EA Stands up....for Gambling

Only just heard about this on the Jimquisition.

While Valve and Blizzard have complied with Belgium's anti-gambling laws and removed loots boxes from their games in that country, EA isn't being so cooperative. When it comes to FIFA 18, EA is keeping its randomized card packs in the game, and plans the same for FIFA 19 which releases at the end of September.

"We don't believe that FIFA Ultimate Team or loot boxes are gambling firstly because players always receive a specified number of items in each pack, and secondly we don't provide or authorize any way to cash out or sell items or virtual currency for real money," Wilson said in an investor call back in May.

https://www.pcgamer.com/brussels-prosecutors-launch-investigation-into-ea-over-refusal-to-remove-loot-boxes/

If it provides a clear advantage (I say if because I don't know, I don't play FIFA or sports games at all because I view them and sports as pointless, purely my opinion and not the point of this thread at all) over other players, or in some way provides a (potential) benefit to the player, in exchange for real world currency, does that not count as gambling?

Edit: I am referring to loot boxes here, not microtransactions. Specifically I am questioning if it matters whether or not the "loot" is cosmetic only, makes it gambling. Personally I think the only argument for cosmetic loot from loot boxes not being gambling is "it has no inherent value" which is sort of a bad argument since you'd be saying it's not worth money anyways.

Full Disclosure: I am 100% anti-loot-boxes, and 100% anti-micro-transactions if they in any way provide a benefit to the player. This includes "cosmetic only" microtransactions as they're generally speaking, important to most online games. I don't want to look like everyone else in an online game. I want my Sith Lord to look rather unique and menacing EA *continues rambling for quite some time about how EA completely f**king ruined SWTOR....the bastards....

Not sure if this is allowed, mods please advise.

I first learned about it here

(timestamped)

***UPDATE***

Jim Sterling has released an updated, stand-alone video on this subject.

That is all.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yup, heard this on the Jimquisition as well. It is such an EA thing to do, to stand up for gambling.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Fifas loot box system was a HUGE income route for EA. I understand why theyre going after it, but damn. I hope they go down in flames.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Yup, heard this on the Jimquisition as well. It is such an EA thing to do, to stand up for gambling.

Kind of stupid considering they stand to look like even more massive assholes for potentially willingly engaging in a crime to further their own profits.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You can't feed a dog steak for a week then expect it to live off doggy chow the rest of it's life.  As much as this may 'pain' you.  People are buying into the whole 'Microtransactions' thing and there's f*ck all you can do to stop publishers from pursuing these routes.  Yes it's gonna ruin your favourite (and mine) studios but there's nothing you can do.  For all the 100s of people that are against micro transactions there are a 1000 more with their wallets in their hands waiting

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

We should count all the stupid things EA has done in the past 12 months.

I can't count that high.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

16 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

If it provides a clear advantage (I say if because I don't know, I don't play FIFA or sports games at all because I view them and sports as pointless, purely my opinion and not the point of this thread at all) over other players, or in some way provides a (potential) benefit to the player, in exchange for real world currency, does that not count as gambling?

What does getting advantage by the item in question have to do with gambling?

Is opening a booster pack from Magic the Gathering considered gambling as well?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

we would run out of space, even on one of those new 14TB HDD.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

we would run out of space, even on one of those new 14TB HDD.

45 Drives and Seagate should sponsor us so that we can barely fit the mistakes.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

10 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

We'd manage an overflow in the decimal system...

They seem to be putting lootboxes and crates in every single game that they release - so much so that it has become ridiculous.

Now that something is being done about it, they shy away.

5 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

You can't feed a dog steak for a week then expect it to live off doggy chow the rest of it's life.  As much as this may 'pain' you.  People are buying into the whole 'Microtransactions' thing and there's f*ck all you can do to stop publishers from pursuing these routes.  Yes it's gonna ruin your favourite (and mine) studios but there's nothing you can do.  For all the 100s of people that are against micro transactions there are a 1000 more with their wallets in their hands waiting

There isn't anything WE can do, but clearly the Belgian government can.

Why should every other development studio comply with these rules, while EA gets a free pass.

EA is profiteering from this, clearly. And even though they (players) are getting items from it, you don't know which item and it could entice more and more money spent. The literal definition of gambling is "take risky action in hope of desired result". 

This whole thing reminds me of the CSGO gambling scandal a few years ago...

12 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Not even Dewey Decimal could organize that mess.

EA saying something isn't something so they can make more money? 

color me shocked

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

As much as I despise both micro transactions and gambling, they aren't the same thing.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

25 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

(π*e)1.2x where x equals the n days that go by starting at n=0. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, Netivity said:

There isn't anything WE can do, but clearly the Belgian government can.

Why should every other development studio comply with these rules, while EA gets a free pass.

Yes Belgium have banned loot boxes on the crutch that it's similar to gambling.  I'm sure the rest of Europe will follow suit.  Not questioning that.  What about the season pass in Fortnite?  That's in no way gambling.  You can clearly see the items you will unlock before purchasing one of those.  Same with Rockstar's 'Shark Card' mechanic.  I wasn't defending EA's decision to go against a nation's laws.  I was simply stating the fact that further purchases, past a software's initial payment, is here to stay.

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

As much as I despise both micro transactions and gambling, they aren't the same thing.

Finally, I've been waiting for that comment ;-)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

14 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Yes Belgium have banned loot boxes on the crutch that it's similar to gambling.  I'm sure the rest of Europe will follow suit.  Not questioning that.  What about the season pass in Fortnite?  That's in no way gambling.  You can clearly see the items you will unlock before purchasing one of those.  Same with Rockstar's 'Shark Card' mechanic.  I wasn't defending EA's decision to go against a nation's laws.  I was simply stating the fact that further purchases, past a software's initial payment, is here to stay.

I understand that further purchases will stay. I was just expressing my opinion, or more so having a rant. 

I have no clue how shark cards or season pass fortnite things work because I play neither of those games.

But I see where you're coming from.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The set of all real and complex numbers would barely fit that in.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

8 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

The set of all real and complex numbers would barely fit that in.

Are you guys sure we can even use countable infinities for this one?

Take me back to the days where you buy the game, you get the whole game!

6 minutes ago, JuNex03 said:

Are you guys sure we can even use countable infinities for this one?

That's the set of all integers and natural numbers

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.