What is the weirdest solution that has fixed a PC issue you have been dealing with?

Go to solution Solved by MoonlightSylv,
2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Parents and teachers will be like "Its broken" and Ill walk over and it works fine

Oh lol, that's happened to me before.

5 hours ago, Celios said:

Doesn't necessarily HAVE  to be a PC issue, it can be anyone dumb troubleshooting that has helped you fix a technological issue :P

Hooo boy. here we go.

At home:

Computer would not post after I changed the CPU;

-Took out GPU.  No post.

-Took out HDD.  No post.

-Took out SSD.  No post.

-Took out RAM.  Tried to post???

-Put RAM back in.  Post.

-Put SSD back in.  Post.

-Put HDD back in.  Post.

-Put GPU back in.  Post.

Fixing an aviation radio at work.  COM board isn't working.

-Decide to fix cosmetics on the faceplate first.

-Put unit back together, go to test COM board transmit issue.  Suddenly working.

-THIS HAPPENED ALL THE TIME.  LIKE ONCE A WEEK.

Recently:

-Opened HWmonitor to double check temps on my CPU after having to plug my radiator fans into my motherboard instead of the waterblock.

-Found that temperature was pegged at 100C and throttling.  Pump not running.  Instantly shut off computer and tried to trouble shoot.

-Turn computer back on.  Pump now working.  Didn't do anything.  Computer was happy, idling at 36C. 

-Needless to say I got a new CPU cooler.

And the most annoying thing of my life:

-Computer has memory leak issue during Unreal Engine games.  First noticed in Life Is Strange, later witnessed in Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, BioShock 1-2-Infinite. 

-Memory leak would manifest as steadily declining framerates and GPU usage over the course of playing a game. Start would be around 120 FPS and 100% GPU usage on a GTX Titan.  After about an hour it would be down to 20 FPS with 10% usage and I would start getting a lot of audio tearing and stuttering.

-Replaced GPU from GTX Titan to 2x GTX 970s.  No Fix.

-Replaced CPU from i5-4570K to I7-4770K.  No Fix.

-Replaced RAM from 16GB Corsair DDR3-2133 to 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866. No Fix.  Re-added the Corsair RAM for 32GB of DDR3-1866.

-Replaced MOTHERBOARD from MSI Z87I Gaming-AC to Asus Maximus VI Gene.  No fix.

-Added SSD (500GB 850 EVO) to computer and re-installed Windows.  Tried again after a week.  No fix.

-Figure that Unreal Engine games despise me and decide not to play them.

-At some point remove Corsair Link from computer

-Try Arkham City again.  No problems at all.

CORSAIR LINK was the cause of all my headaches for almost a year and a half trying to figure out why Unreal Engine games didn't work.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:43 PM, CerberusLabrat said:

Hooo boy. here we go.

At home:

-Took out GPU.  No post.

-Took out HDD.  No post.

-Took out SSD.  No post.

-Put RAM back in.  Post.

-Put SSD back in.  Post.

-Put HDD back in.  Post.

-Put GPU back in.  Post.

-Put unit back together, go to test COM board transmit issue.  Suddenly working.

Recently:

-Opened HWmonitor to double check temps on my CPU after having to plug my radiator fans into my motherboard instead of the waterblock.

-Found that temperature was pegged at 100C and throttling.  Pump not running.  Instantly shut off computer and tried to trouble shoot.

-Turn computer back on.  Pump now working.  Didn't do anything.  Computer was happy, idling at 36C. 

-Computer has memory leak issue during Unreal Engine games.  First noticed in Life Is Strange, later witnessed in Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, BioShock 1-2-Infinite. 

-Memory leak would manifest as steadily declining framerates and GPU usage over the course of playing a game. Start would be around 120 FPS and 100% GPU usage on a GTX Titan.  After about an hour it would be down to 20 FPS with 10% usage and I would start getting a lot of audio tearing and stuttering.

-Replaced RAM from 16GB Corsair DDR3-2133 to 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866. No Fix.  Re-added the Corsair RAM for 32GB of DDR3-1866.

-Added SSD (500GB 850 EVO) to computer and re-installed Windows.  Tried again after a week.  No fix.

CORSAIR LINK was the cause of all my headaches for almost a year and a half trying to figure out why Unreal Engine games didn't work.

