iPhones and helium don't mix

porina

I’ve seen a lot of strange glitches in my time, and I’ve never heard of something like this. Neither had Erik. “The behavior of the devices was pretty odd. Most of them were completely dead. I plugged them in to the wall and had no indication that the device was charging. The other devices that were powering on seemed to have issues with the cellular radio. The wifi connection was consistent and fast, but cellular was very hit or miss.”

That’s when he posted the issue to Reddit, where other sysadmins speculated that it might be caused by the liquid helium used to cool the MRI machine. So he investigated, and found there was a helium leak at the same time that vented into the building.

Source: https://ifixit.org/blog/11986/iphones-are-allergic-to-helium/

It might not be something we consider normally, but some of the ever shrinking components in our phones can be adversely affected by helium or other gases uncommon in everyday life. Such as the case linked above, where it turns out a helium leak at a hospital caused some iPhones to malfunction. Although this only seemed to impact some Apple devices, unless it is a custom Apple component we shouldn't rule out the possibility Android or other devices could be similarly affected.

Fortunately there is a fix that should work, even if the wording makes it sound less than 100%...

“Exposing iPhone to environments having high concentrations of industrial chemicals, including near evaporating liquified gasses such as helium, may damage or impair iPhone functionality. … If your device has been affected and shows signs of not powering on, the device can typically be recovered.  Leave the unit unconnected from a charging cable and let it air out for approximately one week. The helium must fully dissipate from the device, and the device battery should fully discharge in the process.  After a week, plug your device directly into a power adapter and let it charge for up to one hour.  Then the device can be turned on again.”

It would seem prevention is better than cure. If you happen to be attending an extreme overclocking event with liquid helium, you might want to leave your phone elsewhere for that part... also you might want to take extra care around party balloons... 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

Source: https://ifixit.org/blog/11986/iphones-are-allergic-to-helium/

It might not be something we consider normally, but some of the ever shrinking components in our phones can be adversely affected by helium or other gases uncommon in everyday life. Such as the case linked above, where it turns out a helium leak at a hospital caused some iPhones to malfunction. Although this only seemed to impact some Apple devices, unless it is a custom Apple component we shouldn't rule out the possibility Android or other devices could be similarly affected.

Fortunately there is a fix that should work, even if the wording makes it sound less than 100%...

It would seem prevention is better than cure. If you happen to be attending an extreme overclocking event with liquid helium, you might want to leave your phone elsewhere for that part... also you might want to take extra care around party balloons... 

But the real question is, how high pitched does the ringer go when the Iphone is affected by said helium gas??? 

/s

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

An inert gas causes iPhones to malfunction?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

My first thought too,  I would have thought the intense Magnet field around the MRI machine would have fucked the phone long before helium.

EDIT: in fact helium gas rises very quickly, I can't see how it would stay in the building long enough to get to the average phone (on a desk or in a pocket) at concentrations high enough to cause an issue without being notices by heads breathing it in.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 minutes ago, mr moose said:

EDIT: in fact helium gas rises very quickly, I can't see how it would stay in the building long enough to get to the average phone (on a desk or in a pocket) at concentrations high enough to cause an issue without being notices by heads breathing it in.

Helium also likes to leak out of anything.

So a constant leak is somewhat expected (like minescule)

13 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Helium also likes to leak out of anything.

So a constant leak is somewhat expected (like minescule)

And Unless if have had a whiskey fueled brain fart, 120littres of helium expanding by 750 times only works out to 90M3 not 90,000.  I think they might have fucked that entire article up. Nothing adds up.

EDIT: yep 90,000M3 of gas compressed 750 times works out to 120,000 liters, not 120L.

EDIT2: does anyone know the density of helium, I reckon it would have to be less than 30Kg in a 120 litres, that would dissipate way too fast to actually cause a problem for "iphones" only, let alone any phone.

EDIT3: the picture they claim is an MRI machine is actually a CT scanner, I know this because they are wearing rings which that close to an Actual MRI machine would likely tear their fingers off , let alone the metal tags on the nurses neck cards and the fact the patient has a radiation apron on (MRI's are not radioactive).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

EDIT2: does anyone know the density of helium, I reckon it would have to be less than 30Kg in a 120 litres, that would dissipate way too fast to actually cause a problem for "iphones" only, let alone any phone.

Well considering the laughable density of hydrogen as a rocket fuel. Helium is probably not much better.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And Unless if have had a whiskey fueled brain fart, 120littres of helium expanding by 750 times only works out to 90M3 not 90,000.  I think they might have fucked that entire article up. Nothing adds up.

EDIT: yep 90,000M3 of gas compressed 750 times works out to 120,000 liters, not 120L.

Well, Ian Cutress tweeted about it and he has a PhD in PhysChem according to his Twitter profile. Point being I feel like he would be qualified to determine whether it's plausible or not. He didn't seem to dismiss it. Quite the contrary. Of course the information given is quite limited.

5 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Well, Ian Cutress tweeted about it and he has a PhD in PhysChem according to his Twitter profile. Point being I feel like he would be qualified to determine whether it's plausible or not. He didn't seem to dismiss it. Quite the contrary. Of course the information given is quite limited.

