Mac pro and XDR display orders available now + unboxing

williamcll
14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

OK so them Mac Pro wheels cost $400!

Here’s another point where I can see third party manufacturers making stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

26 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Reviews are coming out now

Interesting.  That thing looks completely full.  Those video card coolers are huge.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Yep.  RAM will be a big money saver for folks.  Storage may, assuming it works properly with the Mac.  I'm not sure how the Xeon is attached; if it's a ZIF-style slot or not.  If so, adventurous modifiers could theoretically buy a lower-spec system and kick the CPU up on their own, later.  I've done that with the previous gen cheese grater Mac Pro.

The GPUs are likely not going to be third partied, though.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Interesting.  That thing looks completely full.  Those video card coolers are huge.

Bear in mind: he (and Justine, and other reviewers) is using a rig that specs out to around $26K, before the two displays.  It's a meaty box, but definitely carries a monster of a price tag.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It seems apple is selling the entire case with them wheels, not just the wheels themselves.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Yep.  RAM will be a big money saver for folks.  Storage may, assuming it works properly with the Mac.  I'm not sure how the Xeon is attached; if it's a ZIF-style slot or not.  If so, adventurous modifiers could theoretically buy a lower-spec system and kick the CPU up on their own, later.  I've done that with the previous gen cheese grater Mac Pro.

The GPUs are likely not going to be third partied, though.

What makes the GPUs hard is the new cooler design.  The cards attached to them are likely fairly standard.  IF a separate cooler compatible with the new design was created by a third party it might be able to be attached to any reference cooler much like water blocks are.

it really is a much better cooler design.

Theres still the driver issue though.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

What makes the GPUs hard is the new cooler design.

Uh... not exactly.  The GPUs are in specific slots that use 2 PCI-E x16 slots in a row.  Not two side-by-side.  And it's done that way for the increased power delivery to the card as well as the bandwidth needed for those 4 Thunderbolt-3 ports on the card.

Further, there's no power to be pulled directly from the PS to supply tertiary PCI-E power for after market GPUs.  In other words: no cables anywhere.  So the aftermarket would be forced to make those 2 x PCI-E cards.  For a tiny little market.

Don't count on it happening.  Ever.

8 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Bear in mind: he (and Justine, and other reviewers) is using a rig that specs out to around $26K, before the two displays.  It's a meaty box, but definitely carries a monster of a price tag.

Yep.  Way too high for consumers.  That case seems to take up a lot of cost.  It seems to me that the biggest innovation here is the design of the GPU coolers, though I have no idea what an “afterburner” card does.

I personally couldn’t get into a desktop Mac that cost more than about 3k ready to go.  It’s just not possible.  The problem is though that all the consumer grade stuff aren’t actually desktops.  They’re basically laptops put into AIO cases along with a monitor.  

Edited by Bombastinator
Addendum

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yep.  Way too high for consumers.  That case seems to take up a lot of cost.  It seems to me that the biggest innovation here is the design of the GPU coolers, though I have no idea what an “afterburner” card does.

You'll note the reviewers are all video editors who use Final Cut Pro almost exclusively (that's not 100% accurate, but mostly).  The Afterburner card helps with 4K and 8K footage from cameras like Reds, et al.  An editor can work with those files in real time and without first transcoding or creating proxies.  It makes the work flow much faster overall.  For the hobbyist or even professional video game YouTuber: completely useless.

And while I agree that one of the innovations is the GPU cooler, I don't agree that it's the "biggest" as you put it.  There's a lot to appreciate about this box from an innovation perspective.  The cooling is just one aspect.

Thank god it's Final week. Otherwise I would have been deep into this thread already and would probably get a few warning points issued to me and the people I would be arguing with :P 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

24 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

You'll note the reviewers are all video editors who use Final Cut Pro almost exclusively (that's not 100% accurate, but mostly).  The Afterburner card helps with 4K and 8K footage from cameras like Reds, et al.  An editor can work with those files in real time and without first transcoding or creating proxies.  It makes the work flow much faster overall.  For the hobbyist or even professional video game YouTuber: completely useless.

And while I agree that one of the innovations is the GPU cooler, I don't agree that it's the "biggest" as you put it.  There's a lot to appreciate about this box from an innovation perspective.  The cooling is just one aspect.

The aesthetics are great and the latching is cute and there are interesting conveniences.  I was concerned purely with function though.  Imho the thing could be butt ugly made of cheap plastic with giant gaps and bad finishes and crud sticking out the front.  
The cooler system means GPUs could have higher watts though and that seems like a major change to me.

Uh, guys... I think the Apple FX converter is broken. 1 NZD is a fraction less than 1 CAD.

Someone should blind order this for Linus and just get him to read out the receipt in rage mode like the RED camera video.

Make sure you pay extra for the wheels and Pro stand. 

Mac Pro.png

Thank god the shipping is free.

Edit: I really like that we've already got next gen RDNA cards coming soon for the machine.

12 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Uh, guys... I think the Apple FX converter is broken. 

1 NZD is a fraction less than 1 CAD

Mac Pro.png

Nope. Probably actual price. I doubt many could afford the monthly payments on that for their entire WAGE.

33 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Nope. Probably actual price. I doubt many could afford the monthly payments on that for their entire WAGE.

Yeah, uh... I don't know what to say other than it was sarcastic.

40 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

I doubt many could afford the monthly payments on that for their entire WAGE.

Mac Pro is not for people who are on an hourly wage and buying their own equipment. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Damn, the rack mount version isn't coming out at the same time.

If I were to buy the tower it would be $30,199. Assuming the rack mount starting at 1k more is just for the case, it'd be $31,199. I would never buy one due to cost alone, simply because I can't afford it. If I could though, i'd do it in a second. Its a beast of a computer I would definitely use to its potential.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

6 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It's not for anyone with a USB 2.0 audio desk either ;)

That is specifically a T2 mobile device issue from what I understand :D

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

3 hours ago, williamcll said:

Reviews are coming out now

Sorry to butt in and clarify, but it's not a review.  It's an unboxing and early hands-on.  A review takes much longer than offering some initial impressions.

9 minutes ago, SenKa said:

That is specifically a T2 mobile device issue from what I understand :D

The T2 isn't exclusive to mobile, the Mac Pro has one as well. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

41 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It's not for anyone with a USB 2.0 audio desk either ;)

Inb4 someone says "just buy modern audio hardware".

But really the T2 chip should be an optional card in a desktop.

39 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The T2 isn't exclusive to mobile, the Mac Pro has one as well. 

I didnt say that. I said the issue quoted was specific to mobile T2 equipped devices. The desktop T2 mac's do not have the issue, per my understanding

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

My suspicion is those USBC ports are going to see hubs plugged into them.  Apple has always used very minimal I/o.  It’s been a problem for 30 years.  They fixed it briefly with the “black” laptops, then went a bit overboard, then pared it way too far back again.

My prediction is some clever soul will build a hub designed to run off one of those internal USBC ports that snakes through the front of that expensive front grill and snaps on to the front of it.  And it will cost 2-3 times what a normal hub does.  That’s the sort of thing that has happened in the past.

3 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Canada, maxed out (without buying final cut or logic pro, but adding apple care)

image.png.d1405b96f36043957b4f8013e1bcf480.png

Ye gawds, I could buy one, but I don't have a use case for a maxed out Mac Pro. Where's Mr.Beast when you need him to spend stupid amounts of money on things. That's CAD above

As side note to that, I maxed out "the equivalent" on dell's site and it was north of 90K. The issue on the Dell site is that to get 1.5TB of RAM you need a Dual CPU configuration, which means it's an older configuration still. But yeah buying the base 

This is an equivalent Dell USD:

image.png.9d8117a97656e4e7bf8487891cc36383.png

However it's not a buildable configuration for reasons I noted above. Can't get a 2X NVMe 2TB or a single 4TB drive, as they're only on a PCIe card,  and have two GPU's. Can't get 1.5TB in a 24 DIMM configuration, so selecting a 12 DIMM configuration results in doubling the RAM price.

image.png.77881f482db339bc09c29afa2c0f63e9.png

image.png.774fc7c498bdb10bcd96fba16a305bb0.png

So to "make a buildable configuration" I have to add boot drive, and switch to dual CPU's, so the result is this, Slightly more than the Mac Pro:

image.thumb.png.c60b39a4ffd829d0d29c41ec6309f231.png

image.thumb.png.bd9d7376c417b1d01a9f924f8fac7a02.png

Everything past this point was standard, 1600w redundant PSU.

Caveat: There is no accelerator card, and the GPU's used by Apple are not available from Dell on any machine that I'm aware of, so I selected the highest Quadro option, but those are also older models as well. Would I buy that Dell instead? Nope.

6 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Mac Pro is not for people who are on an hourly wage and buying their own equipment. 

Apple productivity currently goes:

Laptop

The entire freaking planet.

Thus all the strange responses. They don't have a middle ground (PC by it's nature has a much more gradual upgrade/market share).