Neural map of worm brain uploaded to robot

Somehow they've managed to map a worm's brain and upload it into a robot that now behaves like a worm. A bit creepy, but this is a pretty big step for AI.

Quote: "Take the connectome of a worm and transplant it as software in a Lego Mindstorms EV3 robot - what happens next?

It is a deep and long standing philosophical question. Are we just the sum of our neural networks. Of course, if you work in AI you take the answer mostly for granted, but until someone builds a human brain and switches it on we really don't have a concrete example of the principle in action."

Source: http://www.i-programmer.info/news/105-artificial-intelligence/7985-a-worms-mind-in-a-lego-body.html

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Transcendence anyone?

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

But humans have souls. Something man simply cannot create.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I don't think people give enough thought to the whole Artificial Intelligence subject. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Just wait until they do this to a human.

Or another animal. The PETA hate will be real.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The more I read the more I believe Elon musk about his 5 year timeline.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

That is pre-supposed, but what if that hypothesis is wrong?

Brain doctors can elaborate on this more but the last I heard, some years ago, that during surgery they can poke the brain and cause body parts to move. But when try ask the patent to not move their body part and the doc repokes the brain, the body part does not move.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Wow, this is super cool.  Possibilities of AI aside, this is a big step in the process of understanding how the brain works and could potentially lead to some more neuroscience breakthroughs. 

I want to know who is gonna win/survive? Genetics modified super-human or A.I. cyborg?

Brain doctors can elaborate on this more but the last I heard, some years ago, that during surgery they can poke the brain and cause body parts to move. But when try ask the patent to not move their body part and the doc repokes the brain, the body part does not move.

I find that very hard to believe, that study must've been flawed.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

How the hell does that work? Do worm brains come in easily programmable C++?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

A reason I think it'd be implausible to do something similar with the human brain.  There are an immense number of variables in the human body that affect how a human thinks and functions.  We are many, many years off from being able to recreate something that complex.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

It may be a language barrier issue, but I don't understand your explanation.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

How the hell does that work? Do worm brains come in easily programmable C++?

Crack open an AI textbook and keep reading through until neural networks. That's when it gets juicy.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

A reason I think it'd be implausible to do something similar with the human brain. There are an immense number of variables in the human body that affect how a human thinks and functions. We are many, many years off from being able to recreate something that complex.

Not really. Between Nvidia and IBM you can set up a distributed computing system with enough cores and programmable neurons to full simulate a human brain. It'll be a multi-billion dollar investment, but it can be done with current tech and programming.

Or do we have souls.? The definition of a soul, is intangible (pun not intended). What makes a soul? Do other beings have souls, like cats, dogs, wolves, and other animals?

Biologists will tell you that any living organism is basically biological clockwork, and that different organs work together to do different things, this holds true even down to the subcellular level. Do our mitochondria have souls? Do they decide when to produce ATP based off what their feeling are? Such a thing seems silly to ask, but if applies to the whole of the system (a human), why not the sub-systems (cellular and molecular level)?

As you can see, this question is hard to answer, and in a way is a sort of paradox. 

If you define a 'soul' as an emotional and metaphysical object, then I guess you might be able to get away with the argument you made, but we feel and comprehend emotions based on our ability to interpret information, the same goes for our metaphysical principle of 'the self'. We are shape, adapt, learn, and express emotions due to our experiences. In the end, our brains are nothing more than a series of neurons, sending electrical pulses to one another, interpreting information.

PS: I'm not arguing with your statement, I'm just looking at it in a different light. Sometime taking a different angle, can help everyones understanding of the subject.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

inb4 we are all dead

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Wow, i hoped that was satire. Then i saw Texas beneath his avatar and it all made sense (not wanting to generalize everyone in there, but hey)...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

inb4 we are all dead

Can you imagine an invasion of robot worms that can pierce through anything like it was dirt?

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Can you imagine an invasion of robot worms that can pierce through anything like it was dirt?

I can and did

I was imagining driller from transformers

Transformers+3+2.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii