Nvidia "You Want a Piece of This ?" AMD "That Piece May Already Be Mine". Patent War Reigniting

BookerDeWitt

In a very interesting development AMD's Senior VP and CFO revealed that AMD has already considered legal action in the Nvidia/Samsung/Qualcomm patent battle.

The company executive revealed that the company is actively evaluating the possibilities for future action with regards to the on-going patent war declared by Nvidia on Samsung and Qualcomm. Nvidia alleges that both companies are actively infringing on a number of its fundamental graphics intellectual property.

The legal battle escalated quickly with Samsung pushing for a ban on all Nvidia's GeForce graphics cards in the united states a move that could prove devestating.

Through the acquisition of ATi in 2006 AMD acquired all of ATi's intellectual property, going back all the way to 1985, 8 years before Nvidia was founded. A lot of fundamental graphics IP has been developed in those eight years that AMD may use to go after its rival.

AMD has not specified which patents exactly it's considering or which companies it will go after. However we may see action develop later in 2015.

Complete article.

Inb4 statements that justify AMD's potential future actions.

Lol @ that title

They should just stop these silly patent wars, no big company's product will be banned, they are simply too big for that and those amounts of money they constantly have to pay back and forth are just silly

Also AMD as got better things to focus on and spend their limited budget on.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

potato.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Samsung is trying to get rid of nvidia because AMD is paying them.

This has to be the most ridiculous conspiracy theory I've ever seen on this forum. You think AMD is paying Samunsg, a company that literally makes 50 times more revenue per year, to go after Nvidia ? when IN FACT it was Nvidia that began the patent war by pressing charges against Samsung and Qualcomm in the first f***ing place ! Do you realize how ridiculous you sound ?

ROOOOFL, this has to be the most ridiculous notion I've ever seen thrown around. You think AMD is paying Samunsg, which literally makes 50 times more revenue per year, to go after Nvidia ? when IN FACT it was Nvidia that began the patent war by pressing charges against Samsung and Qualcomm in the first f***ing place ! Do you realize how ridiculous you sound ?

Did you not know that AMD is in a partnership with samsung?

Samsung is making chips for AMD because AMD was having serious issues trying to decrease their manufacturing process, which is why their CPUs are still made with a 5-year-old process.

Yes, AMD is paying samsung in this partnership. You should stop making assumptions based on facts that you do not know.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So really this all began because AMD made a partnership with samsung to make their chips, because AMD cant do it themselves.

Ehh... How did you come to that conclusion? Remember, Nvidia threw the first rock at Samsung by filing to have their mobile devices removed from the US market. It was not until after that happened that Samsung fired back.

Ehh... How did you come to that conclusion? Remember, Nvidia threw the first rock at Samsung by filing to have their mobile devices removed from the US market. It was not until after that happened that Samsung fired back.

Read what I wrote above ^^^

Spoiler

Did you not know that AMD is in a partnership with samsung?

Samsung is making chips for AMD because AMD was having serious issues trying to decrease their manufacturing process, which is why their CPUs are still made with a 5-year-old process.

Yes, AMD is paying samsung in this partnership. You should stop making assumptions based on facts that you do not know.

#1 AMD isn't in a partnership with Samsung, Globalfoundries has licensed the 14 LPE and LPP node from Samsung not AMD.

#2 AMD isn't paying Samsung a single dime, Globalfoundries and ONLY Globalfoundries can manufacture AMD CPUs/APUs courtesy of the WSA (Wafer Supply Agreement) with GLoFo. The only time AMD failed to meet that WSA they had to pay a fine of 300 million dollars.

#3 Take your own advice to heart "You should stop making assumptions based on facts that you do not know."

#1 AMD isn't in a partnership with Samsung, Globalfoundries has licensed the 14 LPE and LPP node from Samsung not AMD.

#2 AMD isn't paying Samsung a single dime, Globalfoundries and ONLY Globalfoundries can manufacture AMD CPUs/APUs courtesy of the WSA (Wafer Supply Agreement) with GLoFo. The only time AMD failed to meet that WSA they had to pay a fine of 300 million dollars.

#3 Take your own advice to heart "You should stop making assumptions based on facts that you do not know."

http://techreport.com/news/27149/report-samsung-to-produce-14-nm-chips-for-amd

Spoiler

So really this all began because AMD made a partnership with samsung to make their chips, because AMD cant do it themselves.

wow O_O, if this is the mindset of the average Nvidia consumer I think I'll have to switch to the red team. Lord have mercy on our souls T_T

I... Um... Uh.................

You're a dumbass. I'm not even sorry. Holy fucking shit.

wow O_O, if this is the mindset of the average Nvidia consumer I think I'll have to switch to the red team. Lord have mercy on our souls T_T

I hope you're joking, lol. You're going to switch brands because you don't agree with someone else who uses the same brand as you?

So I read the article, Not a single quote in the whole article,  just a guy insinuating that AMD is going through their IP archive to see if they can monetize any of the IP they acquired with ATI.  That's it, that's all it says.  Essentially he is speculating that they are considering if they can join the law suits in an effort to make money, not to protect IP, just to make money.

I don't know whether to shake my head in shame at wccftech for being unprofessional and not using actual quotes to support their claims or people for believing it when all we have is this.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't know whether to shake my head in shame at wccftech for being unprofessional and not using actual quotes to support their claims or people for believing it when all we have is this.

It's just like that story that was strung together that said Ubisoft was blaming AMD for PC performance issues. A lot of people bought it and still believe it.

It's just like that story that was strung together that said Ubisoft was blaming AMD for PC performance issues. A lot of people bought it and still believe it.

There might be no proof, but would you really put that past Ubisoft?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

There might be no proof, but would you really put that past Ubisoft?

Yes because it doesn't fit their profile. They've been sticking to the cinematic experience excuse.

The story was clearly string together by two different, unrelated sources to make some click bait.

Yes because it doesn't fit their profile. They've been sticking to the cinematic experience excuse.

The story was clearly string together by two different, unrelated sources to make some click bait.

Fair enough lol. I just see them as having that "it must be everyone else's fault" mentality.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Fair enough lol. I just see them as having that "it must be everyone else's fault" mentality.

I don't think it was wccf that broke that news. It had already exploded on reddit and picked up by other outlets I believe.

They always have someone to blame that's for sure, even their customers.

I don't think it was wccf that broke that news. It had already exploded on reddit and picked up by other outlets I believe.

They always have someone to blame that's for sure, even their customers.

They're not ALWAYS blaming someone but they do like to make excuses for their poor time management.

I have my fingers crossed that the team working on the next Ass Creed can pull it off in time because the screenshots look more interesting to me than the previously released titles.

I hope they do make some money out of it... at least then AMD could pull there finger out and actually develop bug free drivers (but thats never going to happen)

PS- No I am not an Nvidia fanboy my PC has two 290x's but im just about fed up with there shitty software that doesnt work.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I hope you're joking, lol. You're going to switch brands because you don't agree with someone else who uses the same brand as you?

Apple's fanboys are a huge part of why I don't use Apple products.