Mini: Car manufacturer offers free fuel for those in the path of Hurricane Florence

rcmaehl

Source:

Electrek

Insideevs

TL;DR/Summary:

Tesla has provided free supercharging and large battery capacity for owners in the path of the Hurricane

Quotes/Excerpts:

For Tesla owners who don’t have free Supercharging and battery packs with software-limited battery capacity, Tesla is temporarily enabling both for those in Hurricane Florence’s path. Some of those owners on the Carolina coast are reporting this morning receiving this notification from Tesla inside their cars. Hurricane Florence, a potentially dangerous category 4 storm, is currently heading toward the Carolina coast and it is expected to hit North Carolina fairly hard. Tesla did the same thing in Florida last year when Hurricane Irma hit the region. It results in unlocking 15 kWh of battery capacity for approximately 30 to 40 additional miles. Furthermore, Tesla’s Superchargers have often proven to be a more useful way to recharge than gas stations for gasoline cars in those scenarios as long lines are formed as people rush to get out of evacuation zones and other areas at risk.

My Thoughts:

Definitely sounds weird if you don't specify it's Tesla. Tesla has ways to easily gain positive PR that most companies would have to spend a fortune on. While this could be twisted as a way the rich stay richer and the poor stay poorer, I'd like to think otherwise especially with the reasonably priced Model 3.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

This would be more significant (and to play devils advocate, exploitable) if it were from an actually large car manufacturer like GM or Ford or Toyota.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

This would be more significant (and to play devils advocate, exploitable) if it were from an actually large car manufacturer like GM or Ford or Toyota.

It really would be.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Software-limited batteries? Do cars have microtransactions and DLC now?

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Your nuance is really appreciated. Still, it's difficult to gauge the real motivation of a company with a unique purpose such as Tesla. 

4 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

Yes, Tesla "allows" you to limit your software features, battery, and HP/Torque output for a lower cost.

such title gore lol 

it sounds like youre talking about the car manufacturer mini

Related image

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

If it was Toyota/Ford/GM than it might make an effect

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, Emberstone said:

All hybrid and full electric cars software restrict batteries to never all for a full fill up or drain to preserver the longevity of the battery.

It allows for a battery pack to say last 200,000 miles with 200 mile range vs 100,000 miles for 300 mile range.

It is like a SSD, it overprovisioned when cells die reserved one are used.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

All hybrid and full electric cars software restrict batteries to never all for a full fill up or drain to preserver the longevity of the battery.

It allows for a battery pack to say last 200,000 miles with 200 mile range vs 100,000 miles for 300 mile range.

It is like a SSD, it overprovisioned when cells die reserved one are used.

it is also true of tesla's that they'll reuse battery packs in multiple models, with the lower capacity models just software limited.

It makes sense business wise (dont have to make 2 different sizes), and the consumer will get a longer lasting (wear and tear/longevity) battery in the lower end car.

I don't really care for this myself. but they do it. I just dont like the idea of not being able to access what is physically there.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

my prediction is that the storm will do a turn or reach the ground with the strenght of a cheap desk fan

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

9 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Furthermore, Tesla’s Superchargers have often proven to be a more useful way to recharge than gas stations for gasoline cars in those scenarios as long lines are formed as people rush to get out of evacuation zones and other areas at risk.

I would counter-point that the only reason they're more efficient, is because there's fewer people charging Tesla's than there are those pumping gasoline.  It's easy to be "more efficient" when you're catering to a smaller market.

14 hours ago, Emberstone said:

Linus has covered this multiple times, modern batteries last longest when kept between 20% & 80% charge. Tesla aren't limiting the battery to limit range, they limiting to try and maximise lifespan. It's actually better for the customer to lose 40 miles range from the car if it means the battery will last 12 months longer than it would have otherwise.

Btw Florence has been downgraded to a CAT 2 now although apparently that makes it just as bad because it means it's likely to linger for longer allowing more rain to fall.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Thread moved to General Section.

While it's a nice gesture, it's not Tech News.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !