Cracklingice

AOL Desktop Software to end free access plan

Posted · Original PosterOP

I couldn't find a news site that has done a story on this so I spent the last hour researching and wrote my own.

Most of us probably have an older relative that still uses the AOL Desktop Software.  Unfortunately for them (and possibly us as well if you're the one they call when they have a problem) as of April 10th, 2017 the AOL Desktop Software will be seeing a transformation to a monthly subscription based service.  A new version of the software, AOL Desktop Gold, will replace all previous versions of the software and all previous versions will no longer function.  This new service will cost $3.99 per month.  AOL Desktop Gold will be included with their current safety and security bundles that include software such as McAffe and AOL One Point password manager.

While AOL Desktop Gold will introduce new features to the AOL Desktop client, it will retain the design and features of the previous client.  The new features are set to include two step authentication, encryption of personal information stored in AOL Desktop software, server side storage of favorites as well as contacts and automatic updating of the software.  The software is said to be 'optimized for the speed of broadband internet'.  As this is a paid service it will include support related to the AOL service.  The service fee appears to cover all users under the account, but the primary user on the account will need to forward the email containing the download like to other users on the account that wish to use the software.  The new version of the AOL Desktop client supports Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 and will require at least 1024x768 desktop resolution, 266mhz or higher CPU, 1GB of ram and 512MB of hard disk space as well as an internet connection.

I am unsure if the AOL Desktop 11 Beta is the AOL Desktop Gold client or if they will be releasing the software sometime after the launch of the paid service (if so hopefully prior to the end of Golds 30 day free trial).  I had specifically mentioned the Beta software in my email request for information but unfortunately they did not include anything about it in the reply.  The Beta 11 version sports the same system requirements as the 'Gold' desktop client so it is possible it is the same client.  The Beta version 11 of the client currently does not support dial up internet connections.  It could be that they want to limit the beta access to bring your own access (likely broadband) customers or it could be that they will be releasing an AOL dialer software that will handle the connection separately from the Desktop application.  They may also have already closed the beta testing of the dialer or will be testing it prior to the April launch.  It is also possible that they may be closing their dial up service, but I have found no indication of this on their website other than the beta software not currently supporting it.

https://productcentral.aol.com/products/aol-desktop-gold

https://help.aol.com/articles/aol-desktop-gold-faqs

I was unable to determine if the Gold version was a paid upgrade from a standard version or if it would be the only version of the software available so I contacted AOL support.  This is what I received. 

iLYbzyp.jpg

It is interesting to see AOL return to a pay model for their Desktop Software after having a free version without customer support for bring your own access customers.  I am unsure if the new desktop client will continue to see the advertisements they added in to support offering the free version.  It's possible that the ads simply were not effective enough or reaching enough people to continue to be profitable.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

A better question is: why is anyone still using AOL software?

PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 6500 | GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC | MoBo: ASUS B150 plus | RAM: 8GB Ballistix 2400 | Case: Define R4 | PSU: EVGA 650GQ | SSD: ADATA SP550 120GB |

HDD: 1TB WD blue | OS: Windows 10 Pro 

Dad's PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400 | MoBo: Asrock H110 | Ram: 4GB Ballistix 2400 | SSD: ADATA Su800 128GB | PSU: Delta 400w | Case: Dell Vostro 460| OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

Spoiler

A really crappy Dell dimension D630 rocking a core 2 duo. Upgrading to a sandy bridge Thinkpad soon!

Accessories:

Spoiler

Keyboard: Magicforce 68 | Mouse: Mionix NAOS 7000 | Monitor: ACER R240HY | Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Headphones: SuperLux HD668B | AMP/DAC: FiiO E07k      Phone: LG v20 

I legit thought AOL died long ago.

Reptar β  | Where Do You Land on 16personalities? | Your Experience with Autism?

Ohh, boo hoo. Lemme play a sad song for you on the world's smallest violin.

rip in ass fx-4100, you will not be missed

"Now, there's two ways to play this game: there's the right way to do it, which is to use strategy and actually let the numbers a-are against the block, and you can see how many mines there are, or there's our way of doing it where you just click it and hope that you don't hit a mine."

@Dan Castellaneta x @wcreek \\ Jake x Brendan :^)

didnt aol die 10 years ago ?

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

27 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

A better question is: why is anyone still using AOL software?

