Custom RTX 3080 graphics cards are crashing games en masse

Delicieuxz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Users Report Crashes & Black Screens During Gaming

GeForce RTX 3080 sees increasing reports of crashes in games

An increasing number of users are reporting the crash to desktop (CTD) issues with factory-overclocked NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphics cards. The issues were reported on various forums and social media platforms.

This now clearly widespread, but still unexplored issue appears in a certain group of games when the boost clock exceeds 2.0 GHz. As soon as the clock speeds reach a certain level, the game crashes to desktop.

There is currently no official statement from any board partner, but ComputerBase have confirmed that they are in contact with the manufacturers. They were unable to reproduce this issue with at least three of the custom models they have.

It is currently unclear what is causing this problem. Whether this is a power supply issue, software bug, or maybe even too aggressive factory-overclocking from custom board partners, it is yet to be confirmed.

As the second article mentions, the matter is being discussed on LTT, OverClockers, and Computer Base, as well as reddit and other forums.

We already knew from benchmarks that the 3080 cards don't really come with notable extra headroom for overclocking on air. But it seems that even the factory clocks being given on some models are too much for what the cards can actually handle.

I think this isn't good for the card manufacturers, as it could result in a lot of returns if the cards can't handle their advertised specs. And if Nvidia are selling their GPUs to AIBs with their potential already completely maxed, then that doesn't leave AIBs much to work with to offer different tier models.

Could this be fixed with a firmware or driver update? I'm skeptical - unless the update actually downclocks the cards sufficiently so that they won't crash. But I hope another solution can be found. And I wonder if AIBs will revise the production template of their RTX 3080 models to solve this issue for cards yet to be produced.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Ah, yes.

The early adopter tax. It always shows up somewhere.

Time will tell what happens here, how wide spread it becomes (my instinct tells me that some percentage of these reports are buyer's remorse). My guess is it'll be something similar to how the memory issues that the 20-series had was handled; RMA's a-plenty.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Well that's not good...

Hopefully it's just a driver bug, which sounds pretty likely if it's limited to a certain group of games.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Uwa.... Imagine buying a brand new GPU, beating the botting scalpers at that, and getting such issues.

That early adoption tax sure is hitting them hard this time around.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Uwa.... Imagine buying a brand new GPU, beating the botting scalpers at that, and getting such issues.

That early adoption tax sure is hitting them hard this time around.

And, the thing is, this issue doesn't affect scalpers and miners. It affects the people who legitimately bought cards to use in their gaming rigs. They're not people who should be resented for their purchases or facing obstacles to using what they purchased.

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

This happened with the 2080ti Launch as well :) 

What was the solution as seen from AIB partners?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

And, the thing is, this issue doesn't affect scalpers and miners. It affects the people who legitimately bought cards to use in their gaming rigs. They're not people who should be resented for their purchases or facing obstacles to using what they purchased.

What was the solution as seen from AIB partners?

It just took a few Drivers from Nvidia to fix it, some Actually lowered the Clocks on the next batch of cards. 

49 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

thank you beta testers

Life lessons 101: don't be a beta tester IRL.

Spoiler

And that goes for government-mandated chemical injections.

Le sigh.  Everyone gives crap to AMD for bad drivers but Nvidia’s problems have been just as large.  They’ve got more money and people so they tend to fix them a bit faster but they generally aren’t any smaller.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Mind you, a patch for world of tanks a few months ago caused my 2080 Ti to CTD when it hits 2Ghz. No issues with every other game.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Could this be fixed with a firmware or driver update? I'm skeptical - unless the update actually downclocks the cards sufficiently so that they won't crash. But I hope another solution can be found. And I wonder if AIBs will revise the production template of their RTX 3080 models to solve this issue for cards yet to be produced.

*chuckle*

This is what happens, ever, single time, a new GPU comes out, or a new game that eats GPU's for breakfast comes out. The OC cards fail, die (or catch fire.)  Even some previous generation cards decide to fail when changes in the API happen to support newer cards.

