You got your graphene in my CPU!

LBTT

I’m sure by now, you’ve all heard of the magical material known as graphene.  It’s become popular in recent years and has even found its way into popular culture most notiably in my mind on the show The Big Bang Theory where it’s mentioned often.  But that’s always it, isn’t it?  It’s often mentioned but nothing ever seems to come from it.  This may soon be changing.

This post is brought to you today by the awesome folks of the scientific journal Nature and the fine folks of phys.org (https://m.phys.org/news/2018-09-graphene-enables-clock-terahertz-range.html)

So?  What exactly is graphene?  Well, the simplest definition of graphene is a single, ultra thin layer of interlinking graphite carbon atoms in a hexagonal pattern.  But that doesn’t do justice to the potential benefits of what graphene really is: it nothing short of the future as it can be used to make stronger building materials, better speaker systems, extremely thin lighting and even stronger than diamond body armor.  All of which, except, I guess, the last one could be used one day in a cellphone to make it incredibly durable.

But now, graphene may conceivably make it into a future smart phone in your pocket in another way: it’s CPU.  And it will be much faster than today.

With the unsustainably of silicone to meet the ever growing demand of CPUs in today’s world, large tech giants are looking for its next replacement.  This could come in the form of graphene.  But they aren’t quite there, yet.

Currently, they are simply working on the

“theory [which] has long predicted that graphene could be a very efficient ‘nonlinear’ electronic material.”

Meaning, in short, a possible replacement for silicon found in processors.  Well.  That theory may well have just been proven correct.

In the article above, speaking of their breakthrough into this theory, Prof. Dmitry Turchinovich at the University of Duisburg-Essen, states

"We were not only able to experimentally demonstrate a long-predicted effect in graphene for the first time, but also to understand it quantitatively well at the same time.”

That effect (are you ready for this): ONE TERAHERTZ of potential processing power!

But like most potentials of this highly popular and fairly new super conductor, things are still a long way off from being a consumer product but, oh boy, if it doesn’t give us something to dream about.  And the future looks fast!

one terahertz. 

When your 1080ti suddenly feels like an ancient artifact...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@LBTT Please note the Tech News section's minimum posting requirements, as of such the thread has been moved to the CPU, Motherboards and Memory section until updated. 

@W-L would you be so kind as to tell me where the thread broke the posting guidelines?

It isn’t duplicate as far as I know.

The title is relevant to the topic.

I added in my own opinions on the subject.

I linked to a reputable source which itself links to a scientific journal.

I quoted the article twice.

And it doesn’t fall under the media clause.

It is about tech.  In fact, it’s about bleeding edge tech.

I don’t understand why you moved my topic?

6 minutes ago, LBTT said:

@W-L would you be so kind as to tell me where the thread broke the posting guidelines?

you arent using the actual 

quote button

c:

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

7 minutes ago, LBTT said:

Ah alright there are quotes, please in the future to add them into quote boxes for ease of formatting.  

49 minutes ago, W-L said:

Ah alright there are quotes, please in the future to add them into quote boxes for ease of formatting.  

Oh!  Yeah!  Sorry about that.  I’ll do it in future.  I wrote this in iOS notes.  Why is the text so big?  Will you move it back, then?

11 hours ago, LBTT said:

Oh!  Yeah!  Sorry about that.  I’ll do it in future.  I wrote this in iOS notes.  Why is the text so big?  Will you move it back, then?

If you highlight it all and hit the TX button it removes formatting weirdness.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Oh, graphene, the magical pixy dust that only exists in labs.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

16 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

also in your pencil.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

graphite is not s--

can stacks of graphene still be collectively classified as graphene..? o_o

Damn it, the english language is complicated.

Anyways if you want to turn the graphite into graphene you can do that:

http://www.graphene-battery.net/graphene.htm

(if you scroll down there is a tutorial on how to make graphene at home)

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

24 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Still waiting on my graphite batteries that were discovered what...6-7years ago at this point? I expect the same for this. 

15 hours ago, LBTT said:

1. I’m sure by now, you’ve all heard of the magical material known as graphene.  It’s become popular in recent years and has even found its way into popular culture most notiably in my mind on the show The Big Bang Theory where it’s mentioned often.  But that’s always it, isn’t it?  It’s often mentioned but nothing ever seems to come from it.  This may soon be changing.

2. With the unsustainably of silicone to meet the ever growing demand of CPUs in today’s world

1. The irony of knowing how many times we've been told it was coming and nothing happens, and still being like, but THIS TIME it looks for real...

image.png.8c0c477faf1833c8865af46313377bcf.png

2. Could you elaborate on the unsustainability of silicon? I wasn't aware that it was a problem, as a matter of fact I've been told it's extremely sustainable due to this fact

Silicon is the seventh-most abundant element in the universe and the second-most abundant element on the planet, after oxygen, according to the Royal Society of Chemistry.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning, or I've missed something in the news about this, but as far as I knew this was one of our more sustainable industrial materials

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

15 hours ago, LBTT said:

That effect (are you ready for this): ONE TERAHERTZ of potential processing power!

In what universe is processing power measured in hertz? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

42 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

...2. Could you elaborate on the unsustainability of silicon? I wasn't aware that it was a problem, as a matter of fact I've been told it's extremely sustainable due to this fact

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning, or I've missed something in the news about this, but as far as I knew this was one of our more sustainable industrial materials

Silicon is an abundant element but it's not always economically accessible. Sand is the most common source for the silicon used in electronic chips but not all sand is suitable for that and the sand that is suitable is being rapidly depleted, often at the detriment of the environment. Carbon is far more accessible and it would be huge if graphene could be used to economically replace silicon.

34 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

In what universe is processing power measured in hertz? 

This one. Processor speed, which can be considered a parameter of computing power, is measured in Hz, usually GHz.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Silicon is an abundant element but it's not always economically accessible. Sand is the most common source for the silicon used in electronic chips but not all sand is suitable for that and the sand that is suitable is being rapidly depleted, often at the detriment of the environment. Carbon is far more accessible and it would be huge if graphene could be used to economically replace silicon.

Interesting, didn't know that. Well here's to hoping that the graphene thing works this time.

Edit: Auto-correct wanted me to change graphene to geographer... 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

42 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

2. Could you elaborate on the unsustainability of silicon? I wasn't aware that it was a problem, as a matter of fact I've been told it's extremely sustainable due to this fact

Silicone isn't going to run out, but its properties are. To meet the demand and to keep up the development, more high quality silicone is needed and even it is coming to its limits. At the moment biggest performance gain is achieved with smaller transistors and that is the problem because transistors are becoming so small that they are becoming unreliable by quantum tunneling (electrons can "jump" over the transistor cap). Apparently 7nm is still achieveable but 5nm may very well be only a daydream, at least with silicone. So, that is also one unsustainability factor of silicone, it just can't handle what we need from it in the future and considering ITRS stopped developing 7nm, so I would say that future is far closer than graphene getting out of the labs.

5 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Silicone isn't going to run out, but its properties are. To meet the demand and to keep up the development, more high quality silicone is needed and even it is coming to its limits. At the moment biggest performance gain is achieved with smaller transistors and that is the problem because transistors are becoming so small that they are becoming unreliable by quantum tunneling (electrons can "jump" over the transistor cap). Apparently 7nm is still achieveable but 5nm may very well be only a daydream, at least with silicone. So, that is also one unsustainability factor of silicone, it just can't handle what we need from it in the future and considering ITRS stopped developing 7nm, so I would say that future is far closer than graphene getting out of the labs.

Read these links about the silicon and sand shortage.

https://electroiq.com/2017/07/silicon-wafer-shortage-starts-in-2018/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-13/solar-companies-grapple-with-unexpected-shortage-of-key-material

https://www.npr.org/2017/07/21/538472671/world-faces-global-sand-shortage

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/environmental-issues/hidden-shortage-world-running-low-sand/

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

22 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

one terahertz. 

When your 1080ti suddenly feels like an ancient artifact...

RTX 2080 TI just got outdated before its release...

13 hours ago, samcool55 said:

It's not that hard to make though, you can make it at home if you want to experiment with DIY supercapacitors or stuff like that. Plenty of videos on YouTube on how to make and use it. What's harder is to make large sheets, but loads of smaller pieces is no problem

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 9/10/2018 at 9:48 PM, LBTT said:

silicone

Like the breast implants?

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

35 minutes ago, Tiber1337 said:

Should I wait for graphene or buy now?

It's going to be quite a while (if ever) before graphene will be availble so I would go ahead and buy now.

There is always new technology waiting around the corner. If you keep waiting for next new tech, you will never buy. It doesn't matter when or what you buy, it will be outdated shortly after you get it.

Jeannie

2 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It's going to be quite a while (if ever) before graphene will be availble so I would go ahead and buy now.

There is always new technology waiting around the corner. If you keep waiting for next new tech, you will never buy. It doesn't matter when or what you buy, it will be outdated shortly after you get it.

unless you bought a 3000 series intel CPU, those are still relevant and not outdated