Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rcmaehl

Dolby Labs: Old Photoshop? That's a lawsuitin - Adobe warns of potential lawsuits for users who don't update.

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

My Thoughts:

I can understand restricting access to older versions, such as removing download links, etc. However, it seems completely unreasonable to take a user to court over it. To start off with, not all users are computer literate, many may install a piece of software and then never upgrade it, especially if a newer version costs additional money. I surely hope that no lawsuits against users occur.

In this case it would be Dolby potentially suing you, not Adobe - at least as far as I understand it. I guess this is just a problem with the subscription model. For old photoshop/lightroom users who don't want to shell out the money for an upgrade, here are a few links:

gimp krita darktable

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Just now, 2FA said:

Most countries only have distribution as illegal, not download. Hence why pirate streaming/downloads are legal for users but not the site itself offering that service. It's also the reason seedboxes exist.

Sharing is often a license violation, but acquiring without paying isn't. With software if you download a copy of Windows for example and the EULA is scrubbed then you've never been presented the EULA to break it.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

Dolby hasn't moved against the userbase of CC yet.

unless you meant Adobe, then, again, Adobe's not the the one doing the suing in this situation.

I agree. But most people will not see if that way.  They will see it as a nasty message form adobe. Not everyone gets legal terms.

I have Dyslexia, my posts will have spelling and grammar errors. I try me best, but I will still make mistakes.

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Sharing is often a license violation, but acquiring without paying isn't. With software if you download a copy of Windows for example and the EULA is scrubbed then you've never been presented the EULA to break it.

I was speaking in a general sense but you're right I suppose, there is a lot of necessary gray area involved with copyright.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: Intel i7-7700K 5GHz | Gigabyte Z170N | EVGA 1080 ACX 3.0 SC | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA P2 650W | Custom Loop

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server: Intel Pentium G3258 | MSI Z87 G45 | 16GB G.Skill Sniper | 2x1TB Western Digital HDDs

1 minute ago, 2FA said:

I was speaking in a general sense but you're right I suppose, there is a lot of necessary gray area involved with copyright.

Video is the same, most films have a pre-roll license that viewing the content shows agreement to. If that is gone then you've nothing to agree to, and technically have no restriction on distributing it either.

This is the equivalent of getting a letter from your ISP warning you about pirating a TV channel that they used to offer but don't anymore. They aren't going to directly sue you, but the owner of that TV channel might.

This has been blown way out of proportion. They haven't done a single thing wrong, they aren't even blocking you from using it, just sending you a friendly letter to let you know that you should probably update

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 1TB Snail Drive, 256GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, 15.6" 1080p 120Hz Screen (Why did they even bother with only a 1050Ti, it can barely push 60fps)

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, Nvidia GT120 512MB. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

Vodafone Smart Platinum 7 - Has never seen a Vodafone Sim

1 minute ago, yolosnail said:

This is the equivalent of getting a letter from your ISP warning you about pirating a TV channel that they used to offer but don't anymore. They aren't going to directly sue you, but the owner of that TV channel might.

This has been blown way out of proportion. They haven't done a single thing wrong, they aren't even blocking you from using it, just sending you a friendly letter to let you know that you should probably update

If you bought a nice new Dell, were happy with the Dell, and had no need to upgrade, would you be happy if Microsoft revoked the OEM key that was used on that model because Dell no longer offer support and the agreement was that the key is only valid for the life cycle of the machine?

4 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

That sounds like the crap a business guy without any knowledge said in my old job.

When he left the room, all the employees started to laugh for 10+ min. It was amazing. 😉

You obviously never worked in IT for a bigger company with work sites all over the place.

It takes time to install updates/upgrades. Time your employees could be working. Yes I'm aware its best to auto install updates over night. But the computers are still powered on sucking up power. And that does not work if the workstations are used around the clock. 

4 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Retrain people, because the UI changes a little... haha. If you need that, you should invest into different people all together.

UI changes can be rather large, look at the difference form windows 7 to 8 or 10. Then there are places that do not upgrade everything when there is a new version of something out and may skip one or two versions. That can make for a rather large UI change.

The place I'm as has skip version of software sometimes do to cost. Upgrading office was over 150k for the license keys alone. We had to skip office 2010, 2013, 2016 go right to 2019.

Then were was the time spent rolling out the upgrade, most our work sites do not have a domain/vpn or strong network connection or even internet at all so we had to roll out the updates on site. All sad and done it was anther 50ish grand to upgrade office.

I have Dyslexia, my posts will have spelling and grammar errors. I try me best, but I will still make mistakes.