OP just go ahead and mark this ^

as correct answer

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

I know someone still using aol 9.0 and i just shake my head everytime i see her log in

Rig 1 - Windows 10 Edu | Asus Sabertooth TUF x99 | i7 6800k @ 4.4ghz | 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200mhz | Gigabyte g1 Gaming GTX 980ti 6gb | Samsung Evo 960 500gb + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | 2x Dell u2713hm + LG 34uc87c | Surface Pro 4

Rig 2 - Windows 10 Edu | Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H | i7 3770k @ 4.7ghz | 4x 8gb Corsair XMS | Samsung 840 Pro 256gb + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair HX650 | Dell S2415H

I don't understand.
Who is still using AOL.
What is the market here exactly lmao why would anyone pay for this.
Pls lads; if you or your family member is still using AOL services in any capacity, recommend them modern alternatives.
It's not 2002, the world's a much better place now; we have the technology

I wrestle bears in sewers while high on cocaine.

Let's be friends.

Suckers! Everyone told me I was dumb for saving these, but look at me now! 0002a2fe475d4ffe00ad96789fe86669.jpg

dc10_12.jpg

120866345IVflSI_ph.jpegaol-cd.jpgImage result for aol discsAmerica_Online_6.0_Exclusive_Free_Trial_PA401R15_AOL_2000

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

16 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Suckers! Everyone told me I was dumb for saving these, but look at me now!

0002a2fe475d4ffe00ad96789fe86669.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

dc10_12.jpg

120866345IVflSI_ph.jpegaol-cd.jpgImage result for aol discsAmerica_Online_6.0_Exclusive_Free_Trial_PA401R15_AOL_2000

When you realize the old AOL logo was an abstract Illuminati sign 

i7 4770K 4.5GHz / 16GB gskill ripjaws / Gigabyte Z87X UD4H / Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 / Dell SG2716DG / Ducky Shine 3 / Logitech G700 / Sennheiser HD 558

i5 2500K stock   /   8GB gskill sniper  /  EVGA P67 SLI Micro  /  EVGA GTX 660

10 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Suckers! Everyone told me I was dumb for saving these, but look at me now! 

I used to save them for a while but decided to ditch them as they were just taking up space.  I kept one of the tins and that was about it.  Although I never had one of the floppies I don't think.

>paying for aids

PRISIMHEART

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Taichi X370 || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 6c/12t 1600 || AIO: Fractal Celsius S24 || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB || HDD: x2 WD Blue 1TB

PERIPHERALS

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Oh no! Those elderly people everywhere! 

Tbh there's probably a good reason no news agency has covered it. No one cares. 

Well that and they only started sending out emails to primary screen names about the upcoming change yesterday.  When I did the write up it was less than 6 hours after first finding out about it from my father.  I was actually quite pleased with how quickly AOL replied to my request for more information, even if it was probably just a one click response template.

This is the entire email being sent out to the primary screen name on AOL accounts (possibly just the ones that log into the desktop software AND are on the free bring your own access plan).

25 minutes ago, Nup said:

Wait are they just being slimy and tricking all the old/unaware people into paying for this without knowing?

Spoiler

tDcsy8i.jpg

iFKc2Uq.jpg

^email images in this spoiler because they're very tall.^

My grandmother uses AOL still. She owns a successful business as well... 

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

My grandmother uses AOL still. She owns a successful business as well... 

Heck I still use my AOL email as my primary address.  I just don't use the software.  I get my email thru my phone 95% of the time and the other 5% of the time it's emails I want to open on the computer and I use mail.aol.com

13 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Its for old people who are stuck in the past with dialup

Someone needs to remix that into a song somehow.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

14 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I legit thought AOL died long ago.

Believe it or not, they still exist. They're just not as big as they used to be. The dot-com bubble burst in 2000 really fucked them up.

Now listen closely!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB DDR3, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB DDR4, Windows 10 Pro x64
More detailed specs on my profile.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rawr9 Furry Sex

Despite reading the entire OP, I had no idea what "AOL Desktop Software" actually did until I went to the AOL website and it dawned on me that it's software used for connecting to the Internet(?). I thought the whole "use this software to access the internet instead of just letting Windows manage the damn thing" died out along with 56K internet.

Intel Core i5-4690S | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI Z97-G45 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING ACX 3.0 | Fractal Design Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Dell S24176DG + Asus MX259H  | Ducky Shine 5 with Cherry MX Browns

31 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Someone needs to remix that into a song somehow.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

15 hours ago, Cracklingice said:

They're actually still hanging in there by something.  Even offer dial up access.
http://get.aol.com/plans/dial-up-internet.php

They know their customers:

Save money, explore new opportunities, volunteer, and much more with AARP (available to 50+ age group).

from the page you linked ;) 

Main Rig

CPU: 6700K (stock speeds)

GPU: ASUS 1070 Turbo blower style card

HDD: 3TB toshiba and 500GB WD Red

SSD: Samsung 128GB

RAM: 32 GB SODIMM DDR4 Balistix Sport 2400

Triple 1080P monitor setup

Aegis Barebones Motherboard, case, PSU.

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold