LTT Official Folding Month 2019!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Alright guys, the time for locking this thread has come, can you all please use the Folding Community Board for all further talk.

Thank you all again for participating in the event.

Once the sheet is cleaned up I will edit this post to add the link to the spreadsheet.

@TVwazhere Can you please lock this thread for me. 

Website problems due to DST. Bleh. Windows blocking access to one of the GPUs. Super-bleh.

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

image.png.e41a5b82d9d6df8e8fe7c6de42ac186d.png

I don't think my electric company liked folding month.

3 minutes ago, justpoet said:

They loved it.  They're just obligated by various regulations and statutes these days to tell you about efficiency.

No, I actually got another letter threatening suspicions of commercial usage lol.

So in this case, they don't like it.

Pfff... one of the 1080’s running at 50% Speed it looks like based on PPD

A690B89D-B54B-4C94-B5E8-D32A2CCF7FAF.jpeg

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

22 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

No, I actually got another letter threatening suspicions of commercial usage lol.

"I'm sorry, I did not make a commercial this month.  I wish I did though, because then I'd have more money to pay for your overpriced electric charges." ;)

41 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

What f@lding setup do you have getting those kind of letters sent ???

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

What f@lding setup do you have getting those kind of letters ???

Well, the folding setup is merely pushing it over the edge.

I have quite a bit running on a regular basis PC/Server wise.

7 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Well, the folding setup is merely pushing it over the edge.

I have quite a bit running on a regular basis PC/Server wise.

Add a few solar panels to the roof to offset your usage during day/peak hours.  Even if you only put up 3-5 panels (which are 300+ watts each now in full sun), you'll still have a significant savings during the day and peak hours since your usage is a fairly continual draw.  Regardless of net metering, it'll help and pay itself back really quickly.  If your net metering laws are good, then more will help more, but if they're not great laws, that will basically just reduce your draw from the grid.

1 minute ago, justpoet said:

Add a few solar panels to the roof to offset your usage during day/peak hours.  Even if you only put up 3-5 panels (which are 300+ watts each now in full sun), you'll still have a significant savings during the day since your usage is a fairly continual draw.  Regardless of net metering, it'll help and pay itself back really quickly.  If your net metering laws are good, then more will help more, but if they're not great laws, that will basically just reduce your draw from the grid.

Not doing that til I move. My roof isn't suitable for panels and I won't be the one of put a roof on this house.

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

speaking as a UK resident, a few years ago there were incentives to do this but now it's become essentially economically unviable for most people to put panels up

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/1895304/wholesale-solar/complete-systems/1.3-kw-grid-tied-solar-system-with-4x-canadian-solar-315w-panels

This here is essentially what I'm installing.  Thanks to the microinverters, the only difficult part is holding them on the roof while you tighten up the mounting.  Everything else is pretty much plug and play following some diagrams.  The only things not included are wires/conduit to a sub panel, and another sub panel if you need it for a disconnect switch.

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/1894311/wholesale-solar/complete-systems/3.15-kw-grid-tied-solar-system-with-enphase-iq7-microinverters-and-10x-mission-solar-315w-panels

MUCH more affordable once you do your own instead of hire somebody.  Even without the federal and local tax credits, I'd still get it paid back in 7-8 years.  With the tax incentives, I may be close to a 3 yr payback (if they were south facing…mine purposely aren't, so I get better evening sun production, making me probably closer to a 5yr payback).

6 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Not doing that til I move. My roof isn't suitable for panels and I won't be the one of put a roof on this house.

Yeah, having to replace a roof…especially knowing you're moving soon anyway, are both good reasons to not do solar right now.

26 minutes ago, justpoet said:

MUCH more affordable once you do your own instead of hire somebody.

Self installs that have a grid connection path aren't allowed here, also requires triple sign off and double documented proof of grid disconnect during grid failure. Sucks but I agree with it.

I have a 9 panel Canadian Solar install with Enphase IQ6's btw, yesterday total production was 17.5kwh which is my best so far since install (just coming in to summer now).

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.300977de415e973890490d0bf4caf46e.png

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Self installs that have a grid connection path aren't allowed here, also requires triple sign off and double documented proof of grid disconnect during grid failure. Sucks but I agree with it.

I would agree for string based inverter systems that deal with higher voltage DC and many then have differing after-inverter disconnect switching hardware until recently, but with EnPhase IQ products, there's really nothing to do.  Wire them up to normal AC wires and they do it all internally.  They auto disconnect since they can't create power without the correct AC frequency and voltage on the line.  So it isn't possible to not follow all the grid safety standards when using them.

5 minutes ago, justpoet said:

I would agree for string based inverter systems that deal with higher voltage DC and many then have differing after-inverter disconnect switching hardware until recently, but with EnPhase IQ products, there's really nothing to do.  Wire them up to normal AC wires and they do it all internally.  They auto disconnect since they can't create power without the correct AC frequency and voltage on the line.  So it isn't possible to not follow all the grid safety standards when using them.

The issue is specifically with the grid connection,"trust me" is not good enough for electrical line workers. You must have certified proof by a certified installer the system does disconnect and then the lines company carries out the same test and documents their own proof the system does. It doesn't matter that the Enphase IQ microinveters don't function without a reference AC signal you still need to carry out those tests and document it just in case of manufacturing fault or improper installation etc.

Lines workers have actually died because of PV systems not isolating.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

The issue is specifically with the grid connection,"trust me" is not good enough for electrical line workers. You must have certified proof by a certified installer the system does disconnect and then the lines company carries out the same test and documents their own proof the system does. It doesn't matter that the Enphase IQ microinveters don't function without a reference AC signal you still need to carry out those tests and document it just in case of manufacturing fault or improper installation etc.

Lines workers have actually died because of PV systems not isolating.

Yeah, here we have to show the documentation (EnPhase has it all on their website) and then when they come to put in the bidirectional meter they test the disconnect by monitoring the production wire while they kill power.  If it goes to 0, you're good.  It is a really simple procedure as a quick and effective test.  I agree though, definitely that last test should be done by the grid folks, as it is a safety issue.  But that's just par for the course here and no added charges since all the equipment is already certified.

But, we digress.  Back to your regularly scheduled folding!

Image result for 2 hours left gif

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, shaz2sxy said:

Noooo ? 

image.png.66d235f63b77a7a8764e7e6a6bf95787.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

Noooo ? 

image.png.66d235f63b77a7a8764e7e6a6bf95787.png

Same here ?

Screenshot_20191104-220839.png

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

4 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

Who else is waiting for the end in a little over an hour to finally game on their PC for the first time in over a month?

IVe got Red Dead pre loading...

I have a 2070 super and still havent played anything on it r tried raytracing lol

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

1 out of the 3 PCs I have is used for GPU compute fund and games.

However i have given up my primary system all month as well, I have never actually gotten to try a game on the 2080 Super in it, got it and put it to work folding.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

Just now, shaz2sxy said:

IVe got Red Dead pre loading...

I have a 2070 super and still havent played anything on it r tried raytracing lol

I have a 2060 that will never see a game, regardless of  RTX or not,  in my possession.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I have a 2060 that will never see a game, regardless of  RTX or not,  in my possession.

But do you really want to live your life without RTX?

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database.