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

If you bought a nice new Dell, were happy with the Dell, and had no need to upgrade, would you be happy if Microsoft revoked the OEM key that was used on that model because Dell no longer offer support and the agreement was that the key is only valid for the life cycle of the machine?

That's completely different, Windows is not a subscription, Adobe CC is

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 1TB Snail Drive, 256GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, 15.6" 1080p 120Hz Screen (Why did they even bother with only a 1050Ti, it can barely push 60fps)

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, Nvidia GT120 512MB. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

Vodafone Smart Platinum 7 - Has never seen a Vodafone Sim

Just now, yolosnail said:

That's completely different, Windows is not a subscription, Adobe CC is

Similar thing, you have been using a product and due to the manufacturer of that product making an odd agreement, when they stop support, your license to use it also goes.

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

Similar thing, you have been using a product and due to the manufacturer of that product making an odd agreement, when they stop support, your license to use it also goes.

Similar yes, but not the same.

I really wish Apple would create their own Pro photo editing application to complement FinalCut and Logic. 

Adobe be is a terrible company and I’ve never paid to use any of their software. 

I suggest Affinity Photo. It’s very similar to Photoshop and costs a single payment of like $40 I think. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
21 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

You missed the cloud part.

To fix your example: You rented the dell. The company never took it back, but drops you a letter that the windows license expired and offers you a shiny new dell, wich you already paid rent for.

All you have to do is say yes and get a NEW dell with an active license.

But you refuse, even tho you already paid the money for it,...

Kinda dumb, isn't it?

13 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

You missed the cloud part.

To fix your example: You rented the dell. The company never took it back, but drops you a letter that the windows license expired and offers you a shiny new dell, wich you already paid rent for.

All you have to do is say yes and get a NEW dell with an active license.

But you refuse, even tho you already paid the money for it,...

Kinda dumb, isn't it?

Not if that old Dell is running part of a factory using a 64 bit PCI card. Paying out rental and opting to keep the older hardware may well be cheaper than replacing 500k's worth of manufacturing equipment.

1 hour ago, Mr. horse said:

I'm sure it does.

No it does not cost money to upgrade. That is the whole point of Creative Cloud, that you pay a subscription, but you always get the newest version included in your plan.

Again, people are jumping to conclusions here. Adobe is just pointing out that, if you use the old version, they are not taking the blame if you get sued by a third party, because their IP is included in the old version and is no longer licensed. In reality, this is extremely unlikely to happen, they are just covering their legal bases.

If you actually take the time to read the details: This story is a storm in a Teacup. A whole load of Nothing.

2 hours ago, firstchrono said:

Ok. This is going to be a different opinion than what I've see thus far...but here I go.

I'm reading this specific part: Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties

To me, that means that Adobe has structured their specific agreements with 3rd parties (filters, effects, 3rd party processing, etc) such that when a version of CC is no longer supported, the licensing agreement has been nullified. I don't think Adobe would sue anyone for using an older version, they are notifying you as the user that you are no longer protected by such agreements and open to litigation with a 3rd party company. This was probably a power move by Adobe to lower licensing costs for 3rd party tools that they utilize.

I'm a Software Engineer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

This seems more likely given how Adobe software is often one of the most pirated. 

Regardless, I'm a Capture One user, so I'll just stick to that. It's better at demosaicing the Fuji X-Trans RAW files 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

That’s a cloud service.

in return for paying a smaller repeated monthly fee, you get to use their product and is required to update when possible.

though I find it harsh to say they would sue if you don’t update, I can understand why they want you to though

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

I really wish Apple would create their own Pro photo editing application to complement FinalCut and Logic. 

They had. 

It's called Aperture 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

10 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

That’s a cloud service.

in return for paying a smaller repeated monthly fee, you get to use their product and is required to update when possible.

though I find it harsh to say they would sue if you don’t update, I can understand why they want you to though

Again, NOT what is happening here. You fail to read the article. Adobe is pointing out you MIGHT get sued by THIRD PARTIES. Not by them.

As for the subscription: I am not a big fan. I wish you could still buy Photoshop or whatever outright, rather than pay a subscription. ... which costs you more money in the long run.

Adobe don't even offer purchasing their software anymore, it is all subscription based now. Has been for several years now.

This Thread is a trainwreck.

Really, do we need clickbaity titles for Forum Threads now? People just read the thread topic, and start jumping to conclusions, without actually reading the article.

This makes for very frustrating spread of misinformation, not good discussion.

Mods can close this topic for all I care.

19 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

They had. 

It's called Aperture 

Which is dead and died years ago. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball