AMD’s Hawaii GPU to return with Radeon R9 300 series

BiG StroOnZ

First and foremost, Hawaii-based GPUs will not feature any kind of HBM implementation. The rebranding of Radeon R9 290 series will be limited to overclocking and (most importantlythe addition of 4GB memory.

Hawaii-based R300 cards are only slightly overclocked. The Hawaii XT model has 1050 MHz core clock and Hawaii PRO 1010 MHz. That’s a subtle increase, limited not by the silicon, but TDP. The memory clock however, will get more juice. The speed has been increased to effective 6 GHz (1500 MHz), which means Hawaii R9 300 cards will have 64 GB/s higher memory bandwidth than R9 290 series.

The Radeon 300 high-end segment will surely stand out from competition. Both Fiji and Hawaii models will have higher bandwidth than GM200 based TITAN-X and GTX 980 Ti. AMD is clearly targeting 4k+ resolutions with their next lineup.

1zxtysx.jpg

qzkr6g.jpg

Source: http://videocardz.com/55499/amds-hawaii-gpu-to-return-with-radeon-300-series

I find this an interesting article for a few reasons. One of those reasons is that Videocardz seems to not use the word 380X or 380 because they are apparently reserving those naming schemes for the OEM listed cards that we saw a few weeks ago (where the 380 was a 285 rebrand). Which I'm not sure if it should apply to the regular card lineup considering those were OEM cards. However, it does strike my interest because now they have me thinking what if the Hawaii Rebrands are actually the 390X and the 390 and Fiji XT (what has been purported to be the 390X) will actually be called an entirely different card altogether (like how NVIDIA has their Titan). Which I think is a great idea as far as I'm concerned for AMD, which definitely will differentiate themselves from their other cards. However, of course this begins to change speculation entirely. As far as the Hawaii rebrands go, I think it's a great idea that they are giving it 8GB of VRAM stock and increasing the memory clocks. I see huge gains on memory overclocks so I'm sure this will benefit performance. It's kind of sad that they cannot really increase the core clocks all that much without hindering TDP but maybe non-reference versions will take a stab at this instead. I'm sure with how efficient Maxwell cards are they can't really go crazy with the TDP even though actual enthusiasts rather have more raw power. But like I said, maybe if they are binned chips they are using, perhaps non-reference versions will offer 1150MHz core clocked variants.

To bad the memory controller is weak on the Hawaii GPU's :/

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

AMD cannot invest as much time/money into R&D, therefore many will be re-badges of Hawaii. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Literally the 100th post about this....

Please post a link if this is a repost.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

-snip-

-snip-

Literally the 100th post about this....

At least have the decency to link what post is the original, instead of just saying it's a repost.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It was on like page 7 :P

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/361703-oem-rebrands-amd-reveals-specs-for-360-370-and-380-cards/

At least have the decency to link what post is the original, instead of just saying it's a repost.

That's not the right article at all. This is not a repost. Those are talking about the OEM rebrands.

This article just came out yesterday, that post is from May 6th. 

You can even look at the core clocks and specs in that article, they are nothing like these specs. 

That's not the right article at all. This is not a repost. Those are talking about the OEM rebrands.

Hmm, I guess.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Almost feels like they need to shift the numbers down to make room

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Almost feels like they need to shift the numbers down to make room

Exactly, I feel like AMD are going to make their version of the Titan with Fiji XT (the watercooled, 8GB HBM, card that has been called the 390X). Then the 390X and 390 will be Hawaii rebrands. This speculation hasn't really existed up until now with this article.

I really hate how people scream "Repost" or 100th repost when they dont even have a link

God damnit LTT, at least read the article and link it before calling it a repost....

OT:

I really hope that AMD makes a 4gb version of the 380x.

Then I can call my 290x as fast a 380x :)

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

I really hope that AMD makes a 4gb version of the 380x.

Then I can call my 290x as fast a 380x :)

Well this is where the interesting part comes.

What the hell is going to be the 380X?

A full fledged Tonga rebrand like we see listed on AMD's website for OEM manufactures? Or is the retail version going to be a Hawaii rebrand?

Seems kind of difficult to make your OEM card a Tonga rebrand then your retail card a Hawaii rebrand (at least because of confusion).

So what does that leave you with?

390X and 390 are Hawaii Rebrands, then the Fiji XT card that everybody has been calling the 390X is actually called "Colossus" (made that up but you get the point) but to obviously compete with NVIDIA's Titan.

If I recall correctly, AMD has already stated that all their future GPUs would support FreeSync, which means unless I'm missing something, all the GCN 1.0 rebrands on that chart are wrong. Not sure how much I trust this source :P

As always, ignore the rumors... We'll see what happens in a few weeks.

Might grab myself some cheaper 8GB 380x for Skyrim  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

If I recall correctly, AMD has already stated that all their future GPUs would support FreeSync, which means unless I'm missing something, all the GCN 1.0 rebrands on that chart are wrong. Not sure how much I trust this source :P

As always, ignore the rumors... We'll see what happens in a few weeks.

Well they labeled the 7950/7970 generation as supporting FreeSync as well, but only for movies and not games.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Well they labeled the 7950/7970 generation as supporting FreeSync as well, but only for movies and not games.

I found that to be the most asinine and appalling thing. 

Why don't monitors already have a 24p mode? I mean...HT equipment has had the 24p for a long ass time. Hell, my Blu Ray player and receiver give nice blue lights when 24p sources are detected, and only send a 24p feed to my projector. 

Blows my mind that stuff like this hasn't a mandated standard for monitors and video output on GPUs for years. 

3:2 pulldown is not ever an answer for movies, and 48p movies aren't gonna be spared this issue either and we're a hell of a lot ways away from 60p footage being broadcast in movies or shows. 

Well, one things for sure; they're certainly keeping us guessing as to the exact naming and details of their next generation GPU lineup, re-brands of not. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

very interesting. They must be either using higher binned memory chips, or changing the firmware to deliver more voltage to the memory. The memory voltage is tied to core voltage with 290/x cards (which is normally how you get the memory clocks up with Hawaii, by raising core voltage), but the core/memory voltage ratio could be adjusted in firmware quite easily I imagine. This will boost benchmark scores way up, which is good in some ways, but nothing a person can't just do themselves with a 290/x.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

the whole chart looks wrong to me lol.

i still conviced that a german article i read about the new line up of R9 gpu´s is the most accurate ive seen.

R9-395X2 Bermuda XTX

R9-390X Fiji

R9-390 Fiji

R9-380X Grenade > Hawai 290X rebrand

R9-380 Grenade > Hawai rebrand 290.

R9-370 - Tonga > 285 rebrand

R9-360 - Pitcaim > 7850 / 7870 / 270 / 270X rebrand.

the whole chart looks wrong to me lol.

i still conviced that a german article i read about the new line up of R9 gpu´s is the most accurate ive seen.

R9-395X2 Bermuda XTX

R9-390X Fiji

R9-390 Fiji

R9-380X Grenade > Hawai 290X rebrand

R9-380 Grenade > Hawai rebrand 290.

R9-370 - Tonga > 285 rebrand

R9-360 - Pitcaim > 7850 / 7870 / 270 / 270X rebrand.

Yeah this makes a LOT more sense. I heavily doubt that AMD will keep the Pitcairn GPU in essentially the same tier for 3 generations (7870-270/X-370). It's going to become the 360 or just be completely replaced. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Don't think that AMD will rebrand Pitcairn. They don't support freesync.

Rebranding Hawaii with a slightly lower price actually makes sense because they have proper feature support and are fast enough to go up against Maxwell.

Althoug the only truly exciting parts are the new high end Fiji parts.

Hmm if this rebrand is true, their Grenada cards will still be behind the 980 and 970 performance wise (albeit with more vram). Sigh

Well this is nothing new :) I'ts well known they'd do this with limited budget.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |