What is the weirdest solution that has fixed a PC issue you have been dealing with?

Go to solution Solved by MoonlightSylv,
2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Parents and teachers will be like "Its broken" and Ill walk over and it works fine

Oh lol, that's happened to me before.

Dropped an old hdd once and it started clicking like it was trying to turn the disk and it was stuck on somthing. Dropped it again and it worked don't really know how but hey it worked

Reinstall WLAN card 3 times, restarting pc each time. Then wifi comes back. Every time.

There was a software issue I was having,  implemented a fix and nothing changed, unimplemented the fix and it magically fixed itself.

When anything stops working, my line of thought goes:"restart it and if it doesn't work, hit it with the hardest thing within a one metre radius". I still waiting to be let down by this.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:09 AM, herman mcpootis said:

hitting something a few times seems to work.

who said violence doesn't solve problems?

I'm a big fan of percussive maintenance... especially with my OEM power brick for my Thinkpad.

Doing things the hispanic way and smacking them. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Phone won't take charge anymore:

-solder new micro usb connection to board

-find out charging chip is actually dead and shorted (burning hot) 

-nothing works

- charge the battery manually to 4.1V.

-phone works again, and charges. 

-wtf

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I know it's an older post, but activating Narrator and deactivating him fixed my speakers on my notebook xD 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Blood!

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

I've fixed some stuff by hitting it a few times, sure it's not the absolute best solution, but if it works, it's not stupid!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

My GPU fan was making a really annoying rattling noise. Like, it sounded like a miniature strimmer was running underneath my GPU. I thought maybe it was a bad bearing, so I removed the little sticker from the back of the GPU fan in preparation for oiling the bearing. However, I discovered I didn't have any suitable oil, so I just put the now-stickerless fan back on the card and back in the PC. Somehow, removing the sticker of all things completely stopped the horrible grinding noise. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

its either that pressing restart in windows makes harddrive magically apear, that wrighting freeDOS to a broken USB stick can revive it or that leaveing my old laptop for a few days just fixes every problem there is with it exept for the chargeing port and the burnt out battery lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 2017-06-06 at 4:21 PM, Scruffy90 said:

Doing things the hispanic way and smacking them. 

Percussive maintenance is also the Estonian way. Nice.

I had  WIERD issue around 7 years ago. I used to play WOW and was a druid healer, of course we used ventrillo which for some reason used to cause me to disconnect from the internet randomly - never had the issue with team speak but the guild used ventrillo - So what fixed it? Reinstalling windows? nope. Drivers? Nope, update to vent? nope - I needed a new damn ethernet port, as soon as i got a PCIE network card and stopped using onboard I never had the issue again - NEVER 

weird as hell! 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I got a crappy generic 7 ports USB 3.0 hub from online shopping. The first time I use it only the front 3 ports works for transferring files, the other 4 ports are only useful for power delivering. I checked the reviews for the product and found someone with the exact same issue.

I dismissed it, until I updated Windows 10 to Creator Update on April, where it killed my PC's front panel USBs. I try to find a way to get the front panel USBs back up, one of the method I tried is by installing latest AMD chipset drivers. One update I've installed is USB Filter Driver.

Surprise surprise, I didn't managed to fix the front panel USBs, but the generic USB hub have all 7 ports available to connect to my PC. (Somehow the hub didn't work, again but whatever)

Well, it's not the most weird but it's one of the most annoying: Having to hard flash a BIOS to make something work again.

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

I had a 4GB usb stick that I used to use for school and one time it stopped working after being in my bag for some period of time. I washed my bag and forgot the USB stick was in there. Tested the USB stick again (after being in the washing machine accidentally) and it worked again miraculously xD

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

On 5/22/2017 at 0:47 PM, AUniqueName said:

Drive died 

Tried putting it in other systems and giving it the good old whack on the side, nothing 

Left it overnight 

Came back the next day, gave it one more shot 

Drive alive 

Ran diagnostics 

Presumably killed drive further 

Never got a chance to get data off 

Sounds like me with my OCZ Vertex 2+ SSD that failed on me. THE EXACT SAME ONE Linus and Luke used in S5 of Scrapyard wars. Those drives were apparently notorious for failing. I used mine off and on for a few years and eventually ended up using it in my server as the main drive. Tried every trick in the book to bring it back since it had needed files and data. I was FURIOUS when I had found out about the failure rate because when I got it people had nothing but good things to say about it. I eventually took it to a field and emptied about 8 rounds of 9mm through it. Probably could have gotten the data off of it if I had sent it out somewhere, but really didn't want to spend tons of money on data I could have recreated with a few days of work.

4 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

I had a 4GB usb stick that I used to use for school and one time it stopped working after being in my bag for some period of time. I washed my bag and forgot the USB stick was in there. Tested the USB stick again (after being in the washing machine accidentally) and it worked again miraculously xD

I've done that before on numerous occasions. I'd constantly leave them in my pocket after getting home from school or work. Eventually they would stop working. Good thing I never stored anything important on them.

Walking over

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Walking over

What

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

What

Parents and teachers will be like "Its broken" and Ill walk over and it works fine

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Oh lol, that's happened to me before.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

9 hours ago, nismoklutchkicker said:

I've done that before on numerous occasions. I'd constantly leave them in my pocket after getting home from school or work. Eventually they would stop working. Good thing I never stored anything important on them.

Yeah I was the same way haha xD It was only school work that was backed up on the school network anyway

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Not exactly a fix as it never worked reliability but I had a dell OptiPlex with a P4 which would only react to the power button after having the cmos reset jumper in the reset position for at least 12 hours.

Needless to say it was scrapped a week later.