Gpu help

ehaan

ive gotten a new gpu 4070 12GB (OC Aero) upgrading from a 1070 8GB (Founders Edition)

when i installed it, it was very choppy and not smooth 6-7fps (unplayable/unusable) 

im not sure what the issue is but it was saying that it was only using 42 watts of power

im sure i got the 12pin connecture secured into the card, i have a suspicion it may be my riser cable.

Below ive listen my parts

Ryzen 9 5900x

G-Skill 64GB (32x2) 3600mhz

ASUS Prime B550

EVGA 1000GQ

Hyte Y60

NZXT Kraken 240mm

If anyone else faced this issue or knows a workaround please let me know.

1 minute ago, ehaan said:

i have a suspicion it may be my riser cable.

Unlikely, usually if the riser is gonna cause issues it's going to be with the system even turning on, not with performance regressions like you're experiencing. Still, if you want to test that theory, set the primary PCIe slot to Gen 3 rather than Gen 4 like it should default to. 

My first thought would be a driver issue of some sort, so try running DDU in safe mode and reinstalling the drivers as that should hopefully fix it. 

Did you plug the cable into the GPU, and not the motherboard?

9 hours ago, MiszS said:

Did you plug the cable into the GPU, and not the motherboard?

No I plugged the display port into the gpu

10 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Unlikely, usually if the riser is gonna cause issues it's going to be with the system even turning on, not with performance regressions like you're experiencing. Still, if you want to test that theory, set the primary PCIe slot to Gen 3 rather than Gen 4 like it should default to. 

My first thought would be a driver issue of some sort, so try running DDU in safe mode and reinstalling the drivers as that should hopefully fix it. 

I appreciate this response im going to try what you suggested and i will let you know

Better check in GPU-Z the max PCIE connection speed being used by the GPU (I am not referring to the GPU's reported PCIE version support)