance to get data off 

Just now, AUniqueName said:

Drive died 

Tried putting it in other systems and giving it the good old whack on the side, nothing 

Left it overnight 

Came back the next day, gave it one more shot 

Drive alive 

Ran diagnostics 

Presumably killed drive further 

Never got a chance to get data off 

So close, sooo close........ ah, it's gone. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

So close, sooo close........ ah, it's gone. 

P much my reaction 

Wasn't my files either which made it more frustrating 

Every now and then my computer will make an annoying buzzing noise. I have NO IDEA where it comes from. Obviously my first assumption was that some wire is touching a fan and causing the buzzing noise, but I can't find the source anywhere and I've checked all my fans.

My (temporary) solution to this is to simply tab the side of my computer with a bit of force. This makes the noise go away for a while. Tapping the computer when there is no noise will usually cause it to start making the noise again.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Just now, Railgun said:

Every now and then my computer will make an annoying buzzing noise. I have NO IDEA where it comes from. Obviously my first assumption was that some wire is touching a fan and causing the buzzing noise, but I can't find the source anywhere and I've checked all my fans.

My (temporary) solution to this is to simply tab the side of my computer with a bit of force. This makes the noise go away for a while. Tapping the computer when there is no noise will usually cause it to start making the noise again.

Weird... maybe vibration from a fan or cable pressing against the case?

Just now, Celios said:

Weird... maybe vibration from a fan or cable pressing against the case?

Cable vibrating on the case was my second assumption since nothing was touching any fans. Maybe someday I'll take apart the entire computer and find it lol

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

4 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Using windows repair and magically it worked one time only after 8 years of using windows.

Cant rely on that sucker.

That's luck. Windows repair never works. You got lucky.

2 hours ago, Railgun said:

probably something resonating. most likely a cable hitting a side panel that slightly vibrates under certain loads.

My GFs laptop sometimes randomly stops makin any sound. Like start a youtube 2minutes in sounds dies chrome and windows show it is playing sound but nothing comes out. come back 10 minutes later and all is fine again.