Valve discontinues production of Steam Link

AlTech
4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

glad i got mine when it was 5€

best purchases i've made this year. Had forgotten how great it is to play on a big screen after i stopped playing on the PS3

That was my thinking when I bought one. I wanted to enjoy my PC games without being at a desk, big screen and couch. I think for that reason it was worth the buy.

I'm still confused what problem Steam Link's solve. If it wasn't on sale you could buy a 100 ft HDMI cable and easily run it underneath carpet or through walls and get way, way less delay and software-talking issues that way

37 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

I'm still confused what problem Steam Link's solve. If it wasn't on sale you could buy a 100 ft HDMI cable and easily run it underneath carpet or through walls and get way, way less delay and software-talking issues that way

Some people can't run that 20m (or 65ft, which is maximum length for HDMI cable and even that depends on what you want to move, higher resolution or more fps and that 65ft might shrink down to 25ft or lower) HDMI cable and quite many houses aren't build with cardboard walls so bluetooth or any other wireless controllers have hard time having steady connection. It also fixes the problem of controllers with the out of the box support for Xbox360, XOne, PS4, Steam and probbaly all of the bluetooth controllers.

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

Some people can't run that 20m (or 65ft, which is maximum length for HDMI cable and even that depends on what you want to move, higher resolution or more fps and that 65ft might shrink down to 25ft or lower) HDMI cable and quite many houses aren't build with cardboard walls so bluetooth or any other wireless controllers have hard time having steady connection. It also fixes the problem of controllers with the out of the box support for Xbox360, XOne, PS4, Steam and probbaly all of the bluetooth controllers.

I still don't see it. Steam Link is best used with an ethernet cable, and I know of nobody whose router is close enough to their TV to hardwire one in. You could use powerline but that's even more delay and another $40. It works best with 5Ghz, but that needs direct line of sight for best connection. If your walls are made of concrete that probably won't be an option either. If you're the type of person to hardwire in a steam link, you probably hard wire in your computer, and since you probably only have one router this would mean your computer, TV, and router are next to each other, which would be close enough to run an HDMI cable.

Also not sure what you're talking about with HDMI. The Steam Link can only do 1080p, so let's not try to get more than that. Here's a 100 foot HDMI cable for $37 that would drive 1080p 60 FPS just fine with no worse delay than my TV already has (since it's the one I'm using to connect my computer to my TV).

https://smile.amazon.com/CableVantage-PREMIUM-Braided-Ethernet-Xbox360/dp/B078JRR7KP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543033583&sr=8-3&keywords=100+ft+hdmi+cable

Once again though, the delay. No matter what you do the signal has to run from the controller, to the Link, to your router, to the computer, process on the computer, then run back to the router, then to the TV. No setting, router, or computer you use will make that delay feel unnoticeable. An HDMI alone cuts all of this out

I should add, if you truly are someone who fits or doesn't fit any of that criteria, then you're in the minority, which seems to be evidenced by the Steam Link's many $2 sales and now the discontinuation of it. It solved a problem almost nobody has

This was never sold outside US, or idk where else they sold but i kept waiting as it said it's gonna come soon to India and it never did, and now it's scrapped. great.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

5 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

This was never sold outside US, or idk where else they sold but i kept waiting as it said it's gonna come soon to India and it never did, and now it's scrapped. great.

I'm from Australia and I have it, I think it was shipped from the US though, Amazon...They sold through Steam itself as well.

The way I see it, the existence of the Steam Link app negates the necessity of a dedicated Steam Link STB, at least from the perspective of Valve 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 11/22/2018 at 1:22 AM, Teddy07 said:

I don´t get why people buy stuff but then never use it at least a few times

Literally a quarter of my Steam and GOG libraries are untouched.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide