Apple will repair iPhones, iPads and Macs damaged by Japanese floods for free

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

It was never on the rails, the op started of with:

The whole thread was a goading before it even started.

Really? If anything I prevented the thread from derailing all that much because haters don't want themselves seen as predictable. If I hadn't mentioned it, I'm pretty sure someone who silently read it now would've gone to heaven with their keyboard.

It's just the sad truth about Apple threads here. If it's good or bad, there will always be someone just trolling

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Welcome to Apple threads

I think whether an Apple thread in this forum is positive or negative, any Apple related thread in the tech news subforum is a “trigger warning” for so many people in this forum and can’t seem to get pass their PCMR echo chamber. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I think whether an Apple thread in this forum is positive or negative, any Apple related thread in the tech news subforum is a “trigger warning” for so many people in this forum and can’t seem to get pass their PCMR echo chamber. 

I just prefer to keep it neutral 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

41 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Really? If anything I prevented the thread from derailing all that much because haters don't want themselves seen as predictable. If I hadn't mentioned it, I'm pretty sure someone who silently read it now would've gone to heaven with their keyboard.

It's just the sad truth about Apple threads here. If it's good or bad, there will always be someone just trolling

You can justify it however you want, but goading is goading.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yeah,i don't see the provoking as necessary. The criticism was due in the other threads,maybe hate to those stuck in the Apple echo chamber. And i think more just read it and leave because it's actually a good thing without much to comment on.

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Would've been better to just not put it there 

If anything, the Streisand Effect would take place 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

It's all just a big machine

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah,i don't see the provoking as necessary. The criticism was due in the other threads,maybe hate to those stuck in the Apple echo chamber. And i think more just read it and leave because it's actually a good thing without much to comment on.

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Would've been better to just not put it there 

If anything, the Streisand Effect would take place 

Absolutely on both accounts.

Criticism is always due when something deserves it, though criticism is a response, the OP has not responded to anyone but insinuated a tone and made claims about it before it even happened. In fact if we read the thread from the start the first two responses that aren't on topic are in direct response the OP's provocation.   It absolutely threw the thread of and I can't understand why anyone would think it had the opposite effect.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

It's all just a big machine

with little knobs and a red button that no one is sure what it does, which may lend itself to a comical finale.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Absolutely on both accounts.

Criticism is always due when something deserves it, though criticism is a response, the OP has not responded to anyone but insinuated a tone and made claims about it before it even happened. In fact if we read the thread from the start the first two responses that aren't on topic are in direct response the OP's provocation.   It absolutely threw the thread of and I can't understand why anyone would think it had the opposite effect.

I often agree with you, but you've made multiple posts on this thread, and I don't think a single one was on topic. You have contributed to the "derailment" far more than the OP.

Let's bring this back on topic, and ignore off topic comments (whether in defense of, or attacking Apple).

On topic: This is great news. Flooding can be pretty traumatic when you lose your entire life's possessions. Furthermore not everyone will have insurance (whether they can't afford it, didn't know it existed, or simply took the risk without it).

I hope other companies step up and match Apple's offer.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

I guess they will have tons of devices flooding inn!

It's Japan not America or Europe

17 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The one caveat to this is the devices have to be repairable. If they are totally trashed there is not much they can do.  

Maybe they'll buy a crest ultrasonic cleaner from store.rosssmanngro-

oh

The new iphones having liquid resistance will definitely be a saving grace here, the remaining devices should probably be fairly easy to repair or replace, just curious how far they'll go

Aww now i pity all the people who have to repair these. They are flooded with broken iPhones, Macs, iPads, iPods... to repair.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

Time for Linus to toss that doorstop of an iMac into the sea and get it fixed.

this clearly seems to me as a marketing stunt over a tragedy, to improve their headlines, something they need desperately. It results in a good action and that is amazing, still...  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

funny response for someone who doesn't care.

I'm effected the same as everyone else who reacted to the OP's comments.  It's just I don't have a problem with apple being charitable, I have a problem with unnecessary antagonism that assumes people will.

