Does Facebook even care anymore? - Plain Text Passwords

markopolomp

SOURCE: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/facebook-staff-had-access-to-millions-of-people-s-passwords/ar-BBV3PJz?li=BBnb7Kz&%25252525253Bocid=UE07DHP

SOURCE: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/03/facebook-stored-hundreds-of-millions-of-user-passwords-in-plain-text-for-years/

Facebook, once again, doesn't seems to care about its users' privacy. Facebook claims that they normally mask people's passwords when they create accounts, but apparently hundreds of millions of password were accessible in a database by Facebook employees. This was noticed in January by security engineers who realized that passwords were being inadvertently logged into a plain text format. And although Facebook claims that no one outside of Facebook had access to these, they still won't release how many employees had access to this data.

The Facebook source said the investigation so far indicates between 200 million and 600 million Facebook users may have had their account passwords stored in plain text and searchable by more than 20,000 Facebook employees. The source said Facebook is still trying to determine how many passwords were exposed and for how long, but so far the inquiry has uncovered archives with plain text user passwords in them dating back to 2012.

Renfro said the company planned to alert affected Facebook users, but that no password resets would be required.

“We’ve not found any cases so far in our investigations where someone was looking intentionally for passwords, nor have we found signs of misuse of this data,” Renfro said. “In this situation what we’ve found is these passwords were inadvertently logged but that there was no actual risk that’s come from this. We want to make sure we’re reserving those steps and only force a password change in cases where there’s definitely been signs of abuse.”

Just change your passwords if you use Facebook, use a password manager and randomly generated passwords, and remember that Facebook/Instagram will never treat your data right lol

Graphic Design + Gaming Machine:

CPU: i7-8700 GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM CASE: Phantek P400 Tempered Glass

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/06/facebook-privacy-focus-vision/

Facebook's new privacy-focused platform, which will see its core apps overhauled, will, according to Facebook, be built around principles that include private interactions, end-to-end encryption, ephemeral messages, safety, interoperability, and secure data storage.

Well, this didn't age well at ALL. loooooooool

!@#$

Lots of angry words here

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Please let Facebook die. Please 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

25 minutes ago, markopolomp said:

This was noticed in January by security engineers who realized that passwords were being inadvertently logged into a plain text format.

25 minutes ago, markopolomp said:

so far the inquiry has uncovered archives with plain text user passwords in them dating back to 2012.

Took them this long to notice? seriously?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Awesome, another security problem. What's that like the 5th one in the last year?

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

This is getting out of hand, its getting to the point where i may delete facebook and have a dummy account for just viewing pages.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Awesome, another security problem. What's that like the 5th one in the last year?

5th? I've seen a report that said there were hundreds of data breaches at Facebook in 2018 alone (don't quote me on that, just going by memory)

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, _Syn_ said:

5th? I've seen a report that said there were hundreds of data breaches at Facebook in 2018 alone (don't quote me on that, just going by memory)

Nice. Guess I'll go delete the facebook account I never use.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

6 minutes ago, XR6 said:

giphy.gif.79a8f01e9091e6bb703a94c52a4e7659.gif

This never gets old.

I mean you can just feel the evil in this picture.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

8 minutes ago, XR6 said:

giphy.gif.79a8f01e9091e6bb703a94c52a4e7659.gif

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 hours ago, markopolomp said:

Facebook, once again, doesn't seems to care about its users' privacy.

Facebook cares very deeply about the privacy of users on it's site, however by "users' privacy" they mean having THEIR privacy in how they data mine and sell your information xD

5 hours ago, markopolomp said:

SOURCE: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/facebook-staff-had-access-to-millions-of-people-s-passwords/ar-BBV3PJz?li=BBnb7Kz&%25252525253Bocid=UE07DHP

SOURCE: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/03/facebook-stored-hundreds-of-millions-of-user-passwords-in-plain-text-for-years/

Facebook, once again, doesn't seems to care about its users' privacy. Facebook claims that they normally mask people's passwords when they create accounts, but apparently hundreds of millions of password were accessible in a database by Facebook employees. This was noticed in January by security engineers who realized that passwords were being inadvertently logged into a plain text format. And although Facebook claims that no one outside of Facebook had access to these, they still won't release how many employees had access to this data.

Just change your passwords if you use Facebook, use a password manager and randomly generated passwords, and remember that Facebook/Instagram will never treat your data right lol

Or just dont use them in the first place. They cant leak your Facebook password if you dont have one ?

With any other platform, what would happen is that people would mass dump them with such monumental cockup and breach of privacy and security. But with Fecesbook, nothing will happen and people will continue to flock in to use it. Every bloody cockup they do, nothing happens. And that should be a warning how dumb people are and how little shit Fecesbook gives about anything when they have such monopoly and power. You can literally not give a fuck about anything and people would still continue to use your service no matter what. Now, that IS the scary part. Because no outcry by consumers can slap them in the face really, but people leaving this garbage platform in millions would. I just don't see it happening anytime soon or ever really...

I don't know, this isn't even funny anymore, it's scary that they somehow keep getting away with this crap, people keep trusting them, and there's nothing anyone can do to fix this.

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Please let Facebook die. Please 

I am right there with you buddy.

Let Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat die.

Social media (not forums) needs to die in a fire.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And people ask me why my Facebook activity has been idle for the past few months 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

And that's why you need 2FA

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Why are you all so salty towards social media? Are you sad that nobody wishes to keep in touch with you?