AOL Desktop Software to end free access plan

On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 6:31 AM, bob51zhang said:

Question 1: Who uses AOL?

Question 2: Why would anyone want to subscribe for Bloatware Antivirus

Old people because they don't know any better?

Look at the absurdities you can sometimes see on this forum from people interested techs. Imagine how it can be with regular people and for change averse elderlies

On 12.3.2017 at 6:27 AM, djdwosk97 said:

Suckers! Everyone told me I was dumb for saving these, but look at me now! 0002a2fe475d4ffe00ad96789fe86669.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

dc10_12.jpg

120866345IVflSI_ph.jpegaol-cd.jpgImage result for aol discsAmerica_Online_6.0_Exclusive_Free_Trial_PA401R15_AOL_2000

That belongs in a museum.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

Maybe this will finally force my parents to stop using AOL. They have been using the desktop version for years and I tried everything to get them to stop using it. I can understand why they like it though as its news/chat/email/browser all in once easy to get location, but its been time for it to go away.

*yeah grandma*

*my aol desktop isn't working, can't login in. Says I need to pay. I think I have a virus.*

*no, it's just aol is now a subscription model. They charge $3.99 per month.*

*I don't want to pay and it was free before. Come fix it.*

* -_- *

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

19 hours ago, Daring said:

The dot-com bubble burst in 2000 really fucked them up.

Actually, the bubble bursting had little at all to do with them being fucked up.  It was a few other things that did it, none of which had anything to do with high-flying, valueless stocks that were suddenly reset.  It had more to do with business decisions that should or should not have been made.

Been there, done that, was an employee for their massive data centers for a very long time.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

*yeah grandma*

*my aol desktop isn't working, can't login in. Says I need to pay. I think I have a virus.*

*no, it's just aol is now a subscription model. They charge $3.99 per month.*

*I don't want to pay and it was free before. Come fix it.*

* -_- *

Exactly why I wrote the article for the news section.  A heads up to anyone with a relative still using it that they may have work to do.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

1 hour ago, jasonvp said:

Actually, the bubble bursting had little at all to do with them being fucked up.  It was a few other things that did it, none of which had anything to do with high-flying, valueless stocks that were suddenly reset.  It had more to do with business decisions that should or should not have been made.

Been there, done that, was an employee for their massive data centers for a very long time.

Atleast they paid you right? Last i heard of AOL before this article was that they got sued by their community leaders on the net.

4 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Atleast they paid you right? Last i heard of AOL before this article was that they got sued by their community leaders on the net.

Though not germane to the thread, yes, they paid me.  I haven't been an employee there since 2007 or so.  But my compensation while employed was quite healthy.  I'll likely never want for anything again.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

On 3/12/2017 at 2:37 PM, Trik'Stari said:

Someone needs to remix that into a song somehow.

I'd call it... Baudstep!

I still remember the old days of dial up...

*Tries like 10 times and it finally connects. Yay!*

*Downloads a 50MB game file, ETA: 3 hours*

*3+ hours later...still downloading*

*4+ hours later...download status 97% complete*

*click, 56K disconnects*

*download failed*

*no resume*

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Can't forget about download accelerator programs like DAP.  With the irony being that they'd probably be more effective now but the speed is typically fast enough without one.

What happens if one day AOL does in fact die, what happens to all the accounts online (including this forum)I've logged into? I want to change from AOL to Gmail but there is so much stuff I've got with my AOL account!

Yeah I was thinking about the logistical nightmare of having to change all of my logins from one email provider to another.  It certainly wouldn't be fun.

I still have my aol account...along with others...I just got an email stating that I received the aol email about account change in error and my free software will still be available...not sure what this means and if it will hold...

2 minutes ago, mjb1017 said:

I still have my aol account...along with others...I just got an email stating that I received the aol email about account change in error and my free software will still be available...not sure what this means and if it will hold...

Do you pay for any AOL services?  Software access is included with many if not all of their current paid services.

No...a free account for years...here is the email...

AOL
Dear mjb1017,

On Tuesday morning, March 14, we accidently sent an email regarding our new AOL Desktop Gold software that was not intended for you. We want to assure you that your current AOL Desktop software will not be discontinued at this time and you can continue using it as you do today. We sincerely apologize for this mistake and want to make sure you know that you will continue to have access to your AOL Desktop Software without interruption or charge.

Sincerely,
AOL Customer Support

Yes I am in my 60's and take grief and get laughed at  from my kids but along with my other accounts this works for me...I am familiar with the software and it just easy to use....most of my other emails are forwarded here on this account on my laptops, tablet and phone...

Dear ulyssesdes,

On Tuesday morning, March 14, we accidently sent an email regarding our new AOL Desktop Gold software that was not intended for you. We want to assure you that your current AOL Desktop software will not be discontinued at this time and you can continue using it as you do today. We sincerely apologize for this mistake and want to make sure you know that you will continue to have access to your AOL Desktop Software without interruption or charge.

Sincerely,
AOL Customer Support

I wonder if they still intend to discontinue the older versions as planned since they only state 'at this time' in the second wave of emails.

Ok so I can confirm that my fathers account did NOT receive one of those retraction emails.  The date is also incorrect as the email my father received was sent on or prior to March 11. 

I can confirm that April 10th will still see discontinuance of previous versions and requirement of a subscription fee to use the software.  Free access to email and such will still be available through a third party browser such as Google Chrome.

This popup came up when my father logged in to his client this afternoon.

HbshlmP.png

• 2 months later...

Actually AOL MAIL is back and bigger than ever. VERIZON, new parent company, announced March 30, 2017 they are closing down their old E-Mail account system and switching all their 145 million customers to AOL MAIL accounts.   Making AOL MAIL once again a major player.  So it isn't the 90s anymore at AOL, 21ST century has arrived!

17 minutes ago, Jamine4u said:

Actually AOL MAIL is back and bigger than ever. VERIZON, new parent company, announced March 30, 2017 they are closing down their old E-Mail account system and switching all their 145 million customers to AOL MAIL accounts.   Making AOL MAIL once again a major player.  So it isn't the 90s anymore at AOL, 21ST century has arrived!

Why'd you revive an old thread to shill for AOL?

The amount of people out there that still pay for AOL and log in through AOL even though they are now using a cable/DSL/etc. provider is probably devastatingly high.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

On 3/14/2017 at 7:58 AM, NumLock21 said:

*no resume*

Sadly, resuming a failed download is usually unsuccessful even with modern browsers...

I can't believe at this day and age I still have to use a download manager (DownThemAll for Firefox is pretty convenient though)