You will take this update and you will LIKE IT - CCleaner ignores user settings, forcibly updates, and resets privacy settings

rcmaehl

Source:
BleepingComputer

TL;DR:

CCleaner is forcing updates to all user computers even those set to ignore updates in the name of "GDPR compliance", only to reset settings to send themselves data.

Media:

Quotes/Excerpts:

Piriform is forcing CCleaner to update to the latest 5.46 version even when users had configured the program to not perform automatic updates. Once the users were upgraded to the latest version, their privacy settings were reverted to default, which is to allow anonymous usage data to be sent to Avast/Piriform. This was first reported on September 6th. An employee replied and stated that "Since the release of v5.46 we have updated some users to this version to meet legal requirements and give users more autonomy and transparency over their privacy settings." This is obviously a concern that CCleaner is ignoring user's preferences and forcing the update of a new version. An Avast spokesperson responded: "This has the added benefit of moving the updated users to a a GDPR-compliant version (although we released a compliant version of CCleaner in time for GDPR’s introduction, we weren’t required to update everyone onto this version)."

My Thoughts:
Forcing updates has always been a touchy topic. On one hand it patches security issues and help keep users secure. On the other hand like this one, it can be misused to lock down or remove existing features, reset settings, and other unwanted changes. I personally thing that if CCleaner is going to force updates, they should not be resetting the Privacy settings back to sending data to Piriform. CCleaner has gone a bit downhill since Avast bought it out :(

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I thought the gist of GDPR was to protect consumer data? How is forcing "anonymous" data collection back on aid in protecting consumer data?

It doesn't, I'm thinking about switching to BleachBit or another alternative. Doesn't look as pretty but CCleaner has continued to go downhill since Avast bought it.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

It doesn't, I'm thinking about switching to BleachBit or another alternative. Doesn't look as pretty but CCleaner has continued to go downhill since Avast bought it.

Wasn't BleachBit the name of the software used in the Clinton email scandal if I remember correctly?

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Wasn't BleachBit the name of the software used in the Clinton email scandal if I remember correctly?

Guess it is >_> The more you know.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Why are people still using CCleaner. How many times do they have to bend you over before you listen. 

well after reading this I uninstalled  it Im tired of the constant pop ups anyways

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

51 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Why are people still using CCleaner. How many times do they have to bend you over before you listen. 

Well if everyone is like elite tech savvy, maybe we won't need 3rd party software like CCleaner, but for now, it's still useful.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Well if everyone is like elite tech savvy, maybe we won't need 3rd party software like CCleaner, but for now, it's still useful.

Disk cleanup is more than enough

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Disk cleanup is more than enough

Disk cleanup doesn't clean up everything.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Disk cleanup doesn't clean up everything.

Cleans up all that is necessary. There is no need to touch registry. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Cleans up all that is necessary. 

It does not clear up temporary internet files, cookies, etc from 3rd party browsers like FireFox, Chrome, and also not from Edge, I think. The reason why CCleaner exist is because it's easy for non techies to do maintenance on their computers. It's a 1 stop location where it just takes a few clicks and they're PC is now clean form junk files. This is easier for them, instead of diving deep into the OS just to do the same thing.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It does not clear up temporary internet files, cookies, etc from 3rd party browsers like FireFox, Chrome, and also not from Edge, I think. The reason why CCleaner exist is because it's easy for non techies to do maintenance on their computers. It's a 1 stop location where it just takes a few clicks and they're PC is now clean form junk files. This is easier for them, instead of diving deep into the OS just to do the same thing.

Disk cleanup removes a ton of junk, but if you want to clean your browser its quicker to go to history and clear cookies and cache as most have 1 browser anyway.

If "non-techies" are smart enough to google how to clean junk files and find and download CCleaner, I think they can live without CCleaner

I wonder, how far back have they put in the possibility to force update?

On a similar note, is there an option on what it reports back? I don't see anything like that on 5.39 installed on one of the systems near me. It hasn't been updated in a while. Suppose the question is, has it been silently sending data back all this time?

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Doesn't look as pretty but CCleaner has continued to go downhill since Avast bought it.

Ooh, that explains a "problem" I had once when I clicked through without looking, and was wondering why AV was installing on a new system...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Disk cleanup removes a ton of junk, but if you want to clean your browser its quicker to go to history and clear cookies and cache as most have 1 browser anyway.

If "non-techies" are smart enough to google how to clean junk files, I think they can live without CCleaner

I just installed CCleaner on my system, disable "send usage data" and then Avast antivirus popped up saying their is a bad extension in FireFox. Click resolved and it remove the telemetry extension from it. So now, send usage data is disabled from CCleaner.

So CCleaner is going downhill because of Avast, and yet Avast itself warns that CCleaner has installed a bad extension into your browser.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

6 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

For the same reason I'm assuming people still use uTorrent. They don't know any better alternative.

I've blocked network access to ccleaner(portable version) long ago through my firewall and honestly haven't even used it in months. It's not something that's necessary these days except for a quick and easy way to get rid of Windows 10 built-in apps.

A firewall these days is the one piece of software security you should have and learn to use to protect your privacy, never let it automatically decide if a software should have access to the internet though, it usually default to Yes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Alternative to CCleaner

Windows built in disk cleaner

Cybertron Privacy Eraser

Wise Disk Cleaner

16 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

Alternative to CCleaner

Windows built in disk cleaner

Cybertron Privacy Eraser

Wise Disk Cleaner

Ya know I'm sad how few people realize Windows has a built in disk cleaner

2 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Does CCleaner actually clean more than whatever the Win10 built-in cleaner does?

14 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Wake me up when that one has functionality to choose which cookies to keep and which to delete.  That was my main reason for using CCleaner, it was just a convenient way to keep certain cookies while clearing all the others. 

I just did a quick check and mine also updated from 5.13 to 5.46.  No pop-up, no warning. 

Guess I'll have to somehow figure out how to handle selective cookie deletion in the future.  Time to look up how to write .bat scripts ...

14 hours ago, Tenelia said:

Does CCleaner actually clean more than whatever the Win10 built-in cleaner does?

It cleans less than CCleaner, but a better question is "Should I care?"
Because cleaning "junk files" nowadays only really means that you're freeing up disk space. Windows 10 now has Storage Sense which is Disk Cleanup in disguise + automation. It takes care of everything for you on a schedule that you pick.

Nothing more is needed IMO.