LTT Official Folding Month 2019!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Alright guys, the time for locking this thread has come, can you all please use the Folding Community Board for all further talk.

Thank you all again for participating in the event.

Once the sheet is cleaned up I will edit this post to add the link to the spreadsheet.

@TVwazhere Can you please lock this thread for me. 

LTT Folding Month 2019!

Starts October, 1st (00:00 BST)

Ends November, 4th (23:59 GMT)

Folding@home team LTT id#: 223518

(This event is only for folding for team LTT you will not qualify if you are folding independent or for another team, sorry.)

This event will be eligible for F@H event badges.

image.png.88bf63f33f4c7ad6ac1d51595315f3cc.png image.png.5317c842b1efe6e78f4ca7e37fe0b5c4.png image.png.1d891e02773730f5833790b228291d6a.png

Please follow this thread to keep up to date!

Prizes!!!

(possibly more to come)

Community donated prizes:

10x random Steam keys - Donated by @GOTSpectrum

Draw - All Ranks

9x random Steam keys - Donated by @tg4life666

Draw - All Ranks

24x random Steam keys - Doanted by @kubo6472

Draw - All Ranks

20x Random Steam keys - Donated by @ossi120

Draw - All Ranks

20x Random Steam keys - Donated by @ObscureMammal

Draw - All Ranks

5x 20USD Steam gift cards - Donated by @Den-Fi

Draw - Ranks 26-50, 51-75, 76-100, 101-125, 126-150

1x 60USD Steam gift card - Donated by @YBPT

Draw - Ranks 1-25

1x Wolfenstein - young blood, bethesda client key - Donated by @shaz2sxy

Draw - Ranks 150 - 300

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB kit - Donated by @JoeDaCabbie*

Draw - Ranks 1-100

LMG Prizes:

Corsair
5 x K70 RGB MK.2
5 x Nightsword RGB
5 x HS70 Wireless

Fractal
2 x Define R6 Tempered Glass

EVGA
4 x 650 G5 Power Supplies
4 x 240mm or 280mm AIO Liquid Coolers

Cablemod
5 x Pro Cable Kit (any PSU/color)

Floatplane
10 x 3 Month Subs

*(Joe will purchase the kit in the country of the winner online and use that retailer to ship to winners address)

The LMG prizes will be handled by them on a separate thread that will be posted closer to the start date, keep your eye out here for further information as it rolls in. 

follow the link below to sign up for the LMG giveaway.

LMG Prize Thread!

minimum requirements: 100k points, 20 WUs, and 20 days of having activity over the course of the whole month

Well guys, it has once again come, the Folding Month is here! But this time around we will be running across 5 whole weeks! Autumn is the time of year when temperature starts to fall and many of us ramp up our folding efforts. At least that is the case for those of us in the northern hemisphere, apologies to anyone down under. Much like last year the format is simple, over the course of the event we will all try to fold as much as we can, pushing our hardware, bringing as much online as we can and most importantly showing the world just what Team LTT can do! Remember that we may be ranking the participants but much like any other folding event we run we fold as a team first and as an individual second. As a bonus there will be a spreadsheet to sign up for so that we can track your folding progress over the course of the month, with bragging rights at stake. Special badges will be awarded to all who meet the minimum participation requirement.

Folding@home is a network of volunteer computers distributed around the world that aims to perform biomedical research with the single intent of helping to further understand and develop cures for a range of diseases such as; Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's. The exact research that is done is simulating the 'folding' of proteins in the body, this is important because the function of a protein id directly related to its physical shape. And this, when the protein is created in the body it needs to reshuffle its shape to get into the correct structure to perform its task. Many illnesses can be linked to faulty proteins in the body such as many cancers and neurological issues, along with a wide number of other general health concerns. This network if compared with the TOP500 list of supercomputers would fall into 2nd, Folding@home is one of the world's fastest computing systems, with a speed of approximately 98.7petaFLOPS. It would be 50% faster than the fastest x86 computer currently listed on the top500. 

If you are wondering what exactly has been done with all this computing power then you can check out the papers written by the scientists and researchers that use the folding network, I will warn you though many of them are very in depth reads and in turn this means they are often fairly technical.

https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Gr6yyAKMGqt3GnvWmB_rfaK97f82_dj5VRJOAgygVL0

Please fill out this poll to improve future events:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1100595-folding-month-2019-poll/

If you want to be messaged about future Distributed Computing events on the forum sign up to our mailing list here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1gduOZEKLf5jm0ZiSQK3lAqT70sHC6WnfDCVikpjTccE

To qualify for badges you must meet the minimum requirements for participation which for this event will be as follows minimum requirements: 100k points, 20WUs, and 20 days of having activity over the course of the whole month. This is subject to change for future events as we find out what the sweet spot is to include as many people as possible but not make it too easy to just get a free badge. 

PASSKEYS! (they're really important)

Don't forget to get yourself a passkey from the link below to ensure that you hit the points requirement, the passkey is a feature that was added a while ago to the Folding Client that helps to authenticate each user on the network, an added bonus of this is the fact that it allows you to qualify for QRB(Quick Return Bonus) Points, QRBs are extra points you earn for submitting work units more quickly, such as if you have faster hardware or let the client fold full time, rather than on idle. QRB credit is awarded after 10 WUs have been submitted. You can get your passkey from the link below.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey

Can we all make sure to give thanks to Riley for his Techlinked shout out, we really appreciate the help. If you are not subscribed to Techlinked over on YouTube I'd really suggest it, go show the man some love. 