I hate all this bloatware from manufactures including AMD. I tried using the new ReLive - so many crashes and frame rate drops it's amazing they released this crap.

Had an iPad Pro that kept failing when trying to restore from iTunes. Froze it overnight, let it thaw and dry out, and it worked the next day! 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Shoving a micro USB into a broken charging port until it works (S4 Active) 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

On 5/22/2017 at 11:52 AM, Railgun said:

Every now and then my computer will make an annoying buzzing noise. I have NO IDEA where it comes from. Obviously my first assumption was that some wire is touching a fan and causing the buzzing noise, but I can't find the source anywhere and I've checked all my fans.

My (temporary) solution to this is to simply tab the side of my computer with a bit of force. This makes the noise go away for a while. Tapping the computer when there is no noise will usually cause it to start making the noise again.

I have the same exact issue with one of my fans. I replaced it, moved it, everything. Still sometimes gets noisy and hitting the case hard fixes the problem. If you find a solution please let me know lol

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

My first build, the PSU would shut off after like 10 minutes and wouldn't turn back on for a period of time. Couldn't figure out why. Found out if I plugged in another PSU into a port on the motherboard, the PC would stay on.

Now I'm not sure if plugging in something into that port with the original PSU would've solved anything, but I ran with this for two years.

On May 22, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

Asking for help on the forums before subsequently solving the problem 5 seconds later... 

I've done that myself too.  ?

In high school I put a mod chip in my OG Xbox and the thing just wouldn't turn on afterwards. I opened it up and there was a tiny speck of rogue solder, it was the only thing I could see that could possibly be wrong. I removed it, put it back together and it was fine. 

I once used a piece of string to tie a case fan down preventing it from sagging down and hitting the motherboard.

Barely a 2 milimeter difference and it ran fine for 6 months.

(Picture included)

20160831_232403.jpg

Edited by keenhydra

On 22/05/2017 at 10:43 PM, CerberusLabrat said:

Hooo boy. here we go.

At home:

-Took out GPU.  No post.

-Took out HDD.  No post.

-Took out SSD.  No post.

-Put RAM back in.  Post.

-Put SSD back in.  Post.

-Put HDD back in.  Post.

-Put GPU back in.  Post.

Recently:

Memory leaks are software related next time just eliminate programs 1 by 1 stay might be causing it. 

Using gutter sealant to seal a leaky fitting on my loop, been running for a year without a single drop. Also in the same loop using Araldite to glue a fitting into a pump after the plastic threads were stripped completely. Thinking about it it's a damn miracle I haven't had a leak

Motioninjoy has a weird issues where when you try to install drivers it fails so you have to set the date back to 2014 then install the drivers then you can take your date back to current year :P 

| Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz | XFX RX 480 8 GB | Asus Z87i-Pro | 8.0 GB Kinston DDR3 | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD |

On 5/22/2017 at 5:14 PM, kaiju_wars said:

A couple, power button wasn't working on my old iPhone.  Slammed it against the desk, no scratches, cracked screen, nothing, and the power button started working again.

Computer was acting funky one time.  Programs weren't loading games properly, I got frustrated and kicked it, everything just started working.

welp. My iPhone 5 power button has been acting funny (sometimes requires a very forceful 'click' to register). Taped the button against the lip of my desk a few times and its fixed.... 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

There's two topics about this that i posted a year ago, more or less.

One day, after a thunderstorm that knocked the power down in the entire city, my computer just wouldn't work. I tried everything, rebuilt the PC from the ground up, but no progress was made. Just for kicks, i ordered a new BIOS chip from a local company, and used a borrowed H81 mobo for a few days. As soon as i got it to work with the new chip, everything came back, just as it was before, and the mobo is still my daily driver...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

4 hours ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

There's two topics about this that i posted a year ago, more or less.

One day, after a thunderstorm that knocked the power down in the entire city, my computer just wouldn't work. I tried everything, rebuilt the PC from the ground up, but no progress was made. Just for kicks, i ordered a new BIOS chip from a local company, and used a borrowed H81 mobo for a few days. As soon as i got it to work with the new chip, everything came back, just as it was before, and the mobo is still my daily driver...

Would it power on but just not POST? Most likely the BIOS got corrupted or something along those lines.

