Disagree button

Kryptyx

Can we get a "disagree" option in the reputation? There are a lot of times people give really bad advice and it would be nice if we could mark it with something like "disagree" so that it is made clear the advice may be less than ideal. I understand there may be a negative side to this but I think it would be far more beneficial to those who actually need good advice.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

No.

If you disagree with a suggestion, you should quote it and explain why it's not the best suggestion for the OP. Simply adding a dislike button would result in contentious threads such as "which graphics card should I buy" turning into a dislike war, and the OP wouldn't be able to see why you think it's a bad idea, so they can't then weigh up the two people's opinions and decide which option is best for them.

HTTP/2 203

God no. I would hate to see this forum twist into a reddit copy.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

No.

If you disagree with a suggestion, you should quote it and explain why it's not the best suggestion for the OP. Simply adding a dislike button would result in contentious threads such as "which graphics card should I buy" turning into a dislike war, and the OP wouldn't be able to see why you think it's a bad idea, so they can't then weigh up the two people's opinions and decide which option is best for them.

Not really, you can still quote someone and mark the reputation with disagree. It would help give the community a better idea of who is helpful and who isn't. If you look at someone's profile, you have no idea how many times they may have given bad advice over good advice. I already see people mark bad posts as "funny" but I feel that is more troll-like than a disagree button.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    

i disagree with your suggestion 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'm fairly sure the new forum thing already explained why there is no dislike button.

And frankly, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Quoting the post and explaining what is wrong is the right way to criticise. Just clicking a button saying 'Dislike' communicates nothing.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I don't think you've been here for very long, people that give shit advice tend to just copy paste what others say, or just flat out make things up and think that they're right no matter what you say. It's just another way for people that get angry over an argument or the like, and dislike your posts.

A lot of people here are lazy and would just dislike the post instead of bothering to explain why their post was bad.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Unless the disagree button only appears when you quote that person you disagree with. It ain't going to happen.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, daniellearmouth said:

I'm fairly sure the new forum thing already explained why there is no dislike button.

And frankly, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Quoting the post and explaining what is wrong is the right way to criticise. Just clicking a button saying 'Dislike' communicates nothing.

I understand that, I guess I just figured you could do both. Even better, clicking disagree could prompt you to reply to the post and give a reason why. I just dislike living in a bubble where we assume everything is positive. This isn't FB...

Just now, Kryptyx said:

Not really, you can still quote someone and mark the reputation with disagree. It would help give the community a better idea of who is helpful and who isn't. If you look at someone's profile, you have no idea how many times they may have given bad advice over good advice. I already see people mark bad posts as "funny" but I feel that is more troll-like than a disagree button.

You can still quote them, yes. But most people wouldn't, and it would still turn into a dislike war in a lot of cases.

Judging someone based on whether other people have clicked an "agree" or a "disagree" button on their posts wouldn't be a very good way of judging whether someone's advice is reliable - there are a lot of people with strong opinions on this site, and on the rest of the internet, so they would "agree" with posts that match their opinions, and "disagree" with those that don't, whether it is actually good advice or not.

It has been discussed publicly and internally before, and the decision every time has been that we will not add any form of negative reputation.

HTTP/2 203

6 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

You can still quote them, yes. But most people wouldn't, and it would still turn into a dislike war in a lot of cases.

Judging someone based on whether other people have clicked an "agree" or a "disagree" button on their posts wouldn't be a very good way of judging whether someone's advice is reliable - there are a lot of people with strong opinions on this site, and on the rest of the internet, so they would "agree" with posts that match their opinions, and "disagree" with those that don't, whether it is actually good advice or not.

It has been discussed publicly and internally before, and the decision every time has been that we will not add any form of negative reputation.

Fair enough. I still think forcing a reply when clicking on disagree would be the best solution. As I said, I understand there is a negative side to it. I also understand that most people are lazy and would take the easiest route possible. I just hate seeing all these moronic posts suggesting the same bad advice over and over again. Especially from the new users or fanboys. There is no way to separate them from quality posters. Perhaps, you can do the opposite and allow people to become "respected advisers" or something? This would let them stand out from the rest.

20 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

it would be nice if we could mark it with something like "disagree" so that it is made clear the advice may be less than ideal.

I disagree.

Besides, sometimes things are not as clear cut as right or wrong. How could you tell what amount of "disagrees" on a profile were related to bad advice and how many to people simply disagreeing with his opinion?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

allow people to become "respected advisers"

this would give an illusion to people that that person's opinion is greater than others
its best to leave things as it is, and voice out if u find an advice (or statement or w/e) that you disagree with

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

32 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Perhaps, you can do the opposite and allow people to become "respected advisers" or something? This would let them stand out from the rest.

There was a thing for that. But its really hard to say if someone has more knowledge on certain area than others. So in the end only mods had that title. Like @Ghost and @GoodBytes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

33 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

There was a thing for that. But its really hard to say if someone has more knowledge on certain area than others. So in the end only mods had that title. Like @Ghost and @GoodBytes.

*cough* *raises hand*

I had it aswell(it was abolished not long before i became a mod).

I also saw other people in their respective sections that had it

without being mods.

According to the a post i saw, think it was by windpseed. It was

removed in relation to the new rep system that was implemented

with ltt 2.0

39 minutes ago, tobben said:

*cough* *raises hand*

I had it aswell(it was abolished not long before i became a mod).

I also saw other people in their respective sections that had it

without being mods.

Well you must have frequent on subforums where I don't :D Ghost and GB are only ones I knew to have it prior to becoming mods.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

'disagree' buttons tend to get abused, so that's why i'd rather not have one exist.

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

20 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Well you must have frequent on subforums where I don't :D Ghost and GB are only ones I knew to have it prior to becoming mods.

Aha, i see. You used them as examples of people who had it prior 

to becoming mods, i didn't quite catch that. 

I think W-I might have had it aswell? But don't quote me on that, 

my memory is a complete mess when it comes to him apparently..
There was Imakuni in the folding section. Think there was an old

one in the audio section. 

I'm sure there were others, but admittedly i can't bring up any

names :D