Honestly, do-not-buy factory OC'd cards unless you're prepared to deal with stuff like this. My best guess is that some of these cards will get nerfed back down to the non-OC values, or ship with rivatuner-like tools to detect certain games that will kill the card and clock it down in advance.

2 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

lmao true

I'm not gonna let either off the hook

Nvidia messed up last gen, I can overlook it, since there's no major issue before

now it's the 2nd time, in a row 🤔 fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice in a row, shame's on me

though this is AIB cards ain't it? so I'm not sure who to point the gun at atm.

Will know when the reason is uncovered.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

17 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

though this is AIB cards ain't it? so I'm not sure who to point the gun at atm.

Will know when the reason is uncovered.

Radeon Technology Group activated their sleeper agent who worked in these AIB manufacturer and sabotaged their cards.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

When nvidia has a driver problem, usually it is well defined and clearly fixed in time.

While not on this specific topic, I've also seen elsewhere that there are problems with the 3080 and using it with an LG OLED TV, which I think is a use case many of us here were looking to get one for. I've heard of two problems, one is that G-sync isn't working properly, and the other is a compressed signal at some high end display setting. Both I believe were targeted to be fixed by a TV firmware update so it isn't directly nvidia's problem, but still impacting customers of both.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

jyf8x0ug00p51.png.ae6bca345c2b7c07e5ea45f4aaa87bb0.png

I was humping NVIDIA for quite a long time about drivers tearing Youtube video like insane on GTX 980 and got fixed and then I bought GTX 1080Ti and was tearing again like crazy on Youtube. And I was like, guys, you literally fixed this thing already and now it's back on the new series. Like, WTF.

Also people whining over AMD drivers... Granted, I don't have experience with them past HD7000 series, but up till then, they behaved the same as NVIDIA drivers. And relative has RX 580 and it's also working fine in games he's playing.

From what I've been reading all you need to do is install the studio drivers instead of the game ready one...

Conventional wisdom: Logic of the ignorant...
Assumption: Conventional wisdom of the arrogant...
AMD: r9 290x 4gig

AMD: FX-8350 Blk 8 core

GIGABYTE: GA-990 FXA-UD3 R5

KINGSTON: 1600 2x8/2x4 24 gb dual ch

THERMALTAKE: 750 W modular 

He definitely nailed it here when he predicted that a lot of people with Ampere would experience crashes due to a struggling power supply and/or power delivery, and think the card was defective. Nvidia got what they paid for. Drivers won't fix this, only a firmware update to decrease the boost frequency curve.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

This does seem to be a driver issue. Honestly though I wouldn't expect the drivers to be perfect day one, but this should be fixed (or at least an official comment) this week or next at the latest. I think the dev/studio drivers don't have this issue ffrom what I've read

I'd still be happy buying a 3080 with this issue considering studio drivers seem to fix it

Don't get me wrong though I would hate for this to happen during say a 6 hour MSFS flight or something like that (my RX580 has crashed on my while gaming before, not a fun experience)

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

14 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Hopefully it's just a driver bug, which sounds pretty likely if it's limited to a certain group of games.

Maybe, my personal theory is that they clocked the reference cards too high and they didn't leave enough headroom for lower quality batches or for AIB partners trying to go higher. According to videocardz the problem seems to manifest when stepping over the 2GHz mark. We'll see how this goes but I wouldn't be surprised if the solution was just a blanket nerf to all cards through a driver update.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Maybe, my personal theory is that they clocked the reference cards too high and they didn't leave enough headroom for lower quality batches or for AIB partners trying to go higher. According to videocardz the problem seems to manifest when stepping over the 2GHz mark. We'll see how this goes but I wouldn't be surprised if the solution was just a blanket nerf to all cards through a driver update.

or a firmware update more likely. Luckily there's not a lot of Ampere cards in the wild yet, and GPU firmware updates are as simple as running a small exe file.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

or a firmware update more likely. Luckily there's not a lot of Ampere cards in the wild yet, and GPU firmware updates are as simple as running a small exe file.

Sure, but there's always the small chance of it bricking the card if something happens while you're updating.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Didn't the RTX 20 series have the same problem when it first launched. This is why it's always better to wait for the 2nd batch.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list