Apple will repair iPhones, iPads and Macs damaged by Japanese floods for free

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/27/apple-repair-japanese-flood-iphone-ipad-mac-free/

Since positive news about Apple rarely ever get covered since people get emotionally hurt whenever Apple tries to do something good, I'll share one

In a support article posted overnight, Apple announced that it will repair any iPhones, Macs, iPads and iPods that were directly damaged by the devastating heavy floods that swept through Japan this month. Apple expressed its sympathies for anyone who was affected by the flooding, which has tragically caused hundreds of deaths.

The support naturally goes against Apple’s standard repair policies, which strictly exclude water damage. Apple says that it will attempt to repair any damaged products for free, including via courier delivery

So there you have it. There's literally nothing more to say about this.

inb4 apple still sucks and they're doing this as a publicity stunt (sure they may be, but it costs them alot and they'll get customer satisfaction in return)

Good on them for doing so. 

Also, just to respond to your OP, I don't hate Apple but I hold them accountable to their actions if they do anything wrong. I give them credit where it is due however. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Not everyone does in the forum, that's my point

Because since Jobs died there has been very little credit to give Apple. Its just not as good a company as it used to be.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The one caveat to this is the devices have to be repairable. If they are totally trashed there is not much they can do.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

The one caveat to this is the devices have to be repairable. If they are totally trashed there is not much they can do.  

But since Apple is doing this for free, I’m guessing they wouldn’t care if it’s water damaged inside or not. Good for them to do this. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

I guess they will have tons of devices flooding inn!

I think it’s because of the fact that Apple has a huge number of users in Japan and its a market where iOS has a bigger marketshare than Android. https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/29/15892640/iphone-anniversary-japan-success-emoji-history 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Because since Jobs died there has been very little credit to give Apple. Its just not as good a company as it used to be.

And this is where the nostalgia rears it’s ugly head. 

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

But I feel that they're more open to public input. Bigger iPhones, smaller iphones, upcoming mac pro, software suggestions, etc. Also you have to remember that the competition wasn't as intense when Jobs was around. But we'll never know for sure.

But software quality control has gotten really bad, but I think it's pretty much fixed with this year's iOS 12 and Mojave release

Sweet so I can double dip...insurance pays for my phone and then apple repairs it for free!

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Does it include flooding via soy or tamari sauce? What about by saké? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, TechGod said:

And this is where the nostalgia rears it’s ugly head. 

Apple's products have plateaued then gotten worse since he died...

PMSL

Well now we know what it takes to get apple to repair the device you bought...  A natural disaster 

13 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Absolutely false. Thanks for playing though 

How so?

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Well, it certainly didn't take long for the thread to fall off its rails and burn like hell.

It was never on the rails, the op started of with:

5 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

... since people get emotionally hurt whenever Apple tries to do something good,

inb4 apple still sucks and they're doing this as a publicity stunt ...

The whole thread was a goading before it even started.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It was never on the rails, the op started of with:

The whole thread was a goading before it even started.

Well sure, but people didn't have to escalate it lol
Certainly that doesn't help.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Well sure, but people didn't have to escalate it lol
Certainly that doesn't help.

It didn't escalate though, its been just as derailed as it began. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As far as I'm concerned, this balances out the issues of the MBP 2018, nothing more.

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

since Jobs died there has been very little credit to give Apple.

Apple was due nearly no credit under Jobs either.

1 hour ago, TechGod said:

Absolutely false. Thanks for playing though 

It's not really that false though. The entire consumer tech industry has plateaued, and Apple's quality standards on some of their machines (MacBooks being the big victim of the design philosophy) has lead to worse build quality. Same goes for other ultrabooks, but Apple seems to be the second worst offender.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

So there you have it. There's literally nothing more to say about this.

inb4 apple still sucks and they're doing this as a publicity stunt (sure they may be, but it costs them alot and they'll get customer satisfaction in return)

Thats a bit rude tbh, this would be costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Home and contents insurance would reimburse it anyway if its that. 

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

It didn't escalate though, its been just as derailed as it began. 

Welcome to Apple threads

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1