18 minutes ago, Celios said:

Would it power on but just not POST? Most likely the BIOS got corrupted or something along those lines.

Yup, wouldn't boot, it would get stuck on the splash screen, it couldn't detect ram properly...

Just a bunch of weird little issues.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

9 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Yup, wouldn't boot, it would get stuck on the splash screen, it couldn't detect ram properly...

Just a bunch of weird little issues.

Yeah, I think changing the BIOS chip can actually solve a lot of boot/UEFI issues.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:00 AM, Celios said:

Doesn't necessarily HAVE  to be a PC issue, it can be anyone dumb troubleshooting that has helped you fix a technological issue :P

I had to remove a glitched wire in my Xbox 360. I didn't know how to open it so I just burned a hole through the plastic and fixed it like that 

I had a Lenovo Y510P that, every now and again, the network adapter would just stop working entirely. It would show up as undetected. I tried many different things to fix it at first and it never worked. It did not work for a month or two and in that time I used a couple of different USB network adapters that worked fine for my wireless solution. However, of course, when I unplugged them I would lose connection. After a while I bought an Alfa USB wireless adapter online (because it had modes 2 & 3 unlocked) and immediately after I plugged it in my internal stock adapter began to work again. It worked perfectly even after I unplugged the Alfa. The crazy thing too is that sometimes the internal adapter would go out again and as long as I plugged in the Alfa - and only the Alfa - it would work again. 

To this day I still don't know what was going on with that.

So grandma's router has more infections than charlie sheen.

router is basically small pc like arduino level.

wipe the bios

reinstall bios from internet at nearest hotspot (That would be a starbucks)

walk in with a laptop and my own router

find router bios on company site

take 3 hours

go back to grandma

gets hella food

A smile goes much farther than the person it's meant for.

First impressions are important, it sets the stage for respect.

"If you don't know every word you don't know it!"- SGM McCray

On June 1, 2017 at 2:41 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Cutting a wireless router on the tablesaw and shoving it into the optical drive on a PC to get wifi support

I'm serious, linus even commented on the thread

When you could spend a little money and just get a crazy cheap wifi card or USB wifi adapter or even Ethernet if you'd like why would you go through that much effort to do that?

I mean it looks kind of cool.  Like your computer is saying "wanna fight me?" but still that's a lot of work for something that could be solved cheaply and as easy as plug device X into computer.  ?

15 hours ago, Nikesbee said:

I had to remove a glitched wire in my Xbox 360. I didn't know how to open it so I just burned a hole through the plastic and fixed it like that 

I see you like to live dangerously.  ? lol

13 hours ago, kittiecommittee said:

I had a Lenovo Y510P that, every now and again, the network adapter would just stop working entirely. It would show up as undetected. I tried many different things to fix it at first and it never worked. It did not work for a month or two and in that time I used a couple of different USB network adapters that worked fine for my wireless solution. However, of course, when I unplugged them I would lose connection. After a while I bought an Alfa USB wireless adapter online (because it had modes 2 & 3 unlocked) and immediately after I plugged it in my internal stock adapter began to work again. It worked perfectly even after I unplugged the Alfa. The crazy thing too is that sometimes the internal adapter would go out again and as long as I plugged in the Alfa - and only the Alfa - it would work again. 

To this day I still don't know what was going on with that.

Modes 2 and 3?  What's that?

2 hours ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

So grandma's router has more infections than charlie sheen.

router is basically small pc like arduino level.

wipe the bios

reinstall bios from internet at nearest hotspot (That would be a starbucks)

walk in with a laptop and my own router

find router bios on company site

take 3 hours

go back to grandma

gets hella food

Idk if what this says about society and if it's good or bad that my iPad dictionary knows what "hella" means.  lol

image.png

My brother had some kind of issue with his computer case. Most likely (definitely) his kids had broken it. When switched on it would turn itself off after 3-5 seconds. You literally had to switch it on and punch the front of the case for it stay on.

#Muricaparrotgang

On my old PC case, it wouldn't power on unless I had a half full water bottle on top. There was a loose connection and the weight was just right. 

One time I accidentally drank out of it and had to carefully get a new one with the exact same amount

This. Not my issue, but definitely the weirdest I've heard of.