Please remember that I will be writing my usual daily update blog once the event kicks off, once we are ready the link for the blog for this year will be found in this part of the OP.

If you need some signs that these things usually blow up and go pretty well you can check out the last few event threads here, the first one turned into the folding community board, our second has over 400 sign ups and earlier this year we held a mini folding sprint during the summer, all can be found linked below. 

FAQ/Tips and Tricks:

Facts and Fiction (ideal config help):

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Once again please dont forget to follow the thread for updates 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Nice, time to put my GTX 1060 to use. I loved last year's Folding Month and haven't folded much since then due to heat, electricity, and dust build-up in my PC. :(

Gonna apply for this year's month, can't wait to rev up the gears again. :)

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

just a quick question about the badges... how many points for each?

The badges are earned on number of events participated in, bronze 1 event, silver 3 events and gold is 5 events, I think....

@palespartan can you clarify, it's late here and my brain is slow

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Ready to help the cause and already folding whenever I can! 

1080 Ti with custom watercooler is up and running.

Hope to hit top 100 until end of the year and top 25 until end of the next year.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Someone sign up for me. I hate signing up for things.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Someone sign up for me. I hate signing up for things.

Send you deets and I will

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

If anyone wants to donate any prizes towards the competition, please do message me on here. 

Please don't forget to follow this thread. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, seoz said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2d121ad5467a74ca1e49eb3712bf40ef.png

Lol, I'm in no way ready for kids. I think I would break one.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

My partner gave birth on the 26th of last month actually haha! He(my partner is a trans guy) seems to be doing quite well but I do still have the 'I'm going to break this' feeling every time I hold him. 

P.S. I did it 

image.png.4e75d51e6146e8999c30faee661e019b.png

image.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

You're very good with your hardware, they're technically kids. ;)

Now put your kids to work!

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Yay, at least it should be cooler then so I can actually run some systems.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Once JANK 3.0 gets up and running, FAH won't even know what hit it. The sheer amount of processing power to be unleashed will bump most everyone down a slot.

I'm also getting a 1660 in tomorrow, so that should be fun.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

Signed up. @leadeater and @Spotty should also sign up ;) #TeamMODS

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

19 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

just a quick question about the badges... how many points for each?

19 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The badges are earned on number of events participated in, bronze 1 event, silver 3 events and gold is 5 events, I think....

@palespartan can you clarify, it's late here and my brain is slow

Like @GOTSpectrum said the badges are done by number of events (except for the founder badge which was exclusive for last year) and I am also not sure so may have to ask whoever is in charge of badges but I do think that it is 1-3 bronze 4-5 silver and 6+ for gold.

19 hours ago, seoz said:

Nice, time to put my GTX 1060 to use. I loved last year's Folding Month and haven't folded much since then due to heat, electricity, and dust build-up in my PC. :(

Gonna apply for this year's month, can't wait to rev up the gears again. :)

18 hours ago, porina said:

Yay, at least it should be cooler then so I can actually run some systems.

That was actually part of the idea behind the original folding month. Figured I was folding to use my gaming tower as a heater anyways so might as well see who else I could rope into it. lol

16 hours ago, Opencircuit74 said:

Once JANK 3.0 gets up and running, FAH won't even know what hit it. The sheer amount of processing power to be unleashed will bump most everyone down a slot.

I'm also getting a 1660 in tomorrow, so that should be fun.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

So far we have 15 sign ups, I will post a list of them tomorrow so you can check that it all went through right. In the meantime I will me messaging everyone who participated last year, so if you get a message from me and you've already signed up feel free to ignore it. 

Happy folding everyone!

In the meantime if you see anyone with a high end GPU on the forum please feel free to tag them to this event, we are going to have quite a few prizes up for grabs. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

11 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Signed up. @leadeater and @Spotty should also sign up ;) #TeamMODS

Already signed up. @leadeater has those fancy new solar panels installed creating delicious folding juice so we know he's in ?

There's a few other mods that do it as well. @SansVarnic, @iamdarkyoshi & @Ryan_Vickers might dust off the old folding rigs for the event. 
#doitforthebadges

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Already signed up. @leadeater has those fancy new solar panels installed creating delicious folding juice so we know he's in ?

There's a few other mods that do it as well. @SansVarnic, @iamdarkyoshi & @Ryan_Vickers might dust off the old folding rigs for the event. 
#doitforthebadges

By the time the event comes around the weather might be a bit better, Nov/Dec (Jan/Feb is best) would be a much better time for me. Wonder how many like ultra cheap but actually good GPUs for folding are on ebay now.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Wonder how many like ultra cheap but actually good GPUs for folding are on ebay now.

Probably a few of those limited edition RTX 2080Ti's for $80. You know, the ones which come with the VGA port. ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Probably a few of those limited edition RTX 2080Ti's for $80. You know, the ones which come with the VGA port. ?

Was thinking cheaper than that even, like GTX 1060 Ti ?