There's literally like one person who directly replied to my comment and that itself was an admission of innocence and nothing more. You were the one who came flailing and completely derailed the thread by trying to make an issue out of nothing. Everyone was just either commenting about this move by Apple or commenting on Apple in general (and there's nothing wrong with that)

What are you even trying to achieve here? It's no secret that people here like to shit on Apple for literally anything they do, whether good or bad. And I wrote my opinion about it, nothing more. Just deal with it.

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

You were the one who came flailing and completely derailed the thread by trying to make an issue out of nothing. Everyone was just either commenting about this move by Apple or commenting on Apple in general (and there's nothing wrong with that)

Sorry to say this, but just by responding to him when the thread was just starting to get back on track, you made it worse. 

The thread is already back on rails. Just let it run.

I think this is a great move of Apple in showing sympathy to the Japanese floods victims. The disaster that happened in Japan needs fast repair and reconstruction and any help we can make will be of benefit to them. So I'm glad and thankful, in the action did by Apple.

26 minutes ago, Maria Phene said:

I think this is a great move of Apple in showing sympathy to the Japanese floods victims. The disaster that happened in Japan needs fast repair and reconstruction and any help we can make will be of benefit to them. So I'm glad and thankful, in the action did by Apple.

Just goes to show that enough hard work and ingenuity, and you can have an entire country in an area very prone to natural disasters.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 7/28/2018 at 5:50 PM, PokiDaSpitz said:

Aww now i pity all the people who have to repair these. They are flooded with broken iPhones, Macs, iPads, iPods... to repair.

More realistically they'll just replace them with refurbs they already have and new products when those run out. Flood damage is pretty hard to repair in a cost effective way, especially on tightly integrated products like macs and mobile devices.

On 7/28/2018 at 5:41 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

The new iphones having liquid resistance will definitely be a saving grace here, the remaining devices should probably be fairly easy to repair or replace, just curious how far they'll go

That's only if you assume most damaged iphones are new - and even then, if the screen is cracked the liquid resistance doesn't work. I think they'll just provide a new or refurbished product in return.

On 7/28/2018 at 11:35 AM, RedRound2 said:

If I hadn't mentioned it, I'm pretty sure someone who silently read it now would've gone to heaven with their keyboard.

I doubt it, if people really wanted to hate on it just because it's Apple they'd have done so regardless - you just gave them a reason to do it. To be fair, if anyone should be criticized for your statements that would be you... not Apple.

inb4 apple still sucks and they're doing this as a publicity stunt (sure they may be, but it costs them alot and they'll get customer satisfaction in return)

I suggest you avoid this sort of provocation next time, unless you're willing to accept that people will call you out for generalizing. Even if you don't say that "everyone" is like this, many people will feel you're taking an unwarranted jab at them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Reminds me of when my father walked into a Docomo (Japanese carrier) with his iPhone 5 that he dropped into the toilet (i.e. water damaged), told the assistants it wouldn't turn on and walked with a brand new iPhone 6s after paying a difference (<10000 yen). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Sounds cheap to other disaster ridden regions. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

10 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

There's literally like one person who directly replied to my comment and that itself was an admission of innocence and nothing more. You were the one who came flailing and completely derailed the thread by trying to make an issue out of nothing. Everyone was just either commenting about this move by Apple or commenting on Apple in general (and there's nothing wrong with that)

What are you even trying to achieve here? It's no secret that people here like to shit on Apple for literally anything they do, whether good or bad. And I wrote my opinion about it, nothing more. Just deal with it.

see this:

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

I doubt it, if people really wanted to hate on it just because it's Apple they'd have done so regardless - you just gave them a reason to do it. To be fair, if anyone should be criticized for your statements that would be you... not Apple.

I suggest you avoid this sort of provocation next time, unless you're willing to accept that people will call you out for generalizing. Even if you don't say that "everyone" is like this, many people will feel you're taking an unwarranted jab at them.

Japan is a huge market for Apple and Japanese people demand high level of support for anything. So I am not surprised. It is much cheaper to repair everything for free in the long run because they want customer loyalty and assurance that their next product will be Apple as well.