Maybe he should read the article before putting his name to it.  I would have thought someone with a phd in physchem would know 120L x 750 does not equal 90,000M3

I don’t see what the helium would be doing. Maybe just cooling the battery enough for it to shut down? But then it’d have to be a pretty direct "leak".  Pretty interesting altogether though. 

Also @mr moose, at 1atm and 25*C the density of helium is 163.5g/m^3

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

1 minute ago, Nup said:

I don’t see what the helium would be doing. Maybe just cooling the battery enough for it to shut down? But then it’d have to be a pretty direct « leak ».  

Also @mr moose, at 1atm and 25*C the density of helium is 163.5g/m^3

So lighter than a sparrows fart in the winter.

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Maybe he should read the article before putting his name to it.  I would have thought someone with a phd in physchem would know 120L x 750 does not equal 90,000M3

http://www.airproducts.com/Products/Gases/gas-facts/conversion-formulas/weight-and-volume-equivalents/helium.aspx

90,000m3 of helium is 15236.103Kg in liquid form or 121928.35L

*waits for Rossmanngroup to post Youtube video*

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Helium and not the stupid large magnetic field? (This one does not have radiological material as well? That can also have high energy particles that could in theory damage stuff, even if below safe levels for people to work around)

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

If these things are small, could a single atom get stuck in the silicone?

So I suspect it's actually something to do with speed of light through helium.

I watched some videos from this guy explaining how Helium has a fast speed of sound due to physics and how that can be manipulated for audio purposes. Now he's talking about sound but cellular signals (and wifi) are radio waves which are photons (light). Not sure exactly why the Wifi could function but not the cellular, could be due wavelength/frequency or just how the technologies differ.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Well darn. I knew I should have posted this last night. 1 sec. I'll link the reddit thread

TL;DR: Apple uses a tiny non-quartz clock signal (Hz) generator. This generator is susceptible to interference by helium or other small gasses and essentially makes your iOS CPU have no frequency at all because it can't generate a clock (Hz)

EDIT: 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

11 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Well darn. I knew I should have posted this last night. 1 sec. I'll link the reddit thread

EDIT: 

Oh so the helium actually causes them to be unable to power on, huh. RIP my theory or at least part of it.

Edit: Actually.... iirc eletrical signals travel near speed of light. So filling the entire phone with helium could impact signalling speed????

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

53 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Maybe you should tweet him that he's got the dum-dums.

38 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Oh so the helium actually causes them to be unable to power on, huh. RIP my theory or at least part of it

Also @porina

Yeah, I updated my comment. iOS devices are trying to miniaturize components and miniaturized their clock signal generator. This is the part of the device that generates the signal that most of the ICs including CPU use to be able to to function and operate at specific Hz/KHz/MHz/GHz. Old clock signal generators were quartz and didn't really have any downsides other than size and shock rating, these new ones are like 80% smaller but are subject to gaseous changes, smaller than oxygen, in large quantities that completely kill the signal generation.

As far as I'm aware only Apple has switched to MEMS based clock generators, however I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one android phone also using it.

@DrMacintosh Your thoughts?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Was it originally m^3? Atm it says 90,000 L which is accurate.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Oh so the helium actually causes them to be unable to power on, huh. RIP my theory or at least part of it.

Edit: Actually.... iirc eletrical signals travel near speed of light. So filling the entire phone with helium could impact signalling speed????

No. This has nothing to do with the speed of light in certain media. Nothing has change concerning singal paths, electrons still travel via the pcb and metal traces. Helium does nothing to that signal. 

The Helium penetrates the non-quartz based clock generator and causes it to stop. Since the new and smaller clock generators used by Apple are that small, a few atoms are enough to cause havoc. And since helium atoms are so incredibly small it's hard to almost impossible to fully seal against it. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

2 hours ago, bowrilla said:

No. This has nothing to do with the speed of light in certain media. Nothing has change concerning singal paths, electrons still travel via the pcb and metal traces. Helium does nothing to that signal. 

The Helium penetrates the non-quartz based clock generator and causes it to stop. Since the new and smaller clock generators used by Apple are that small, a few atoms are enough to cause havoc. And since helium atoms are so incredibly small it's hard to almost impossible to fully seal against it. 

That has to literally be the dumbest design I've ever heard. Helium concentrations in the air may be very low, but if the dissipation rate is so terrible that it can't degas a few helium atoms, expect many of these devices to self-brick eventually. A week to offgas the concentration?

Do we know how small these need to be? Smaller than oxygen is a lot of things (like nitrogen... and CO, and water....).

Also yes. sealing helium is hard, but isn't that hard (think all the helium hard-drives on the market today). It just would completely void the whole space savings from using the smaller clock generators in the first place.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, Tristerin said:

*waits for Rossmanngroup to post Youtube video*

"Apple doesn't support extreme temperatures"

Follow up video:

"Will a drop of liquid helium ruin a macbook pro"

Follow up to the follow up:

"Fixing a macbook pro that was damaged by liquid helium"

7 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Was it originally m^3? Atm it says 90,000 L which is accurate.

Yes it definitely was M3.

8 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Maybe you should tweet him that he's got the dum-dums.

Maybe he'll work it out, or maybe they'll just keep updating the article until it's not wrong.  

Have they changed the picture to an actual MRI machine yet?