EA Stands up....for Gambling

1 hour ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

You can't feed a dog steak for a week then expect it to live off doggy chow the rest of it's life.  As much as this may 'pain' you.  People are buying into the whole 'Microtransactions' thing and there's f*ck all you can do to stop publishers from pursuing these routes.  Yes it's gonna ruin your favourite (and mine) studios but there's nothing you can do.  For all the 100s of people that are against micro transactions there are a 1000 more with their wallets in their hands waiting

but we can though

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Take me back to the days where you buy the game, you get the whole game!

"Games... have changed"

-Solid snake probably

On the other hand however, I'd wish they'd release a DLC to fix and finish Xenogears Disc 2... why Squaresoft!? why the fuck did you cut the content of such a masterpiece...

This is not surprising in the least. In fact, i was more surprised as to how quickly Valve and Activision Blizzard gave in to regulators, or maybe they are just pursuing a different strategy on the issue. Valve and Blizzard giving in, in an attempt to remove the issue from popular memory as quickly as possible. Meanwhile EA is doubling down in Belgium, insisting that their practices are not gambling.

EA did start this whole controversy with Battlefront 2. It's only fitting they should double down until the entire EU and the US follows up on Belgium's conclusion.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

1 minute ago, MMKing said:

This is not surprising in the least. In fact, i was more surprised as to how quickly Valve and Activision Blizzard gave in to regulators, or maybe they are just pursuing a different strategy on the issue. Valve and Blizzard giving in, in an attempt to remove the issue from popular memory as quickly as possible. Meanwhile EA is doubling down in Belgium, insisting that their practices are not gambling.

EA did start this whole controversy with Battlefront 2. It's only fitting they should double down until the entire EU and the US follows up on Belgium's conclusion.

wouldnt that be great.

Then we can go after Microtransactions next

9 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Take me back to the days where you buy the game, you get the whole game!

And a finished game with more chance of wining the lottery than finding a bugged out boss or glitch that ruins the game.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Netivity said:

There isn't anything WE can do

Just don't buy the fucking game. Problem solved.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And a finished game with more chance of wining the lottery than finding a bugged out boss or glitch that ruins the game.

I really enjoyed CoD4 and Minecraft. Both examples of great finished games that sold well, and were relatively bug-free. So old though, wish we could get exciting games as well, like a new SC.

I have to agree with EA on this, because you don't purchase anything that has monetary value. You are simply buying an in-game item that will give you more items in a randomized way.

I don't really like the whole pay to win thing... But if people want to customize their character or weapons or something, sure it's their money. DLC is nice. It adds content to a game and makes it playable longer many times. Though the whole DLC thing can get quite out of hand also... Train simulator anyone?

5b9721325ed0c_trainsimulatorDLC.thumb.PNG.c0cf784937f124189384d9bb23fd9617.PNG

Oh and it is another $40 to actually BUY the game...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 minute ago, EPENEX said:

I have to agree with EA on this, because you don't purchase anything with monetary value. You are simply buying an in-game item that will give you more items in a randomized way.

But would it not be better to have the items bought for up-front rather than reliant on chance?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You mean you don't like getting killed by a hagraven that you killed so quickly it is now invulnerable?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

But would it not be better to have the items bought for up-front rather than reliant on chance?

More people would probably prefer that, but I don't see anything wrong with them selling it that way. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

6 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

I don't really like the whole pay to win thing... But if people want to customize their character or weapons or something, sure it's their money. DLC is nice. It adds content to a game and makes it playable longer many times. Though the whole DLC thing can get quite out of hand also... Train simulator anyone?

5b9721325ed0c_trainsimulatorDLC.thumb.PNG.c0cf784937f124189384d9bb23fd9617.PNG

Oh and it is another $40 to actually BUY the game...

you could probably buy a real train with that

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

you could probably buy a real train with that

Probably, but is it SIMULATED!?11?!?11

Ea needes to stop and relook their business model. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

25 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Just don't buy the fucking game. Problem solved.

That's not realistic. 

Most AAA games coming out, or at least the one from major titles that I have played since I was a kid, EA has got their toe in.

So, before you tell me not to buy "the fucking game", take into account that the games that EA produce are either part of a series that has been around before EA had their involvement, or are games that friends play regularly TOGETHER.

Your comment was quite rude, but I thought I'd reply anyway. Next time, take it down a notch. You won't go far being a dick.

Just now, Netivity said:

You won't go far being a dick.

Keep telling yourself that.

1 minute ago, Netivity said:

That's not realistic.

Actually, it's incredibly realistic.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Keep telling yourself that.

Actually, it's incredibly realistic.

You must find it fun bashing people based on their opinions - even though it is our right to express it.

You have nothing further of value to add, however, if you want to have a personal conversation, rather than showing your macho publically on a forum, you're more than welcome to shoot me a private message to continue your conversation.

Cheers,

Just now, Netivity said:

You must find it fun bashing people based on their opinions

Except that "opinion" is an attempt at declarative statement, and is ultimately false. You can do something about it, just simply make the decision to not buy the game. There are thousands upon thousands of games one can play, and gaming isn't even remotely a necessity, it's a luxury.

1 minute ago, Netivity said:

even though it is our right to express it.

You have the right to express opinion. You don't have the right to not have that opinion mocked or challenged.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Cole5 said:

but we can though

Like what?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Like what?

simpoly no longer give them steak, if they dont eat their food they starve. Let EA starve.

Just now, Cole5 said:

simpoly no longer give them steak, if they dont eat their food they starve. Let EA starve.

How long has Ultimate Team been going in FIFA now? 5 years?  You can't starve gluttony like that mate.  There are SO MANY kids from back then that are now adults that are just conditioned into paying more for their video games now.  My two Nephews for instance.  They're BOTH on Fortnite and they both spend every bit of there pocket money on it.  By the time they're adults it'll be second nature to them.  They won't even think twice if they want something

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

What does getting advantage by the item in question have to do with gambling?

Is opening a booster pack from Magic the Gathering considered gambling as well?

3 hours ago, EPENEX said:

I have to agree with EA on this, because you don't purchase anything that has monetary value. You are simply buying an in-game item that will give you more items in a randomized way.

Gamble.PNG.173fad159a0e14355e2561c3e63a5c25.PNG

The definition of words and their legal definitions can be two different things. In the case of cards and video games the law has probably been too slow to catch on and incorporate them, although card games are somewhat more forgivable since you actually have the option to buy single cards instead of being forced to gamble. The only way in which you might be able to consider these loot boxes as not gambling is if you believe that they have no value. But doesn't that mean that they should be free?

2 hours ago, Netivity said:

That's not realistic. 

Most AAA games coming out, or at least the one from major titles that I have played since I was a kid, EA has got their toe in.

So, before you tell me not to buy "the fucking game", take into account that the games that EA produce are either part of a series that has been around before EA had their involvement, or are games that friends play regularly TOGETHER.

Your comment was quite rude, but I thought I'd reply anyway. Next time, take it down a notch. You won't go far being a dick.

Not the way I would have said it but I agree. These practices and loot systems that find themselves interfering more and more with the actual game mechanics are taking away from the final product. I'd argue that EA, Activision etc are making it quite easy to avoid buying their games since there are still many other games out there to play that aren't predatory and I haven't even considered older games yet.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

You mean you don't like getting killed by a hagraven that you killed so quickly it is now invulnerable?

It's in my top ten.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, Carclis said:

The definition of words and their legal definitions can be two different things. In the case of cards and video games the law has probably been too slow to catch on and incorporate them, although card games are somewhat more forgivable since you actually have the option to buy single cards instead of being forced to gamble. The only way in which you might be able to consider these loot boxes as not gambling is if you believe that they have no value. But doesn't that mean that they should be free?

Those bling bag toys and selecting the random option on a website for a t-shirt should be considered gambling then I guess since you are taking a chance on what you get and the end result is something tangible that has value. And just because you pay for something doesn't mean what you're buying has any value. You are unable to resell the items from EA's and Activsion's lootboxes. There was a problem with Valve and their lootboxes, since the items could be resold for actual money on third party sites, so even though they tried to claim it had no value- it does.