Thunderbolt 4. TB3 but now +1.

GoodBytes

Thunderbolt 4 is being announced by Intel, which is the same as TB3, but different... but really the same...

What's new? Nothing!

What's improved? Nothing!

Bug fixes? Intel claim to have fixed the DMA issue of TB3. But no details revealed yet. That's it

Certified USB 4, TB4 is the same as TB3. Same everything. That said, Intel did update its requirements to fit with USB 4 specs and reduce the clustered mess that USB Type-C is becoming (example: may or may not have TB, TB speed varies, Display Port version varies, power intake may or may not be supported or only on select ports, power output delivery varies and may be on select ports on the same device.. etc.)

Engadget reports:

Intel’s new Thunderbolt 4 connection isn't technically faster than Thunderbolt 3, at least when it comes to overall throughput. (They both offer up to 40 gigabit per second speeds.) But the company is justifying the new version number other ways: Namely, by cranking up the minimum requirements for systems with the new connection.

Sources

https://www.engadget.com/intel-thunderbolt-4-details-130016474.html

Having the minimum specs boosted to something more realistic in what a user expects, and being integrated in USB 4, really would help reduce some of the mess we have, and help consumers who have the money and price justification for eGPUs, doesn't have to wonder if they'll be screwed with too low specs to actually enjoy this feature.

A serious shame that there is no speed increase, making eGPU with powerful graphics less relevant. Already, we reached capacity, especially if you return the image back to the laptop display, with med high range cards.

I think that the TB3 rebranding as TB4 is really more Intel turning the page from TB3 security issue more than anything. To me, seeing nothing was done, indicates that the connector has been marked for death already internally at Intel, as clearly no improvement was made. The security fix is more for image fixing especially after the near monthly CPU security issues.

What do you think? Am I wrong? 

Me thinking I'm dreaming: Did Goodbytes Seriously create a post not about Windows?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c3f95a1b37014ce40151bf0fa7e92d42.png

image.thumb.png.8e54f53bdd5c859cf126dcc65ccc8319.png

image.thumb.png.7eb3fc8bed2541a4d6ed768f6ef0f8f2.png

image.thumb.png.d3d0272af89785ed237f9ffe163734d1.pngimage.thumb.png.8be3c054fcb85b7d3232ee78f7c9464c.png

Jokes aside, How many people really used thunderbolt anyways as a standalone connector? On paper it's great but looking from a casual consumer perspective its implementation into devices people use has been limited. with that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if it was fused with USB4 and the TB4 standard faded into the distance like my 4790K is starting to. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

why would you increase minimum specs? that'll just lead to more incompatibility. what is the actual point? 

like if i have a thunderbolt 4 drive enclosure and my workstation dies, wouldn't it be best that my low end laptop has thunderbolt 4 so i can at least get some critical data off of it, maybe pictures from a client, who knows, so i can at least keep working until i can fix the workstation? 

now yes it would be ideal to have a high end backup machine for this, but many people can't afford that. 

She/Her

I find this to more be a refinement and TB4 requires a lot of optional features of TB3.

Intel%20Thunderbolt%204%20Announcement%20Press%20Deck_070720-page-013.jpg

It looks like USB4, TB4 and DP2 all are going to be compatible USB Type C standards at once, it should make things simpler on a product. If A tpye C port has the USB 4 logo its USB only, If its TB4 is the best, and its DP its display only.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

So it’s more like Thunderbolt 3.1

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Me thinking I'm dreaming: Did Goodbytes Seriously create a post not about Windows?

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.c3f95a1b37014ce40151bf0fa7e92d42.png

image.thumb.png.8e54f53bdd5c859cf126dcc65ccc8319.png

image.thumb.png.7eb3fc8bed2541a4d6ed768f6ef0f8f2.png

image.thumb.png.d3d0272af89785ed237f9ffe163734d1.pngimage.thumb.png.8be3c054fcb85b7d3232ee78f7c9464c.png

Jokes aside, How many people really used thunderbolt anyways as a standalone connector? On paper it's great but looking from a casual consumer perspective its implementation into devices people use has been limited. with that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if it was fused with USB4 and the TB4 standard faded into the distance like my 4790K is starting to. 

People are confused by which USB-C port is the charging port on laptops (all of them are on Dell's), because sometimes there is a lighting icon (which means it's thunderbolt) but the lighting icon has also historically indicated power (eg look at your phone when it's charging), while other laptops indicate which icon is power by having two-prong plug icon... which usb-c is not.

GUID-8C5872CF-DB2B-45F4-959B-A5ADC89516A

See how that is confusing?

Then you have crappy docks which do not pass displayport through them, and do not power the device either. Since users don't realize this, they complain that their laptop runs hotter than normal and the battery dies while plugged in.

3 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Let it be Thunderbolt 4. We don't need another idiocy like with USB 3.1 Category 2 Type 0.1 Group 2, designations...

12 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

let's just keep it simple ok?

we don't need another usb-style naming scheme

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

8 minutes ago, Kisai said:

People are confused by which USB-C port is the charging port on laptops (all of them are on Dell's), because sometimes there is a lighting icon (which means it's thunderbolt) but the lighting icon has also historically indicated power (eg look at your phone when it's charging), while other laptops indicate which icon is power by having two-prong plug icon... which usb-c is not.

Spoiler

GUID-8C5872CF-DB2B-45F4-959B-A5ADC89516A

See how that is confusing?

Then you have crappy docks which do not pass displayport through them, and do not power the device either. Since users don't realize this, they complain that their laptop runs hotter than normal and the battery dies while plugged in.

Really? That's weird my HP laptop at work only has USB uuhhhmmm.....

*Squints at port*

*Lightning with arrow symbol*

Holy shit's it's a Thunderbolt port!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I use a TB3 dock at work extensively and when it behaves, it’s awesome. 

It’s kinda glitchy sometimes though - especially around connecting and disconnecting. 

I have little use for actual TB peripherals beyond the dock though. I wouldn’t use TB direct attach storage, and while an eGPU solution is a cool idea, it’s a very expensive solution that realistically I have no intention of investing in. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Urghhh, this is gonna confuse even more people.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Well, one thing Intel does better (in this case) is simplifying. The USB-IF already starts with the same mess they did with USB 3 and differentiate between USB4 20 and USB4 40. Thunderbolt 4: one classification, one set of minimum specs. Done. Check your devices, if it's TB4, it works. I hope more AMD boards will support this than did with TB3...

(Whoever  wants to name it TB3.1 can ... well, I don't want to get rude)

One new feature, I guess, is that hubs will be possible, like with USB (didn't know they weren't til today). Possible because of the USB4 compatibility.

Why can't Intel keep their CPU naming as simple as that... different departments I guess.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

What's new? Nothing!

What's improved? Nothing!

Bug fixes? Intel claim to have fixed the DMA issue of TB3. But no details revealed yet. That's it

thats all they seem to do.

nothings new, nor improved.

but hey, we might of fixed a bug! and if we didn't, it might even cause even more security nightmares!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

They figured TB3 is good enough. It's going to be TB3+, TB3++, etc. from now on.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I use a TB3 dock at work extensively and when it behaves, it’s awesome. 

It’s kinda glitchy sometimes though - especially around connecting and disconnecting. 

Similar experience: sometimes it's as smooth as in a promo video, others it's a 2-minute plug-unplug-plug-unplug fest.

9 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

Inb4 Thunderbolt 3.1 Gen 2x1 :P

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside