Valve discontinues production of Steam Link

AlTech

ArsTechnica reports Valve is discontinuing production of Steam Link.

Valve maintains that they will continue to support the Steam Link hardware.

Valve is quietly discontinuing Steam Link, the in-home streaming box it first launched in late 2015. A low-key announcement on Valve's Steam Link news page suggests that production of new units has ceased and that Valve is currently selling off the rest of its "almost sold out" inventory in the US, after selling out completely in Europe. Valve says it will continue to offer support for existing Steam Link hardware.

The $50 Steam Link was designed for streaming games from a local gaming PC to an HDTV in the same house, a job it did pretty well provided your networking hardware was up to it. In recent months, though, Valve has shifted its focus away from dedicated streaming hardware and toward mobile apps that can provide the same feature.

The discontinuation of Steam Link hardware wasn't a complete surprise, given that Valve was briefly selling the playing-card-deck-sized devices for a closeout price of $2.50 earlier this year. And though Valve insists it's "still working hard" on Linux gaming and bringing Windows game compatibility to SteamOS, Valve's much ballyhooed circa-2015 hardware initiative has not made a huge impact on the marketplace.

I'm personally surprised that Valve hasn't enabled 4K Steam in home streaming yet. I'm not too surprised that the Steam Link is being discontinued given that it's never sold very well.

Edited by AluminiumTech
fixed error

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

F

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

I bought the steam link for the hdmi, ethenet, and power brick. Don't care about the steam link itself :P 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

the what?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

This just reminded me that there's a SteamLink under my bed that I never even opened.

14 minutes ago, King Poet said:

This just reminded me that there's a SteamLink under my bed that I never even opened.

I don´t get why people buy stuff but then never use it at least a few times

Really not suprising when comparing where smart TVs have gone. Steam Link was a thing but now that there's enough horsepower in the TVs and they can run the Steam Link app, it's kind of the same story as with Chromecast, it has just become obsolete because TVs now have the same capabilities build in (I'm really suprised that Google released Chromecast 2).

Yesterday checked and even my year old Philips 55PUS6503/12 cannot only run Steam Link but also has support for PS4 controller through BT and Xbox360 wireless adapter and so support for 4 (grhm..8) Xbox360 controllers. And that's not even any kind of flagship 4K TV.

4 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I don´t get why people buy stuff but then never use it at least a few times

I bought it to giveaway, but then people annoyed me by not following any rules, so it ended up under the bed.

I own this device, I actually bought the Steam Controller and Steam Link together. My main complaint was that it only 'worked' with Steam titles. You could get other titles from Origin or uPlay to work, but it was sketchy and not always guaranteed. When I bought it most titles I wanted to play were on Steam, but now games on PC have become more decentralized.

Not really surprising. The landscape's changed since 2015 and now the functionality is built into a number of smart TVs and available as an Android app. Dedicated Steam Link hardware isn't necessary anymore.

they would have done way better as an android box, competing with the shield 

I do like the Links I've purchased. They make connecting to the Steam server VM's much easier. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 minutes ago, Gullerback said:

they would have done way better as an android box, competing with the shield 

wish the shield gets a hardware update.

The tegra chip they are using is starting to show their age.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

This is sad to hear, the Steam Link is an absolutely amazing little box if you don't want to drag a PC into another room. If you're a parent with younger kids who you don't want playing on your gaming PC, I highly recommend picking one up before they're all gone (along with a few Steam Controllers because they're also awesome).

-KuJoe

I think the Steam Box from Alienware came out around the same time, and we know how that ended. If they had of focused more marketing on the Steam Link, it's actually a solid proposition and could have sold well, but Valve released a lot of hardware at the same time and they advertised the Steam box very heavily. I don't think it was a bad product but not enough people really knew about it and now technology has progressed past it.

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

For me, the biggest issue is the bugginess of streaming from multi-display devices then leaving big picture mode.  Building a PC instead over the next couple of months.  So, if the thing stops getting updated too then I won't care as much.

I didn't experience too many issues with multi-monitor. Running a triple monitor display on my PC and I didn't come across too many issues. I was thinking of building a Mini-ITX system to go in the entertainment room, this would replace any need of the Steam Link. I don't know if I'll get round to it.

2 hours ago, Nowak said:

Not really surprising. The landscape's changed since 2015 and now the functionality is built into a number of smart TVs and available as an Android app. Dedicated Steam Link hardware isn't necessary anymore.

This, this, THIS!!!  If the Steam Link were released earlier in the decade, it would've been a lot more successful.  Even back in 2015, smart TVs were becoming a thing; basically, Steam Link was released, had its however many moments of fame, and then was immediately shoved off a cliff by smart TV technologies.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

From me, the bugs only occur when I leave big picture mode.  Like the cursor randomly vanishing.  Or, Chrome going to another monitor for no reason.  I've been slowly gathering parts.  Getting a Taichi X470 next month, a 2200G this weekend.  8GBs of 3200mhz at the end of next month most likely.  Trading some stuff for a G2.  Already got a focus G and a 1060 6GB SSC for it.  Planning on picking up a P300 1-2TB+an SSD by January.  I've also already got windows for it, a Gigabyte KB with cherry reds, and a death adder too.  Before you ask about the 2200G!  I'm just using it as a placeholder CPU cuz I really want a 7nm Ryzen 7 for it even if I have a 1950xXD   

I don't think there's anything wrong with the 2200G but the upcoming 7nm Ryzen line is worth waiting for. Looks like you have a solid build coming together.

Well , too bad .

Im satisfied with mine , Dirt rally , rocket league or the type is superb fun to play on a big TV far away from any possible PC related heat or noise .

Maybe if it had a bit better hardware inside , along with a gigabit port , to allow 2/4K60 ... a dedicated headphone / mic jack would be useful too.

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

For me, the biggest issue is the bugginess of streaming from multi-display devices then leaving big picture mode.

Yeah that was always my problem with it as well. Personally I don't like Big Picture Mode... like at all. If you exit it, its fairly obvious Valve doesn't intend this to be used as a general remote desktop client since its missing a couple of features. Even though it be absolutely perfect for that. (Small, low power, good latency on wired connections, cheap, a program you probably already have running in the background.)
Its a shame since BPM can act really wonky with non-steam games, or even older games later added to Steam (I always have issues with anything that has a config menu on startup)

That and last time I used it... I remember there was no way to switch which monitor you were viewing. Which was fairly annoying. Ive done multi display Teamviewer before and while its sorta awkward, At least I can drag programs back to display1

The link only had 1080p support, it makes sense to discontinue outdated tech. Unfortunately I don't think they'll be doing a 4k link any time soon

Ryzen 2700, 16GB, GTX 1080, 1440p165hz

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

There is one way to swap between monitors when exiting BPM.  Watch a youtube video in chrome in full screen then move the mouse in the direction of the other monitor.  IDK why that works, but it works for me every time. 

That is weird! But then again Im fairly sure Youtube is doing weird things in order to work. Like I don't know why but I can never watch a video on Youtube while playing a game without the game locking to 30fps. Doesn't matter how old the game is, how powerful my rig is, doesn't matter the video on youtube. 30fps.

7 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

I remember when they were selling the Steam Link for like £2 or something ?

£2.60... I bought 5

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

glad i got mine when it was 5€

best purchases i've made this year. Had forgotten how great it is to play on a big screen after i stopped playing on the PS3

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Got mine for 5$ last christmas . They're very well built tbh. too bad i don't use it much though

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case